• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Practical cost savings for ASA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kudos to you for a well articulated response.

Look, I'm not personally attacking any one specific individual, nor am I attempting to be 'disrespectful'. Also, I specifically avoided framing my thoughts in an adversarial pilots versus the khaki-wearers way. My sentiments here aren't personal: I'm being strictly analytical. Let's face the facts here: our future as a company, and therefore my immediate professional future, depends on reigning in costs. I get it.

I believe that my tenure here is an asset, not an impediment to objective thought. On three separate occasions I toured the GO and observed the same thing: a lot of people not doing a whole lot.

Prior to flying, my background was business consulting and teaching. I obviously don't have access to ASA's books, the real ones with day to day, pro forma data, but I do have the experience and common sense to know that there was a LOT of wasted payroll dollars.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, consult. I have, as somebody who actually ran a company (meeting a payroll, paying the bills, meeting sales goals, actually turning a profit), in addition to the consulting and teaching, met your kind. For the most part, even the best of your kind are good at suggesting, lousy at implementing.

You are not being analytical, you are being "observational." As such, you are making a sweeping observation based on a couple of visits to a site. It is very easy to observe and say "there are too many people here!" I am the consultant! Here me roar!

I offer as a story... a buddy of mine, late thirties, simple guy. Single, no kids, 45K a year. Worked for a small company and was very good at his job. Could breeze through most of his day. When the poo hit the fan, he handled it quietly and efficiently.The company hired a consultant to evaluate the processes at the company and look for cost efficiencies. The "consultant" came in, saw that he seemed "idle" (as the company owner put in on the day he was released). They replaced him with a $30K new hire.

In a one month period: The company took a $100K fine from their regulators. They also lost the contract associated with the fine. They hired another person at $30K to work with the newly hired $30K employee.

It is very easy to consult. It's hard to actually do something.

The fact remains though, that ASA has cut some costs somewhere, somehow. It is never fun to go through things like this when they do occur. How do you trim costs without ruffling feathers? Better implementation? Unfortunately, jobs will be lost in an effort to streamline and operational sections will be merged with other ones. My wife was one of those who lost a job paying 75K when Cingular was merged with ATT. We had 35K in the savings account for a rainy day. That rainy day turned into 9 months. Crap happens in the real world. Get over it.

Yeah, you've been around long enough, <sarcasm>I'm sure you can relate...</sarcasm>

There you go again SmackTard. Just beating that little old FO that already has a hard time flying much less finding his testosterone to make comments like that.

Last edited:
Those who can, do. Those who can't, consult. I have, as somebody who actually ran a company (meeting a payroll, paying the bills, meeting sales goals, actually turning a profit), in addition to the consulting and teaching, met your kind. For the most part, even the best of your kind are good at suggesting, lousy at implementing.

You are not being analytical, you are being "observational." As such, you are making a sweeping observation based on a couple of visits to a site. It is very easy to observe and say "there are too many people here!" I am the consultant! Here me roar!

I offer as a story... a buddy of mine, late thirties, simple guy. Single, no kids, 45K a year. Worked for a small company and was very good at his job. Could breeze through most of his day. When the poo hit the fan, he handled it quietly and efficiently.The company hired a consultant to evaluate the processes at the company and look for cost efficiencies. The "consultant" came in, saw that he seemed "idle" (as the company owner put in on the day he was released). They replaced him with a $30K new hire.

In a one month period: The company took a $100K fine from their regulators. They also lost the contract associated with the fine. They hired another person at $30K to work with the newly hired $30K employee.

Please, please, allow me to mediate this!

Maybe, both of you could be right! Give that observation some consideration! I call it a draw!

By the way, why did the "Implementation Man" quit his other job if he was such a legend and so successful at "Implementing?" If all you said is true, this place must drive you nuts!

At your business, did the employees in support positions answer their phones, and if they really were busy when the phone rang, did they answer their voice mail? Did they solve problems, or pass the buck! Was your payroll department efficient and reliable, or was it an ongoing nightmare, month after month?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Do you feel better now?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back