Polarized lenses in sunglasses???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

horseface

We've probably all heard that flying in polarized lenses is a no-no.

I have heard reasons centered around the EFIS displays, distortion with heated windshields, etc.

Has anyone actually flown in polarized lenses? Problems? No problems?

I dont want to drop the cash on polarized if it's going to not work...

Thanks for the help.

I use a pair of Maui Jim - sometimes the windscreen will have a slight rainbow effect, but personally i think the polarization far outweights this downfall.

I have no problem in either of our hawker 800

Collins 85 and 86E - GNSXLS or Universals

Others may post otherwise, but thats my experience

Water has a VERY deep green look to it on the King Air 200 windshield. Lakes look like cesspools. And not just in NJ.

Our Argus 2000 moving map display in the Citation you cant see AT ALL with polarized glasses.

these are the only notable differences ive ever encountered.

I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that are polarized and the only problem I have is sometimes I cant see the FMS when I look down at it initially. Sometimes I have to move my head slightly to see it. No problems whatsoever looking out windscreen though. Have worn for a couple years and in my opinion very well worth it.

I wear prescription sunglasses and I made the mistake of having the polarization on my first pair of prescription sunglasses. I had to take them back and remade without the polarization.

I stopped flying with polarized glasses in the Citations. Hard to see the FMS and some of the displays (Proline 21). One of our jets has a Global FMS, and it is impossible to see with polarized glasses.

I've flown Garmin panels and G-1000 with polarized glasses in pistons with no problems.

I wear prescription sunglasses and I made the mistake of having the polarization on my first pair of prescription sunglasses. I had to take them back and remade without the polarization.

Thats what I have (RX sunglasses)--I however really have no problems

I've been using Serengettis for years now. Will not fly without them, or go anywhere else for that matter.

For a brief stint this summer, due to breaking my Serengettis and not having a close by replacement, I got a pair of polarized Maui Jims.

I felt like I was tripping on mushrooms, the windshield heat made so many rainbows I had to take them off when flying.

Eventually got back into a new pair of Serengetis a few months ago.

They are the "photocromatic" lens (amber). Be careful because some of their models do come in polarized versions.

Just freakin love this brand, can't say enough about them. It feels like it adds another 1/4 mile to my visibility on hazy or foggy days. I even wear 'em after the sun goes down when flying.

Same here, been using a pair of polarized Dragon sunglasses for a couple years now in Citations, primus/uns equipped, with no problems. Like said before, sometimes can't see the fms on the first glance, but the polarization definitely outweighs the really infrequent drawbacks. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if it bugs you, keep the receipt. Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back