Poor Kit Darby had to sell his girlfriends car -yea right

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
You guys completely miss the point. The point isn't to feel sorry for Kit-few would. The point he illustrates is what is going on in the industry. Those who point to his article and say "Poor Kit", sarcastically, almost with satisfaction are morons. We are ALL In this boat together. It is skippered by the corporate raiders who are passing the cost of doing business on to the WORKERS. Better think long and hard about who the idiots really are.

Oh, I all think we get the point about salary cuts/furloughs..most of us here in aviation have lived it if not now, then in the past. Everyone understands the article and the people in it, because if we don't (figuratively) know them, we've been or are them. There's no smug satisfaction here.

What myself and some others are doing, however, is running up the Bullsh1t flag on his car-thing statement. He could have talked about his huge paycut and left it at that (and like I said, bummer for him and anyone else on that account) But no, he chose to try and sound like a poor shmoe working his tail off to just buy groceries and finds that having a car just isn't possible. As big as his cuts were, that's an absurd impression to try and make.

Statements that even laymen recognize as absurd do nothing to further the cause of higher pay. By and large it's a pretty good article for those who might think airline personnel are making gobs of money and living a glamorous lifestyle....it sheds light on the truth instead. However, Kit's car statement sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the others, and certainly won't garner any sympathy. In fact, it reinforces the notion that airline pilots are overpaid bus drivers completely out of touch with the reality most other people live, and brings questions into their minds as to whether the statements by others in the article have any veracity.

Like it or not, the general public...who this article was written for... doesn't view airline pilots as "labor" working stiffs, union membership notwithstanding. To them, it's white collar work, and when one is complaining about "having to sell a car" yet makes 150K a year, you just lost the attention of your average Joe and Jane who now think he's no different than the corporate raiders you say have caused all these problems. They lump you together with them, and who can blame them? So yeah, we'll make fun of Kit for that tag-on embellishment to make his plight seem more "common", or something.

You know, it's kind of like when Clinton was asked if he had ever smoked pot. If he had answered with a simple "I tried it once, didn't like it." and left it at that....nobody would have remembered or cared shortly thereafter. But who will ever forget or not chuckle at the little "Didn't inhale" tag-on to the end of his answer? It was so lame it became famous. Now, Kit's will never be famous, but it's just as lame.

Last edited:
Well Capt Darby,

CRY ME A RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you live on $150,000 and your so-called girl friend makes $70,000 and your still crying because you don't make $230,000 anymore. Maybe you should take a good look at where the industry is and WAKE UP!!!!!:mad:

It is difficult for me to generate much sympathy for Kit Darby. I have known Darby for many years and have a very low regard for him because he profits by preying on the hopes and dreams of pilots and engenders unrealistic expectations within them. One thing for sure, if Darby is doing it, it is about and for Kit Darby - if anyone else benefits it is purely coincidental.

GV

Quit Bellyaching!

To all you "haters" out there, what are you whining about? It appears he hasn't put all his eggs in 1 basket. Unlike most of you who can only do 1 thing - the pilot thing. Since when is diversification is bad?

There, I've done it. I've lowered myself to your level. See what you made me do! People say, it is hard to distinguish between the fool and the one arguing with the fool.

"There are only 2 types of people in this world, those who put people into groups and those who don't"

There are only 2 types of people in this world, those who put people into groups and those who don't"

:D Like yer signature......

Aye, Kit himself.
Caught a jumpseat with hime some years back.
He was 737 capt for UA back then...Probably 777 these days.

Not sure wich car he had to sell, but I doubt it was the Yugo, probably the SL 600...:rolleyes:

GVFlyer said:
It is difficult for me to generate much sympathy for Kit Darby. I have known Darby for many years and have a very low regard for him because he profits by preying on the hopes and dreams of pilots and engenders unrealistic expectations within them. One thing for sure, if Darby is doing it, it is about and for Kit Darby - if anyone else benefits it is purely coincidental.

GV

"Profits by preying on the hopes and dreams of pilots..." I cant stop laughing!!!! You guys are full of sh1t... Question? So how many of you guys and gals out there has Kit forced into going to a Air Inc event so he could profit off your "hopes and dreams'... Still waiting on an answer.... tic toc tic toc.... Right... None... He provides a service, like it or not if you dont like the service he is providing, dont pay and dont go, if you do, pay your fee and shut the (if you see Kay) up!!!

So many people get joy out of picking on Kit. Ive met him a few times, comes off like an ass most the time, that being said, I still dont want him or anyone else to lose pay regardless of the circumstances. Hugh Jordan is right on the money, This is a statement about the industry, Kit is not looking for symapathy from us, I can promise you that. Lets start looking out for each other, and stop feeding the distruction of our collective voice. This bitter attitude and perspective on the issue is distructive in nature and only helps the people that seek to distroy our unity. Lets get our sh1t together...

BBDC8

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
"Profits by preying on the hopes and dreams of pilots..." I cant stop laughing!!!! You guys are full of sh1t... Question? So how many of you guys and gals out there has Kit forced into going to a Air Inc event so he could profit off your "hopes and dreams'... Still waiting on an answer.... tic toc tic toc.... Right... None... He provides a service, like it or not if you dont like the service he is providing, dont pay and dont go, if you do, pay your fee and shut the (if you see Kay) up!!!

So many people get joy out of picking on Kit. Ive met him a few times, comes off like an ass most the time, that being said, I still dont want him or anyone else to lose pay regardless of the circumstances. Hugh Jordan is right on the money, This is a statement about the industry, Kit is not looking for symapathy from us, I can promise you that. Lets start looking out for each other, and stop feeding the distruction of our collective voice. This bitter attitude and perspective on the issue is distructive in nature and only helps the people that seek to distroy our unity. Lets get our sh1t together...

BBDC8

I've never used FAPA or Air Inc nor would I (my transition from the military to civilian flying was pretty seamless as was that of most of my friends), but there are those that do and most of them are wasting scarce resources on a valueless service.

GV

~

BIGBROWNDC8 said:

BBDC8

Give me a break. This thread has nothing to do with "unity", "the industry", or some kind of psuedo-collectivist movement. This whole thread is about Kit and his supposedly car-less a$$.

If a 150K per year management guy at your (or any other) airline said the same thing Kit did about his car, you wouldn't be roasting him? Yeah right. If anyone said this other than a pilot, you'd be flaying them too. Being a pilot doesn't prevent you from saying something asinine, and pilots uttering asinine comments to the press don't automatically become the embodiment of a Great Cause just because they work for say..United.

So try to rally his defense using that whole Three Musketeers all-for-on-one-for-all routine if you will, but there's just no getting around the fact you can't polish up his verbal turd.

Latest resources

Back