Preboarding Jumpseaters on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
enigma said:
I'm surprised that a SWA pilot would be such a jerk about this. The point is: your "policy" is inconsistently applied from station to station and from agent to agent.

Again, I know of no offline commuter who doesn't appreciate the ride. We all go out of our way to avoid causing any sort of a problem to the point of swallowing all pride to get a seat. Your arrogance is disappointing.

Your posts seem to indicate that you have seen a great deal of lack of appreciation from your offline jumpseaters. If so, then you should report their name to your jumpseat coordinator. If my airlines coordinator hears about one of our guys causing problems on your airline, I'll guarantee that the offender will get a phone call to help him appreciate the jumpseat.

enigma
Well said, sir.

enigma said:
I'm surprised that a SWA pilot would be such a jerk about this. The point is: your "policy" is inconsistently applied from station to station and from agent to agent.

Again, I know of no offline commuter who doesn't appreciate the ride. We all go out of our way to avoid causing any sort of a problem to the point of swallowing all pride to get a seat. Your arrogance is disappointing.

Your posts seem to indicate that you have seen a great deal of lack of appreciation from your offline jumpseaters. If so, then you should report their name to your jumpseat coordinator. If my airlines coordinator hears about one of our guys causing problems on your airline, I'll guarantee that the offender will get a phone call to help him appreciate the jumpseat.

enigma

I honestly wonder if this person is a SWA pilot. Whoever he is he posts a lot of negative stuff and is hostile to anyonewho dares disagree with him.
Please continue to jumpseat on us. There is always going to be inconsistancies in how our policies are applied - sometimes it is for good reason (a full flight versus an empty one) and some times for no good reason. That is just life, nothihng a smile and chocolate can't fix.

Two things...

First, SWA is different. They're different because of their unique boarding procedure and it is confusing for jumpseaters who aren't familair with their proceedures.

Second, from what I've been able to figure out, if you are verified through CASS you will not be given a boarding card, just the 4th/jumpseat form. In those cases, preboard. If you are not verified through CASS (sometimes the agents won't go through the trouble on a lightly booked flight) then they'll give you a boarding card and you board with your group.

Some ops agents will preboard a jumpseater with a lettered boarding card, many will not.

That said, SWA is always my first choice whether jumpseating or flying on a paid ticket. In fact, I'm typing this while sitting in the SWA terminal in LAS waiting for my flight (on a company paid ticket). I've always been treated great when flying on SWA and been made to feel particularly welcome when jumpseating. You SWA guys do a great job.

SkiandSurf:
That is the new design certificate. Please don't throw me off your plane when I show up with it. Everyone who has to get a new one for whatever reason (I had them remove my SSN as certificate no.) will get the new one. Eventually your picture will be on it along with Orville and Wilbur mugs.

All

Please excuse the jerks that have posted on here. They are either not employed by SWA or some how slipped by the interview process.

Yes there are inconsistencies in our jumpseat procedures. The best thing to do is to check with the Ops Agent. I don't know other airline's jumpseat procedures unless I have used them before. I am an on-line commuter SEA-OAK. I sometimes use Alaska and they have been great. Thanks.

Come by and ride with us. You are always welcome on my jumpseat.

Jumpseaters will always be held in high regard with me. Those of us that do it, need to take care of each other.

Thanks for the kind words and the open invites, guys. THAT'S the kind of professionalism I've been used to seeing on Southwest the last 7 years I've been jumpseating to work on them almost every week.

Come and ride an airTran flight anytime, the XM Satellite radio is a great way to drown out the screaming kids on the way to Orlando... :D

Flydaplane said:
Out of my home airport I have been preboarded on SWA for years (thanks!). Jumpseated yesterday out of DEN (not my home airport), but this time given a C boarding card. Watched two other jumpers preboard. I waited and boarded last, asked the gate agent what the policy was she stated if your riding in the cockpit then you get to preboard, otherwise you get a boarding card assigned based on your arrival time and board just like a non-rev would (i.e. if you get a B card, you board with the B's).Took my quiet seat in the back and got home with no worries...by the way the other pre boarded jumpers were seated in the back as well.
Offcially that is the policy even for SWA jumpseaters. If there are 3 SWA pilots jumpseating the 1st two jumpseaters are considered cockpit and they preboard, while the 3rd is considered cabin and goes down with his letter boarding group (unless he is an FFDO and then he also preboards). That being said thankfully most OP agents are strict enforcers of that policy. However I can understand when some Op agents want to enforce the policy because when it is not enforced they are the ones that may have to answer to their supervisors, not me.

Last edited:
canyonblue and tr4a, thanks for the info and kind words. All of the swa crews I have had the pleasure of meeting have been very courteous and professional. All the best.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back