Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo, 30 days out from possible strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"You guys are not looking very labor friendly these days"

What a joke! Do you really think anyone at another airline with an once of common sense will look down upon us for flying Atlas planes full of Atlas cargo?

You guys couldn't do more to alienate Atlas crews if you tried. Now you've alienated a federal judge as well. Tomorrow could be a tough day for your boys in D.C. Here's something I know will help:

grov·el

1. To behave in a servile or demeaning manner; cringe.
2. To lie or creep in a prostrate position, as in subservience or humility.

Last edited:
I think I know who this guy -300 is, but until I am sure, I am going to refrain from posting it. Let’s just say this…he spends a lot of time in Purchase and MIA.

On another note... I have to agree with you guys. It is amazing how many pilots read these threads. I think the damage -300 is doing will hurt the Atlas pilots for a long time. I just had a friend of mine at AWA ask me if he should be denying Atlas guys the J/S because the are scabs. He said is has been reading these threads on flightinfo and can not believe the attitude of the Atlas guys. He was referring to the constant mentioning of sneaking around picket lines and how it seems like the Atlas guys can’t wait to Polar to go away, mostly because of some issue no one remembers years ago. I asked him to go back and re-read the posts and you will notice all the extremely rude, hostile, and scab like comments are coming from just one guy…. -300. It is pretty obvious who you are. This is a small industry, and this WILL come back to haunt you.

My buddy just gave me the atlas vars number.(800-253-5642) What the hell is going on over there. The MEC seems like he's begging guys not to cross picket lines. I think its just a minority out there that are saying to cross the lines but as a group you Atlas guys need to figure out how your gonna handle this. Good Luck.

Hey guys
-300's inflamatory rehtoric aside, I would honestly like to have some questions answered. If one of you guys would take the time to answer I would really appreciate it.

1) I think most respect any work group's right to determine their own destiny with regards to a CBA, but why does it seem that the Polar strike is targeted at Atlas Air Cargo Crew Members? I have heard all of the " Its your turn in a few months, this is what you can expect", but no one can truly say how nego will go at that time.

2) Who or what are you actually picketing?

3) I keep hearing people refered to as SCABs. This seems to be blatantly slander/libel. What exactly, in your opinion, does make an Atlas Air Crew member a SCAB? I really think this is a fair question since the "SCAB list" is basically nothing more than an Association sponsored Blacklist that requires nothing more than accusation to be placed on it.

4) The Atlas MEC has indicated (in summation)that a picket line is anywhere as few as one Polar or acting agent is located with a sign. And that said picket line is not to be crossed. He goes on further to state that if a picket line exsists in front of your hotel return to your room. In contrast he also states that as is required by the injucntion that we are to continue performing all company assigned duties. My queston is doesn't this seem as though the idea is to try and create a work stoppage at Atlas Air Cargo to impact AAWWH by essentially extorting Atlas Air Crew Members only with threat of blacklist? While I understand the ploy and could appreciate its effectiveness (in actual practice) it is not the kind of move that engenders happy relations between the two work groups. Furthermore it forces Atlas air crew members to decided between feeding their families and supporting a strike they did not vote on or authorize. The Atlas MEC seems to be little or no help in this matter.

4) What is it that the Polar pilot group is looking for? What is the endgame? I have heard what JC and crew have offered, but honestly don't know what Polar is asking for.

I think these are fair questions since no one who works here cannot not be involved in this.

Jeez where have you been bman???:smash:

Hey Whalerider,

I hope you guys comeback to work soon so we can get back to drinkin and talkin about something else.

I missed you too, peaches!!!

Last edited:
bman-

You are a great example of the vast majority of Atlas pilots. The questions you pose are excellent. I think it would be VERY difficult to be an Atlas guy right now, and I know it would seem the strike is directed at you.

I think the reason Polar is picketing the Atlas flights is clear. The injunction allows Atlas to fly all of Polar’s struck freight. If Atlas is allowed to fly the struck freight without consequence, the strike is futile and worthless. Strikes are designed to cause a financial burden towards a company in order to get them to return to good faith bargaining. A strike is a labor group’s last chance to demand a fair settlement, and without the threat of strike, labor would have no leverage even going into negotiations at any unionized company.

Anyway, getting back to your question. Since Atlas is allowed to fly Polar’s struck freight, the only way Polar can impact the company at this point is to disrupt the moving of this freight. At most companies that only operate 1 airline, when the planes are parked the freight stops moving. Unfortunately at Atlas, management has the option when one group (Polar) goes on strike to simply move all the freight to the other company (Atlas) thereby nullifying the strike effort.

The only way Polar’s strike can be effective is for Atlas pilots to exercise their right not to cross the Polar picket lines. I know I would not want to be in your shoes, it is a tough spot to be in. At least you have clear direction now from your MEC Chairman on what to do.

Obviously ALPA should have had all the details worked out BEFORE taking the Polar pilots on strike. It is really unfortunate that ALPA is so irresponsible to take a group of pilots on strike without addressing these issues beforehand. But, that is typical ALPA National. Not the smartest tools in the shed. Just plain old tools.

furloughfodder said:
Obviously ALPA should have had all the details worked out BEFORE taking the Polar pilots on strike. It is really unfortunate that ALPA is so irresponsible to take a group of pilots on strike without addressing these issues beforehand. But, that is typical ALPA National. Not the smartest tools in the shed. Just plain old tools.
I had composed a post of several paragraphs covering several points, but didn't get to post, as clicking the "Preview Post" button sent me to a "you ain't even signed in buddy" page.

:mad:

Lemme try again.

Speaking of dull tools, ALPA National does not take any group of pilots on strike. The only pilots that authorize the withdrawal of services at a carrier are the pilots of THAT carrier, through their MEC.

FF, AWA flies out of JFK. Are they honoring the Polar picket lines? Are they all to be considered scabs now too? Why not? Is it because they are flying AWA planes full of AWA pax and cargo? How is that different than Atlas guys flying Atlas planes full of Atlas cargo?

It looks like our MEC stuck their necks out again (probably in violation of the TRO) and they're going to save your strike.

bman said:
1) I think most respect any work group's right to determine their own destiny with regards to a CBA, but why does it seem that the Polar strike is targeted at Atlas Air Cargo Crew Members? I have heard all of the " Its your turn in a few months, this is what you can expect", but no one can truly say how nego will go at that time.
It only seems that way because Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings is targeting Atlas Air, Inc. as the carrier of choice to move struck work. If AAWH was using World to move the freight, Polar would be "targeting" World.

In the unique relationship that Atlas pilots and Polar pilots enjoy, the "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" mentality can work to your advantage when AAWH tragets Polar to move work struck by Atlas. Rather than suffer from whipsaw administered by AAWH, you can depend on each other to bolster both your positions.

Latest resources

Back