Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible effect of Northwest bankrupty on Mesaba or Pinnacle??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aviatorman_1979 said:
What would the effects of a Northwest bankrupty have on either Mesaba or Pinnacle?

I would say zero effects for, at least, the pilots. Mesaba and Pinnacle pilots do not work for NWA. We work for the organization that our labor contract is with. My contract states that I receive X for doing my assigned duties with Mesaba, not NWA. If it is proven that I have been working for NWA all this time, someone owes me a lot of cash, vacation, and sick time accrual.:)

Now, IF the union wants to go and rewrite the contract......

Last edited:
BoilerUP said:
"Special Notice: This bid is for Delta EMB 170 service originating out of Detroit, MI for September 4, 2005 through approximately October 15, 2005. Only those Shuttle America pilots who will be qualified on the EMB 170 by September 1, 2005 will be eligible to bid these openings."

Delta, huh? Any idea where the flights will be to? Is this some new point-to-point flying, or are they going to the hubs in CVG or ATL?

I don't see there being too much of a change in how things are done if NWA files, primarily because NWA is still our majority stock holder. Since we are no longer "wholely owned" they won't have to force us into bankruptcy with them, and yet we're a great tool for the emergence of a stronger, profitable NWA. Just keep this in mind when you guys are considering a NWA bankruptcy, unlike other airlines to file (UA/US) NWA doesn't have expensive leases on old high operating cost airplanes. Chances are if it's a "classic airliner" NWA owns it out right. There isn't a whole lot of debt for NWA to shed in a Ch11.

Adam

The Detroit flying will be DTW to SLC, as per the agreement and schedule with Delta. Source: Shuttle Management.

arthompson said:
Just keep this in mind when you guys are considering a NWA bankruptcy, unlike other airlines to file (UA/US) NWA doesn't have expensive leases on old high operating cost airplanes. Chances are if it's a "classic airliner" NWA owns it out right. There isn't a whole lot of debt for NWA to shed in a Ch11.

I wouldn't be quite so sure of that. I have heard that NWA has utilized the equity gained in those aircraft as collateral to secure a sky high credit line. And the $2B in cash that they say they have on hand is mostly just a line of credit. Most of which is secured with those older "paid-off" airframes.

Wow! Lot's of airline pilots seem to know alot about airline business besides flying jets. I recall sitting next to two business men who convinced themselves that pilots must, they HAVE to, see the next city ahead in order to navigate.

Instead declaring what will happen to XJ and 9E, why not ask the Air Wisconsin and Indepedence Air pilots what happends to vendors when the primary declares....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Wow! Lot's of airline pilots seem to know alot about airline business besides flying jets. I recall sitting next to two business men who convinced themselves that pilots must, they HAVE to, see the next city ahead in order to navigate.

Instead declaring what will happen to XJ and 9E, why not ask the Air Wisconsin and Indepedence Air pilots what happends to vendors when the primary declares....
ACA and ASA could join together with Mesaba and Pinnacle, sell a few vowels and start their own national airline like SWA.

PCL_128 said:
Mesaba just got the next few CRJs by agreeing to fly them for a very slim profit margin, so I doubt their contract is in jeopardy either.

C'mon PCL_128. Do you really think a profit margin had ANYTHING to do with XJ getting CRJ's? The fact that you would even cite that as a reason is very troubling in my opinion of 9E pilots. Just where did you get this "very slim profit margin" idea from? Your CEO? A management issued memo? Your above quote reaks with management spewed propaganda. I know you're smarter than that. We here at XJ fully support your negotiations for your contract, but if you're going to believe crap like that, you're in for a ugly road ahead.

Mesaba received CRJ's because Pinnacle is in contract negotiations. Anyone who believes that you or us recieved any aircraft because of our...

1. Operational excellence
2. Contract compensation
3. Management cost controls
4. Airline efficiency

...needs to take a long hard look at the history of Big Brother and his two Red-Headed Step Children.

kmox29 said:
C'mon PCL_128. Do you really think a profit margin had ANYTHING to do with XJ getting CRJ's? The fact that you would even cite that as a reason is very troubling in my opinion of 9E pilots. Just where did you get this "very slim profit margin" idea from? Your CEO? A management issued memo? Your above quote reaks with management spewed propaganda. I know you're smarter than that. We here at XJ fully support your negotiations for your contract, but if you're going to believe crap like that, you're in for a ugly road ahead.

Mesaba received CRJ's because Pinnacle is in contract negotiations. Anyone who believes that you or us recieved any aircraft because of our...

1. Operational excellence
2. Contract compensation
3. Management cost controls
4. Airline efficiency

...needs to take a long hard look at the history of Big Brother and his two Red-Headed Step Children.

Of course I don't believe that you got CRJs because of your margins. Believe me, I understand red tail labor tactics enough to understand why you got CRJs. That's not the point of the post however. The point is that NWA would be hard pressed to find a cheaper source for their feed than 9E or XJ. NWA would have a very hard time convincing a BK judge to let them go to a more expensive RJ contractor just so they can expand the whipsaw. They will need to find someone that can provide RJ feed at a lower fee-for-departure than XJ or 9E. That is basically impossible. As I said, even Mesa has higher costs than Pinnacle.

As for my source for your profit margin, it comes from the Association. I doubt Wychor and the rest of your MEC are providing us with fake financial information.

SF340Guy said:
The Detroit flying will be DTW to SLC, as per the agreement and schedule with Delta. Source: Shuttle Management.

The weird thing is that I heard we're baseing 4 airplanes out of DTW. I would think we'll be going to SLC, CVG, and ATL.; maybe even MCO and LGA.

Latest resources

Back