Post Office aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Midnight Flyer said:
I know there were some other supplimentals in there too, but can't quite remember.

Bringin' back memories from the few months I flew mail to the IND hub before FedEx took over! The "feeder trash" ramp was way off to the side, and the regulars consisted of a Shorts, a couple Convairs, a Sewer Pipe or two, a 1900, and a handful of Vans....if I remember right.

You 727 guys had some serious card-games going on in the lounge.

How would you guys transport the mail? say, in a 727. did you just throw the standard bags of mail into luggage containers and load them that way? i know that the USPS has several containers that hold mail (APC's, OTR's, etc), i'm just not sure if those go on planes or not. also, for the smaller aircraft like the shorts and beech 1900's, how would you guys load the plane w/ mail?

cforst513 said:
for the smaller aircraft like the shorts and beech 1900's, how would you guys load the plane w/ mail?

The big boys are loaded with a series of "cans" that were eached loaded with mail/boxes and individually weighed.

Our Convair was "bulk-loaded" meaning the mail was basically dumped onto the floor of the plane and distributed into 5 or 6 "piles" that were held down with big cargo nets. Loose mail was bagged into big yellow bags. Each pile had a weight associated with it, but I never did the W/B's so I don't really know how that was determined. Since our cargo door was about 7 feet up in the air, the loaders used a belt-loader to get the mail bags and boxes up into the plane. Live cargo (baby chickens, crickets/grasshoppers or whatever the he11 they were) were loaded back towards the tail. Yeah, the occasional package slipped off the top of the belt loader or out the door and took a 7-foot freefall to the ground, but surprisingly not as often as you might think.

yeah, the baby chickens come through quite frequently, more than i thought occurred. we'd bend the corners of the lids up and grab them out of the box and play with them. being a city slicker, i never had the opportunity to play them before. we've had doves come through, and lots of urns too! never saw a body, though that has happened once that i've heard of. bizzare.

To answer a couple of questions...

1) No, USPS is not unhappy with FedEx, in fact they couldn't be happier and keep asking us to take more and more mail, we're trying to accommodate. Their "on-time performance" and reliability have skyrocketed after dumping the old fractured and inefficient system. USPS had a big press conference in DC several months back touting how many millions they have saved streamlining the process and how much better their on-time has become. They just "plug-in" to the FedEx network and it gets there, on time, as advertized. This is a standard rumor from guys/companies who are p1ssed off about losing the mail. Don't believe it? Check w/USPS.

2) Yes, we have dedicated "mail" flights, have had for close to 3 years now, and lots of them. We fly standard FedEx freight at night, most of the day flights are USPS only. Flying seems to be about 50/50 day/night for the aircraft that carry mail.

Midnight Flyer said:
USPS contracted out to several supplimentals, mostly flying 727's.

FedEx did come in and take over the USPS flying, which screwed A LOT of pilots out of jobs. Rumor is that the USPS are not 100% satisfied with FedEx. And yes, it was a cushy job. You talk about on time performance. Everything ran like clockwork in that operation.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/035364/M/
Midnight, if you need a LOR to get on with a regional, just let me know...we'll make sure you don't ever have to be part of anything where the USPS is not 100% satisfied.

I remember seeing an entire box of credit card letters from Capital One fall off a belt loader going into a 757 headed for Hawaii, one box out of 9000lbs worth of US Mail.

All the purdy white letters absorbed all the nice blue juice on the ramp below :D :D :D

Wang Chung said:
You 727 guys had some serious card-games going on in the lounge.

Oh, yes we did. Spades was the game of choice. I suck at bidding, so I only joined in once....and got slaughtered.

Latest resources

Back