Preboarding Jumpseaters on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skiandsurf said:
I had a guy try to jumpseat that had a license that looked like a credit card. It was green and had two other guys pictures on it. I asked my FO if he had ever seen anything like this and he said "no". We showed him what a "real" license looked like.....just paper with no pictures. I was going to call the airport police, but the "jumpseater" left. Has anyone else ran into this guy with this "bogus" license.

Are you serious? You must know that the new certificates are exactly what youre describing. Hook set, yank me into the boat.......

TR4A said:
As a captain for this airline we are confused also. The policy keeps changing and I do not have anything in writing. I would prefer you preboard but it all depends on the ops agent. Some want you to preboard some do not. I would check with the ops agent at the gate before the aircraft gets there. The CSA (customer service agent), the one who checked you in, might not have a correct answer. I will try and ask our jumpseat coordinator what the current policy is.

I think the problem here is everyone assumes SWA will have open seats and not a full airplane. If you preboard on a full flight, the gate agent is taking a chance of turning away a customer or pulling you off the flight for a revenue passenger. Common sense tells you to do what the gate agent tells you to do (preboard or board with your card letter). Again, this will depend on flight loads. If you are not sure, just ask. I've used SWA several times to jumpseat and every experience was great.

As a Capt for JetBlue, I'm required to be thorough when checking the credentials/CASS approval of a jumpseater when he/she is riding in the cockpit. However, our FOM states the gate agents are to check credentials when the jumpseater is assigned a seat in the cabin. JetBlue has a multiple jumpseat policy. I've seen at times 10 or more offline jumpseaters on our flights (both pilots and FA's). If I had to check everyone's paperwork, we'd never have an ontime departure! JetBlue doesn't even have a jumpseat form to sign! I like that policy and so do our jumpseaters...No begging for a ride, just get on and have a great trip to work or home!

Last edited:
I had a guy try to jumpseat that had a license that looked like a credit card. It was green and had two other guys pictures on it. I asked my FO if he had ever seen anything like this and he said "no". We showed him what a "real" license looked like.....just paper with no pictures. I was going to call the airport police, but the "jumpseater" left. Has anyone else ran into this guy with this "bogus" license.

This is funny...

by jhill
Only an a$$ like yourself would ask. Do what you are told when taking a free ride. Pre-boarding is a privilege we are glad to have. Shut-up and do what the fa's ask or don't ask to ride

Truly an educated reply on your part. It must surely be a pleasure to fly with you. Obviously your flamboyant personality is the reason you have survived so long in this industry. What a piece of work!

Out of my home airport I have been preboarded on SWA for years (thanks!). Jumpseated yesterday out of DEN (not my home airport), but this time given a C boarding card. Watched two other jumpers preboard. I waited and boarded last, asked the gate agent what the policy was she stated if your riding in the cockpit then you get to preboard, otherwise you get a boarding card assigned based on your arrival time and board just like a non-rev would (i.e. if you get a B card, you board with the B's). She said that I didn't even need to check in with the crew if I was riding in the back. I said, OK but I'll check in anyway as a courtesy. Mentioned this to the Capt and he said that any jumpers on his plane had better check in with him. Took my quiet seat in the back and got home with no worries...by the way the other pre boarded jumpers were seated in the back as well.
Sounds like some inconsistencies in SWA policy around the system. I'll do whatever it takes to get a free ride and was more than happy to return the favor last week to a SWA pilot jumping on our flight. I took the FA jumpseat and let him have the cockpit so we could both get on. What comes around goes around.
Everybody play nice! You don't need to show attitude (indeed where is the LUV?) to someone with legitimate questions about inconsistencies in an imperfect but very helpful system (jumpseating).

Spectre said:
JetBlue doesn't even have a jumpseat form to sign! I like that policy and so do our jumpseaters...

With all due respect, I have always been treated good on JetBlue, But I HATE the trouble I go through just to get the jumpseat boarding pass on jetblue. It usually takes at least 5 minutes...."whats your phone number? whats your address?" In my opinion, an airline that is computer friendly (EFBs), this is the worst policy.

Whenever I get to the front of the line, the line stops for at least 5 minutes.

I have been treated great by every airline that I have ever jumpseated on. Thanks to UAL, AA, SWA, JB, AW. .....I did have a problem with a UAL FA one time. I had already checked in with the Flight Crew, and was waiting for the "A" FA to come forward so I could check in with her. She was in the back taking care of an issue. The other FA at the front door insisted that I take a seat in First Class without checking with the "A". I was hesitant to do so. Then she said, " I am working the Business class so just go sit there and all is good." I went and sat down in Business Class. During Taxi-out, the "A" came and talked to me and told me after we take-off, she would like for me to move to the back, Coach. Well after we were airborne, she came back and said stay where I was......After the flight, I talked to the captain, he apologized to me. Apparently these 2 FAs took this into the cockpit. The "A" thought that I just took any open seat, when in fact I waited till someone told me where to sit. The "A" got mad at the other FA for telling me to sit there instead of putting me in Coach......one bad story in 10+ years of jumpseating, thats not too bad at all.

jhill said:
Only an a$$ like yourself would ask. Do what you are told when taking a free ride. Pre-boarding is a privilege we are glad to have. Shut-up and do what the fa's ask or don't ask to ride

Amen. Can you explain this to asshat LEAR70?

If you don't know the rules of a specific airline's policy with respect to jumpseating then don't jumpseat on them. If you can't take the 5 minute responsibility of familiarizing yourself with the airline you are about to take a FREE seat from then stay on your own carrier's jumpseat.

I use SWA at least once a week to get to work. For the most part from what I have seen from gate agents and crews is as follows. If you are a jumpseater, with or without a lettered boarding card, preboard AFTER all others have preboarded. If the flight looks full, preboard, talk to captain, then take a seat or stand in jetway. Most of the crews tell me to take a seat on the isle and if they need to call me up, then get up and sit in cockpit. I have been told by numerous agents to always always preboard as a jumpseater. I did have an agent though, last week tell me to board with my group if you have an A B or C boarding card. This was the first time I was ever told this in over 5 years of using SWA. I just agreed and moved on.

I even try to catch the Captain if he or she gets off to grab some food. They always seem to thank me and tell me to preboard if I want, and enjoy.

Great crews and SWA!! Always willing to help me get to and from work.
Thanks guys!!

DH2WN said:
Amen. Can you explain this to asshat LEAR70?

If you don't know the rules of a specific airline's policy with respect to jumpseating then don't jumpseat on them. If you can't take the 5 minute responsibility of familiarizing yourself with the airline you are about to take a FREE seat from then stay on your own carrier's jumpseat.
I'm surprised that a SWA pilot would be such a jerk about this. The point is: your "policy" is inconsistently applied from station to station and from agent to agent.

Again, I know of no offline commuter who doesn't appreciate the ride. We all go out of our way to avoid causing any sort of a problem to the point of swallowing all pride to get a seat. Your arrogance is disappointing.

Your posts seem to indicate that you have seen a great deal of lack of appreciation from your offline jumpseaters. If so, then you should report their name to your jumpseat coordinator. If my airlines coordinator hears about one of our guys causing problems on your airline, I'll guarantee that the offender will get a phone call to help him appreciate the jumpseat.

enigma

enigma said:
I'm surprised that a SWA pilot would be such a jerk about this. The point is: your "policy" is inconsistently applied from station to station and from agent to agent.

Again, I know of no offline commuter who doesn't appreciate the ride. We all go out of our way to avoid causing any sort of a problem to the point of swallowing all pride to get a seat. Your arrogance is disappointing.

Your posts seem to indicate that you have seen a great deal of lack of appreciation from your offline jumpseaters. If so, then you should report their name to your jumpseat coordinator. If my airlines coordinator hears about one of our guys causing problems on your airline, I'll guarantee that the offender will get a phone call to help him appreciate the jumpseat.

enigma
AMEN!!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back