• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Post Election "high"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fortunately, I have some more time before I have to get off the Embassy suites' computer at BTR.

The big problem with your idea is this --> division of the student body. Do you know what happens when someone doesn't conform to the majority in school? Their life becomes hell. You have to remember, we're talking about children. When someone is seen as "different", they are basically screwed. They will be teased, tormented, and even beat-up to no end. Is that what you want? Because that is EXACTLY what will happen.

I think that kind of behavior is part-and-parcel to being a student in almost any school. You're a "rah', a "jock", a "nerd", or what ever names kids are using these days to divide thenselves into smaller groups. This went on when there was prayer in school, and has continued without it. If, as you say, that is exactly what will happen, I don't think you'll find a lot of praying kids starting the fights. I'll bet you WILL finding them defending themselves, though.

Also -- you will not find one single fact to back up your statement that there was less violence in school before prayer was taken out. It just isn't true. If you think you have evidence, by all means post a link...

The only link that I have is the "link to my past". When I was in fourth grade, waaaaaaaay back in 1962, we had a few scuffles on the playground at my school. We had no guns in our school, no knifings (although many of us were scouts, and were allowed to carry our scout knives to school) or injurious attacks of any kind. Same goes for the high school in our district. We behaved well for a number of reasons, and none of them are politically correct. When mom said "wait till your father gets home" there was no CPS employee ready to lock him up for not "sparing the rod". Almost every kid attended one kind of church or another. During Chanukah, our two jewish students taught us all the "dradel song" and taught us how the game itself was played. Our moms were not encouraged by a national organization to put their family duties aside and "find themselves". So, while prayer wasn't the only difference, you will find that those who are people of prayer today often have great respect for the same values that kept us happy and safe in our schools "back then".

Unless you know more about turbo than I do (and I am familiar with him), I wouldn't put too much stock in your analysis. Of course, I am happy that you can express your position.

Mr. Irrelevant:

Perhaps I should establish a better idea of what I mean about Thomas. Unlike real affirmative action programs, where the government or private groups (such as rainbow/push) bring sanctions against corporations or organizations if a certain number of minority faces are not seen in key positions, the appointment of Thomas was completly voluntary, and without threat of official sanction. He may not have been the brightest star at his school, but I don't have direct knowlege of that. How did Sandra Day O'Connor do? Propably well, but was she the best? Did she move up through the law profession based solely on her abilities, or was there a component of gender preferences along the way? I confess, I don't know. That's the insidious part of preferences: if you benefit from them, a shadow hangs over your head, suggesting that it was a major factor in your hiring, admittance or promotion, rather than your abilities in the job, or the amount of preparation you have when applying for the job. I'll bet a lot of pilots look at crews at United that way, or they wouldn't have that nickname.

At any rate, Thomas was nominated becuase he was wanted in the position for more reasons than his race. Also it's more than likely that it was a benefit to all african americans that a conservative judge who isn't white be nominated to the court, showing all that not every black judge wants to align themselves with Jesse Jackson.

Now, suppose Clarence Thomas was a mediocre engineer who was hired by a large auto manufacturer. Then I'd say yes, affirmative action has probably played a part. That company has a lot to lose if they can't produce enough faces to satisfy tyhe law and the special interest groups.

Your argument on the qualifications of Helms and Thurmond to represent their respective states and our country could easily be applied to Ted Kennedy! I'm sure he has won elections by margins very similar to theirs if not greater.

I agree. The people of Massachusets have every right to return 'ol Ted to the senate. Has he had a liver transplant yet? :)

Hey, a good and mostly civil discussion, everyone. Well done.

Those of you who DO pray, say one for me as I dodge those storms going back into IAD, and for our President.

Last edited:
burping_boy said:

Bubba -- It's not worth my time to even read your reply, let alone respond to it. "Hi, I'm Bubba. I'm right, you're wrong, and if you don't believe what I believe you're going to hell!"

Pathetic. God, please save me from your followers!

Do you accept that there is a supreme being or not? It's that simple.
Either humanity was created by that supreme being, or it just appeared.
If you accept that the universe as we know it, just appeared, then you deny GOD.
I have studied the evidence of intelligent design, and conclude that the universe was created by an intelligent mind. Therefore, I accept that GOD exists. Therefore I choose to attempt to live in a way that honors that creator, and to follow his plan for my eternal salvation.

From your response, I can only assume that you choose to believe the opposite.

It will make you happy to learn that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is totally voluntary. GOD wishes that you will choose to follow him, but it's your choice.

As I said previously, If I'm wrong, I will have lived a decent life and treated my fellow humans with respect. If you are wrong, you'd better get your asbestos shorts.

bubba

God squad

Hovernut, Timebuilder, Turbo & Bubba, thank you for contending for the faith. It is very clear that the conflicts raging today are far deeper and more profound than mere geopolitical ones.

And to Dointime: if you want to sympathise with the enemy that's your right as an American (in defense of which I might add that many have died) but your comparison of Pearl Harbor to a not-so-preemptive attack on Iraq is intellectually vacant.

>>"You sould have a look, if only for the intellectual growth of having had the experience."<<

"Intellectual growth" by reading the bible? Now THERE'S an oxymoron.

>>"I just wanted to add that I have read the bible, which is precisely why I don't understand how anyone could believe what it says! What a terrible, horrific book. If you disregard the horrors and contradictions of the OT, then you are only fooling yourself."<<

Exactly, but disregarding or reinterpreting the parts that no longer make sense or are now obviously wrong in the light of science is the only way the bible "works". While there are some good lessons to be learned, much of it is a study in cruelty, and after all, the world is full of people who manage to lead honorable lives without ever reading, much less believing, the contents of this particular book.

>>"I prefer to live under the assumption that GOD lives and that I will one day answer for my actions. If I am wrong, I will have lead a decent life and treated my fellow humans as I want to be treated."<<

Gee, where to even start. I'm an atheist and I too feel that I live a decent life. I'm certainly respectful of others, I volunteer regularly to assist those in need, I care about and take responsibility for my actions, AND I'm willing to respect your rights to believe differently from me. So, I deserve to burn in hell because I don't agree with your mythology?

What about all the other religions of the world - after all the major religion in this country is NOT the dominant world religion. So, do all the followers of other religions deserve to burn in hell as well for their blasphemy? Or if majority rules will YOU burn in hell for getting it wrong? Oh wait, I'll bet your religion is the "right" one and everyone else's is wrong. I'll bet many/most of those religions are full of good people striving to live good lives who also think they're right. So again I ask, would your god condemn followers of other religions to hell? See any problem here?

>>"If GOD deny'ers are wrong, they better develop asbestos underwear." <<

In the words of George Carlin, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any group whose symbol is a man nailed onto some wood." Your god is omniscient and omnipotent and the best he can do is vengeance? Pretty sad.

And speaking of being omniscient and omnipotent, I'm pretty certain if you gave me such power and an infinite amount of time in which to work, I could come up with a much better result than the history of the world as we know it. And if you start on the "free will" bs, then I' must ask how you can possibly think you have "free will" when by definition your omniscient god already knows what you'll do? And since he's all knowing, that pretty much makes him responsible for the injustices that occur since he also has the power to prevent them.

So let's recap: If I'm god, I tell you you have freedom of choice which implies the outcome can't always be predicted, but as god I already know what you're REALLY going to do, so I know when you're going to do something society would consider bad and I could stop it and prevent someone else from perhaps being injured, but I don't, allowing that cruelty to occur, and then I also punish you for exercising "free will". Pretty lame for an all powerful being.

>>"as a Christian "practices freely" his belief, he is bound by God's word to share it with others."<<

And by god religious folk do "share" even if they have to beat you to death in the process. Let's see, some examples of "sharing": the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch hunts, shall I go on? All the result of people vested with the power of god to deliver us from the evils of those with an opposing point of view.

Bottom line, we'll never change each other's minds. All I ask for is respect that runs both ways.

Anyway, if there is a hell I'll at least have the pleasure of good music - all the great rock bands are bound to be there! You saints, on the other hand, will have harp music and maybe Creed! Hmmm, is it heaven if it feels like hell? :p

Last edited:
"The Bible, mankinds most verifiable ancient manuscript, "

Hoooooleeeeeee $H!T!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I won't touch that with a ten foot pole!

Timebuilder ... I have alot of respect for you, as well. Your posts have always been intelligent, considerate, and informative. It's all about exchanging viewpoints ... thanks for showing us that it doesn't have to be personal.

Turbo ... ya know I love ya! We just disagree on this one. :D

Hovernut ... you're welcome!

Happy Vets Day to all! I'm proud to have done my part.

Minh

Timebuilder,

Timebuilder said:
I think that kind of behavior is part-and-parcel to being a student in almost any school. You're a "rah', a "jock", a "nerd", or what ever names kids are using these days to divide thenselves into smaller groups. This went on when there was prayer in school, and has continued without it. If, as you say, that is exactly what will happen, I don't think you'll find a lot of praying kids starting the fights. I'll bet you WILL finding them defending themselves, though.

There are many things, as you say, that cause some kids to be "different" than others. Why add another one? You'd be surprised at just how many of the "praying kids" will indeed be the ones starting fights. You see, very few kids take their religion seriously enough to be as respectful towards others as you think they would be. The whole point is, like I said, why add another difference? There just isn't any point.

Again, if you really want your kids to pray in class, why don't you just send them to a religious school?

Timebuilder said:
The only link that I have is the "link to my past". When I was in fourth grade, waaaaaaaay back in 1962, we had a few scuffles on the playground at my school. We had no guns in our school, no knifings (although many of us were scouts, and were allowed to carry our scout knives to school) or injurious attacks of any kind. Same goes for the high school in our district. We behaved well for a number of reasons, and none of them are politically correct. When mom said "wait till your father gets home" there was no CPS employee ready to lock him up for not "sparing the rod". Almost every kid attended one kind of church or another. During Chanukah, our two jewish students taught us all the "dradel song" and taught us how the game itself was played. Our moms were not encouraged by a national organization to put their family duties aside and "find themselves". So, while prayer wasn't the only difference, you will find that those who are people of prayer today often have great respect for the same values that kept us happy and safe in our schools "back then".

I understand that you are relating to personal experience. But I experienced the same environment as you just described, and I went to high school in the 90s! School prayer was thrown out in the 60s, and there was PLENTY of documented teen violence in the oh-so-great 50s.

And yes, this violence included knives and guns.

So, as you see, all school prayer will do is create more distance between groups of students. Prayer does NOT equal peace. It brings peace to some, but creates chaos for others.

Timebuilder said:
Unless you know more about turbo than I do (and I am familiar with him), I wouldn't put too much stock in your analysis. Of course, I am happy that you can express your position.

You are free to make that decision. We'll just have to agree to disagree about Turbo.

Looking forward to your reply. Keep 'em coming! ;-)

cjh - You took the words right out of my mouth. Great reply to bubba! Sometimes I just can't lower myself to debate someone with his closed-mind and "I'm right, I'm right I'M RIGHT!!!" attitude.

You will believe in a supreme being and or force higher than nature too one day. You just don't have the experience yet. Just wait till your tossed out of a level five thunder head, upside down, inch or two of ice on the wings, holes melted in most controle surfaces. Somehow the wings are still attached and you make it to the airport safely. There is a god!!

In this carreer, it's not in your best interest to shun God. God creates the situations you end up in and God the one holding your hand through it all. Yes I know, he has a sick sense of humor.

You will believe in a supreme being and or force higher than nature too one day. You just don't have the experience yet. Just wait till your tossed out of a level five thunder head, upside down, inch or two of ice on the wings, holes melted in most controle surfaces. Somehow the wings are still attached and you make it to the airport safely. There is a god!!

In this carreer, it's not in your best interest to shun God. God creates the situations you end up in and God the one holding your hand through it all. Yes I know, he has a sick sense of humor.

Nope, sorry. This is the famous "There are no atheists in foxholes" mentality.

You must be a very paranoid individual.

cjh says:
Gee, where to even start. I'm an atheist and I too feel that I live a decent life. I'm certainly respectful of others, I volunteer regularly to assist those in need, I care about and take responsibility for my actions, AND I'm willing to respect your rights to believe differently from me. So, I deserve to burn in hell because I don't agree with your mythology?
Well said. Personally I learned not to be so abrupt about it, but I agree completely. I went to college out in West Texas where saying something like that could get a guy lynched. :D

From Twin Tails:
This begs the question of what happens to all the ones who don't make it back to the airport, but I guess we don't have to go there...

Twin Tails, I accept that you say this with good intentions and I appreciate it. But, growing up I had ample exposure to god and church and none of my life experience had caused me to change my mind yet...

The prayer in school part of the thread (mostly between burping boy and Timebuilder). I think if you take a step back you will see a distinction between a voluntary student prayer said (either outloud or silently) during free time (lunch or recess or between classes) and a teacher or administrator lead prayer as a part of the school day. The voluntary student prayer I have no problem with. In fact, if they solicit the participation of teachers that still would not bother me. However, as an organized, teacher or administrator lead, activity that is part of the school day - that clearly exceeds constitutional limitations IMHO.

Timebuilder, I wanted to bring something else back up that you had said earlier. From Timebuilder:
On God and government: suffice it to say that Jefferson's observation in a letter to some Baptists on the topic of "church and state" was not a part of any law, nor was it at any time a part of the constitution. There is NO constuitutionally mandated separtation of church and state. There IS a provision where the government may not institute an "official" religion. If you want more on this, we went several rounds on this one back when we heard about the ninth circuit court decision in reference to "one nation, under God". Somehow, and I'm not certain how this happened, this "establishment clause", as it is called, has been stretched so far as to take on the properties of Silly Putty.
You're right that the words "separation of church and state" never appear in the Constitution. For that matter, the words "freedom of expression" or "right to privacy" do not appear in the Constitution either. Yet, we would consider both of the later to be fundamental American freedoms (and I consider the former to be as well).

Ironically, when the Bill of Rights was first proposed it was resisted by some of the framers of the Constitution because they believed an enumeration of specific rights would later be construed as limiting (ie, future Americans might say that if it isn't on the list then we don't have the right).

So, the bottom line I guess is that I think you're wrong that the Constitution does not madate a separation of church and state for two reasons. 1) I think that's exactly what the combination of the Free Exercise and Establishment clauses means. 2) The Constitution doesn't have to say the exact words in order to have that meaning.

Back to modern politics, I will continue to vote Republican even though many in the party disagree with me on this particular issue.

Finally, I'd also like to say that I am impressed by the civility of everyone on the thread. This is a tough topic to address publicly but I think its a great thread.

Buping boy, Have you been in a foxhole?

Or, in a bad situation such as the one I described?

I doubt you have. It's quite simple, you're still just a boy. Very naive at that from what it sounds like.

I'm not talking about the fear that runs through your veins when you're student stalls your 152 while uncoordinated.

All the crazy and beautifull things in this world can't just be happenstace.

This argument is fruitless. We'll never agree on the same thing here. Not untill that day comes when our supreme and ultimate human skills that we all posess don't save us from the inevitable and God feels that maybe it's time for a harsh lesson. Then if you're right I'll tip my hat. If i'm right, I'll tip my hat and smile.

It's easy to believe in nothing except yourself, albiet very selfish, but easy. When's the last time the easy way out was the best way? Usually it isn't.

Latest resources

Back