Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
I was under the assumption the the US postal service put its mail on FedEx planes and major carriers like american airlines (up until a few weeks ago), but my father is determined to convince me that they have their own fleet. do you guys know anything about this? i would think that it would be one heck of a cushy job -- flying for uncle sam, getting all those benefits after retirement, AND you are almost guaranteed to never run out of mail that needs to be flown elsewhere. help me out!!

USPS contracted out to several supplimentals, mostly flying 727's. A large percentage of it was Ryan and Express One, and they both painted our planes in the postal colors. I know there were some other supplimentals in there too, but can't quite remember. Most people who didn't know better thought USPS owned the planes and/or that they had their own cargo airline division, etc...but all they did was just contract it all out. Also, regular airlines also carried mail to a certain degree, however, priority mail was mostly Ryan and Express One. The "sort" was in Indianiaolopis (spelling?). FedEx did come in and take over the USPS flying, which screwed A LOT of pilots out of jobs. Rumor is that the USPS are not 100% satisfied with FedEx. And yes, it was a cushy job. You talk about on time performance. Everything ran like clockwork in that operation.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/035364/M/

Last edited:
VaB said:
Yeah, I've heard that one to. There so dissatisfied in fact, they keep giving us more mail to carry. LOL.

Where did ya hear that?
Oh I've been hearing people talk about that for the last several years or so. I can remember being maxed out some nights leaving Indy. I wonder how FedEx is able to carry all of their packages, in addition to the USPS stuff, and keep it all seperate and in order.

I'd love to be over at FedEx right now; they've got to be one of the most stable airlines (if that even exists), due to their own cargo in addition to the mail.

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
Is it possible that FedEx dedicates certain flights to carrying the mail? And none of their own cargo?

I would have no idea how they manage that. Its got to be a big task. But when it comes down to the captain making a decision to bump bump some cargo for whatever reason, what would get bumped? Fedex's own cargo, or throw off some mail. I can remember hearing about federal penalties for bumping mail. I've seen the "postal police" give the loaders and ramp workers a hard time just for letting packages touch the ground.

cforst513 said:
I was under the assumption the the US postal service put its mail on FedEx planes and major carriers like american airlines (up until a few weeks ago), but my father is determined to convince me that they have their own fleet. do you guys know anything about this? i would think that it would be one heck of a cushy job -- flying for uncle sam, getting all those benefits after retirement, AND you are almost guaranteed to never run out of mail that needs to be flown elsewhere. help me out!!
If you look up some pics of GYR on Airliners.net, you'll see some of the old postal 72s sitting around.

well, if they are fed up with FedEx (no pun intended), i bet there'd be a huge bidding war to get that contract. wonder if it would be more beneficial/cheaper to the USPS to bid out to lots of smaller companies versus putting all your eggs in one basket.

postal police? good lord, hope none of them were watching when i worked the post office docks this past x-mas. parcels would come in and they get thrown all over the place, clear across rooms, and sometimes really hard (if they were small and shaped like a football). talk about a mundane job. it's like moving a pile of dirt from point A to point B with a spoon. nothing changes, no surprises. at least the anthrax scare put a little life in the job!! it was and still is my motivation to stay in college!!

What aircraft will you be using, leardrivr? you have quite a laundry list in your profile. do your runs for the post office just take you from LAX to HON and back? or do you do multiple legs to multiple cities?

Latest resources

Back