• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preboarding Jumpseaters on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If being a jerk means I demand my jumpseaters put the passengers in front of their own needs then I guess I'm a jerk.

Sorry but my company's future revenue is more important then your commute.

At least, I know I'm respectful of other airlines desires.

DH2WN said:
If being a jerk means I demand my jumpseaters put the passengers in front of their own needs then I guess I'm a jerk.

DH2WN Do you commute?

Flydaplane said:
Out of my home airport I have been preboarded on SWA for years (thanks!). Jumpseated yesterday out of DEN (not my home airport), but this time given a C boarding card. Watched two other jumpers preboard. I waited and boarded last, asked the gate agent what the policy was she stated if your riding in the cockpit then you get to preboard, otherwise you get a boarding card assigned based on your arrival time and board just like a non-rev would (i.e. if you get a B card, you board with the B's). She said that I didn't even need to check in with the crew if I was riding in the back. I said, OK but I'll check in anyway as a courtesy. Mentioned this to the Capt and he said that any jumpers on his plane had better check in with him. Took my quiet seat in the back and got home with no worries...by the way the other pre boarded jumpers were seated in the back as well.
Sounds like some inconsistencies in SWA policy around the system. I'll do whatever it takes to get a free ride and was more than happy to return the favor last week to a SWA pilot jumping on our flight. I took the FA jumpseat and let him have the cockpit so we could both get on. What comes around goes around.
Everybody play nice! You don't need to show attitude (indeed where is the LUV?) to someone with legitimate questions about inconsistencies in an imperfect but very helpful system (jumpseating).

There is some inconsistency.

What I would do.....You get the C card from the podium. Quietly ask the ops agent, if they have a free moment, if he/she would like you to stand in the C line or preboard as a jump seater. More than likely preboard is what they want. They may change their mind on days when the plane is full vs. empty. Also, many of the customer service folks are brand new. Help them out by asking the right questions at the right time to jog their memory on what should be done. I think they forget you need to talk with the Captain and they generally want jumpseaters to go first to improve the chances of an on-time push.

If the plane is almost full I have seen a few jumpseaters preboard and the last one or two board C. They don't want you to get all the way to the back if you have to be bumped or sit in the cockpit.

Always, Always search out the Captain. They are almost always cool but the face to face is required by all I know. They want to see an effort. They want to make sure you are who you say you are in case you get bumped into the cockpit. They also don't want anyone to develop a habit of not checking in. I believe some Captains delegate the check in to the FO, but many do not.

DH2WN said:
as if it matters.
It absolutely matters.

It points out your obvious ignorance of the difficulties commuters face when trying to get to work and having to work out different jumpseat options on different companies.

Like we said, you obviously don't understand that every company has a slightly different jumpseat policy and NONE OF THEM ARE PUBLISHED ANYWHERE. Therefore, most of us use the MOST COMMON rules which, we NOW know thanks to this board, have more restrictive rules at Southwest.

I could give a monkey rat's a*s about the emergency exit row, I'm happy and content to leave it alone for the privilege of jumpseating on Southwest, but to jump all over someone for not working there and therefore not having access to this policy is simply rediculous - only a commuter would understand.

It's amazing to me how 99% of the jumpseat problems are created by the 20% of the pilot world that doesn't commute... they just don't get it.

Lear70 said:
It's amazing to me how 99% of the jumpseat problems are created by the 20% of the pilot world that doesn't commute... they just don't get it.

I commute every day pal. Get off your high horse.

DH2WN said:
I commute every day pal. Get off your high horse.

Brother if anyone has a high horse it is you. You state that jumpseaters should "take the time" to learn other company's procedures. Where should they go for that informaion?

DH2WN said:

Yes, but you sir, in your tone and choice of words, show absolutely no respect to other people.

ivauir said:
Brother if anyone has a high horse it is you. You state that jumpseaters should "take the time" to learn other company's procedures. Where should they go for that informaion?
Ahhh, union? Call the company. Call ALPA. Call SWAPA. etc....

I have called ALPA numerous times to find out about a specific carrier's rules to jump seating. Do I need to be in uniform? Do I go to the gate or some other location? How about FedEX? Can't just show up can you? A FedEx pilot gave me a card of phone numbers to call for jumpseating you can easily get by calling their ops. As for us, I know SWAPA is more than happy to help a pilot of any carrier, even AA, out.

I commuted on US Air for years and I called their rep. before my first jump seat. He sent me a short form of rules and regs. He was very appreciative and excited someone took the time to read what he carefully put together, since he knew most could care less but to think of only, 'me', 'me', and 'me.'

"Brother", it's not that hard. If you have enough concern then you make the time for it. Problem is, too many people have decided it's their right to fly on a free ticket, as if it's their special privilege for wearing a polyester uniform. I don't care what their union negotiated. They didn't negotiate with SWA and if our passengers aren't respected or put ahead of themselves then their off. No exceptions. Laziness isn't an excuse for not doing the research.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back