• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preboarding Jumpseaters on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a general rule, is it okay to preboard or do you wait for your letter to come up? I can see preboarding in case the capt., for whatever reason, deny's the jumpseater, but then again I can see why on a full flight they'd like the freeloader to sit in the middle club seat. Can any SWA guys shed light on this? It's always a little awkward to preboard.

Good topic

I don't care whether I board first or last. I don't care where I sit, exit or middle of the last row. All I want is a seat!!!!!!

bUT Wait, There's more. I would also like for the agents to give me enough info on your procedures so that I won't embarass myself in the process. If you guys (SWA) don't allow preboarding jumpseaters to select an exit seat, then your agent should explain that upon check in. If you want jumpseaters to wait until last to board, fine, but please have that explained at the counter. Finally, take some pity on the poor offline jumpseater. We are not privy to your inside info and not all of your ops agents/stations are consistent in their procedures, a fact that leaves us swaying in the wind about half the time.

I grovel well, and don't mind kissing buttt to get a seat, but sometimes you people attach meanings to our actions that just are not justifiable. For example, for years I jumped on SWA and was almost always asked by the Captain to take an exit seat so as to help the FA's. So, to the crew who took offense to my exit seat selection, I WASNT TRYING TO STEAL THE BEST SEAT FROM YOUR CUSTOMERS, I was just doing what once was standard procedure. There was no need to act as if the act was criminal. Geez.

For the record, I luv you boys and appreciate the ride. I prefer to just fade into the background & truly don't wish to EVER be the cause of any trouble when begging for a ride. Thanks for listening.

:)

OK im confused......Do OAL jumpseater preboard or not? seem expected to in FLL and STL seems surprised at me asking about it. whats the program? i can follow any rule as long as i know what it is....CLE preboarded me a while ago too.

You are getting a free ride and it is a company policy that we sit toward the rear of the aircraft. We often have two if not three bags so being able to preboard helps in order to store our bags. If we continually abuse the preboard priviledge it will be taken away then we will be forced to board last forcing us very often to check or bags. Sitting in the aft portion of the aircraft is a courtesy to our paying passengers.

On this topic, I am cursed with seeing both sides!
For many years, I have pre-boarded and of course, took the exit row. Also saw a few wrinkled brows from paying passengers that I had jumped in front of.
I got the word, I no longer take those great seats. (Glad to take ANY seat! And SWA has always been one of the BEST!) Completely fair and I sit NEAR an exit, now.

But, on the other side. In an emergency, wouldn't you want a crewmember at the exit? I nearly ALWAYS watch the exit row people read their mags and ignore the briefings. I even saw a BLIND passenger throw a ********************-fit over "discrimination" when he tried to sit in the exit row! Total condition "White", if you're read Cooper. JB had this policy, also. Even with assigned seats, paying pax got the exits, NEVER a non-rev or jumpseater.
That seems to have fallen by the wayside. Thank goodness, because that was STUPID!
Bottom line: Exit row pax= good business, diminished safety.
Non-rev or JS= bad PR, perhaps safer.
Gee whiz, historically, which will the companies choose?

canyonblue737 said:
I said "FAA Supervision" because when SWA changed the rule it went into the manuals and when it goes in the manuals it is enforcable by the FAA and they do enforce it, ON SWA, which has the rule. Notice I didn't say FAR.
AH, gotcha... I read it within a few seconds of reading the OTHER post where the poor guy thought it was an FAR and thought you were agreeing with that.

Absolutely if it's in the manuals it becomes regulatory.

Again, thanks for all the great rides back and forth to DTW; an easy commute is about the ONLY thing I'm going to miss about not working for a Northwest feeder anymore... :D

(p.s. Personally, I like the last row in the aircraft on the aisle - almost NO ONE will take that middle seat unless it's the last one on the aircraft, plus the "sway" rocks me to sleep, making me oblivious to the reduced leg room. ;) )

:-) said:
\I would also like for the agents to give me enough info on your procedures so that I won't embarass myself in the process. If you guys (SWA) don't allow preboarding jumpseaters to select an exit seat, then your agent should explain that upon check in.
:)
Why should the gate agents have to explain to you that you shouldn't be a selfish freeloader? Why should the gate agent have to treat you like a child instead of a professional who is getting a FREE RIDE?

Every airline with a union has taught it's new hires the aspects of jump seating. Talk to the captain, dress properly, sit in the back, get off last, say thank you.

It's really not that hard if you think about other people before yourself.

Last edited:
DH2WN said:
Why should the gate agents have to explain to you that you shouldn't be a selfish freeloader? Why should the gate agent have to treat you like a child instead of a professional who is getting a FREE RIDE?

Every airline with a union has taught it's new hires the aspects of jump seating. Talk to the captain, dress properly, sit in the back, get off last, say thank you.

It's really not that hard if you think about other people before yourself.

In spite of all the valid questions/confusion based on changing practices/priorities, there's always some gashole to come along and prove he has poor reading comprehension. Congratulations, DH2WN.

Gate agents aren't consistent. Captains aren't consistent. Company policies/procedures change. Some airlines don't provide any training on jumpseat practices. But apparently you always live in a black and white world. Must be nice to always know just the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back