• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polarized lenses in sunglasses???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Unless you fly alot of different A/C, buy one cheap pair of non polarized shades for the plane, and save the cool polarized ones for the car. My $10 CVS specials are two years old and going strong, expensive shades are about to fall apart after one year.

But if you buy a nice pair of glasses, and take care of them (key point), it's worth every penny. (i.e, dont sit on them, clean the lenses frequently, etc)

I have, out of curiosity, borrowed a crew members shades to give them a shot, and using a cheap store brand lense is almost too much for my pampered eye-balls to handle these days. Just terrible. It's like drinking box-of-wine after you have been sipping on something expensive for a while.

If I have my serengeti's taken away for whatever reason, I feel naked and halfway unsafe.

We've probably all heard that flying in polarized lenses is a no-no.

I have heard reasons centered around the EFIS displays, distortion with heated windshields, etc.

Has anyone actually flown in polarized lenses? Problems? No problems?

I dont want to drop the cash on polarized if it's going to not work...

Thanks for the help.

My polarized lenses work ok with the DA-50EX and 900B EFIS. They didn't work at all with the Epic Primus EFIS in the Sovereign, couldn't see anything on the EFIS yube. On all aircraft they are distorted by the heated wind screens. I wear RayBan glasses.

I think it might depend on the a/c you are flying. In the CRJ it wasn't a big deal. In the Falcon 50ex it is an acid trip with rainbow windows and blank FMS screens!

Trip safe-rum

Heh rumrnr78! I have a feeling the "acid trip" you refer to was our trip! Didnt like my Serengetis huh?

CRJCA

I bought a nice pair of Maui Jims polarized and wore them for about 2 weeks before I flew with them. Sitting in the 727 with the windshield heat on was akin to an acid trip. Bought a pair of Serengeti drivers and love em. They are much much lighter than the maui jims.

Ocean Waves

I wear a pair of Ocean Waves in a G200 with no problems. However, you should go get a pair of 14 dollar Foster Grants or a pair of Flying Fisherman glasses before you drop a buck seventy-five on a nice pair. I have a pair of non-polarized Ray Ban aviatiors for back-up.

Our airplanes are Honeywell, Colins, and Universal. I wear prescription polarized and have no problems with any of them.

Latest resources

Back