• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polarized lenses in sunglasses???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just got a pair of maui jims for x-mas and used them for the first time today in the citation with the Proline avionics. Looking straight on the PFD it is fine but if you move your head they go out. The glasses are great and I am glad I maid the change. I recommend if you get polarized glasses get Maui Jims they are worth the money!!!!!

I had a pair and got tired of the rainbows and not seeing the FMS very well. I have clips ons specially made now because it is hard to find them that are not polarized.

The complete screens blank out on Honeywell avionics with polarized lenses. Had to get rid of them.

I have a pair of ray ban polarized lenses and I'm flying a citation ultra. I haven't had that many problems with them Occasionally i will see a little rainbow effect on the windscreen, but nothing with the avionics.

cant see display well in the rockwell-collins jet i fly, but i work for garmin and can see all 400/500/G1000 stuff pretty well . .

In falcons it's like wearing the old IFR training hood. You cant not see much of anything with polarized shades.

I wear polarized glasses(electric) in the a GIVsp and all the windows, tubes and FMS's look fine. They make the trees look greener on approach, but the north atlantic still looks cold as hell.

In my experience... it depends on how the polarization in your glasses relates to the polarization of the display. So if you can't see the display, you probably need to rotate your head 90 degrees (put your ear on your shoulder), then your polarized glasses might work fine. I found it difficult to fly with my head in that position, so I scrapped the shades. ;-) . BTW, this is why the cabin windows in the King Air darken and lighten as you turn the inner window.

Unless you fly alot of different A/C, buy one cheap pair of non polarized shades for the plane, and save the cool polarized ones for the car. My $10 CVS specials are two years old and going strong, expensive shades are about to fall apart after one year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back