Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo, 30 days out from possible strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Off by a LONG SHOT!!

B747-300. You keep stating that Atlas aircraft are flying " FULL OF ATLAS CARGO" You Sir. are FOS!!! Atlas is a ACMI airline, and as such, does not generate IT'S OWN CARGO.......You fly OTHER PEOPLE'S CARGO!!!! INCLUDING POLARS!!

Don't be stupid! When one of your former customers approach airline "X" and want to move cargo, and airline "X" already has an ACMI contract with Atlas, then it isn't Polar cargo. So what we're really talking about is cargo that WOULD HAVE BEEN Polar cargo if your ill timed strike never took place.

Polar isn't selling lift anymore, so there is no more Polar cargo to fly. Your customers have hired new airlines.

It sounds like RATIONALIZATION to me........I can't wait to find out who you are.....

B747-300 said:
Don't be stupid! When one of your former customers approach airline "X" and want to move cargo, and airline "X" already has an ACMI contract with Atlas, then it isn't Polar cargo. So what we're really talking about is cargo that WOULD HAVE BEEN Polar cargo if your ill timed strike never took place.

Polar isn't selling lift anymore, so there is no more Polar cargo to fly. Your customers have hired new airlines.

Shaking head........That is a scab reply if I ever heard one.

It is like saying that while 300 is gone I am going to be shacking up with his Girlfriend/Wife and when he gets mad saying "Well if you had been here and not out working she WOULD have been your girl, But since you were not here she is mine."

Up until this statement I could see the Atlas pilots point on certian items I.E. flying the Atlas ACMI stuff shouldn't be messed with, but you are now flying Polar scheduled stuff with an Atlas flight number, and using Polar airplanes to do it. The fact that the company moved them to Atlas to break the strike does not change what you are doing.

Oh well, I guess the grudge between Atlas and Polar will continue, next year when they start moving airplane to Polar make sure you remember your statement......."It would have been Atlas freight if you had not been on strike"

"Oh well, I guess the grudge between Atlas and Polar will continue, next year when they start moving airplane to Polar"

Polar will be gone!

"I can't wait to find out who you are"

You guys already decided I'm Cato. Or management. Or some guy that spends time in MIA and Purchase.

No common sense. That is the reason your strike is failing and your own guys are expressing second thoughts.

I expect close to 100 Polar crewmembers are now permanently unemployed as of today. Maybe the NMB can talk some sense into your MEC, but I doubt it.

I just read this on another forum:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"Very heated rhetoric. I shall try to stick to the facts and would like some sensible replies and comments.

Atlas Airplane

Giant Callsign

JFK-DOV

Customer AMC

Atlas operations tell (The Crew) to go to Building 21 in the HOTEL VAN in which there are also 3 Kallitta guys.

Videod leaving hotel.

Followed to Bldg 21 by car, being videod.

500 yards from building 21, on an approach road, 3 picketting Polar guys approach the side of the road as the hotel van passes by.

Hotel van stops outside of Bldg 21 and Kallitta crew de-bus.

(The Crew) stay on van and refuse to enter Buliding 21 as
(The Crew) consider it picketted.

(The Crew) call operations to inform them that they are not entering Bldg 21 as they consider it picketted even though the picketters are not even in sight, only the video car.

Mike Bryant (CP) tells (The Crew) to go in and go to work.

(The Crew) refuse.

Port Authority Police arrive and tell picketters and video car to leave as they have no permit to picket in this area.

(The Crew) still refuse to go in.

Half an hour later (The Crew) are taken by Atlas van to the other side of the airport, through an access gate where there are no pickets.

Flight departs late.

Have (The Crew) followed MEC/ALPA guidance?
Have (The Crew) behaved honorably?
Should (The Crew) have done something else?
Is it a legal picket?
What exactly is being picketted?"
[/FONT]

I guess you guys have resorted to chasing after Atlas crews with a video camera. That's the true definition of desperation!

Get A Life

This thread is Fu**ing ridiculous, it's getting boring reading the constant jabs at each work group. This thread is being kept alive by just a couple of people, who have nothing better to do, than to alienate all the other pilots form other air carriers, form us at Atlas and Polar.

Guys get a life:frown:

Taken from PPRUNE

This was posted by a former Polaroid:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Just some old timer perspective.

I worked for Polar. Now I don't.

The first few years, Polar made some money. Now they don't.

When the last Polar contact was negotiated, GE was the owner. Now they're not.

I've walked picket lines since the Continental strike in '83. CAL, EAL, UAL, been there. Put my signature on a contract in 1985. And paid dues since 1983.

Now, let me say, in all the strikes I've ever been a part of, the Polar strike is the most unorganized bunch of junk I've ever seen. At the CAL strike, they still let the commuters bring in and take out passengers, even though they were ALPA folks (Royale) Yea, some radical folks at CAL asked Royale to do some nasty stuff like getting into CAL planes and trashing manuals and equipment, which never happened.

One thing that never happened then, even though Frank Lorenzo was involved, CAL never ever sought out to destroy EAL. Yea, they bitched a bunch, but never targeted the EAL guys as taking away CAL work.

Now, we've got the Polar guys going directly after their brothers at Atlas, a sister company. How bizzarre, what's the goal of the PAC MEC, to realize their stated goal of shutting down AAWH altogether, and kill 900 jobs instead of their own 300 or so?

The PAC MEC has operated in the spirit of Bob Fell, mean and short sighted. While double B Bobb has said the correct words in the lead up to the current strike, the actions of his troops have belied him.

You guys at Polar are in the midst of the 30th of September, Ultimatum day as I understand the literature. If you guys want any piece of the Boeing contract, the Qatar contract, best tell Bobb to turn belly up.

900 of us can get them, 300 are a sneeze.
[/FONT]

B747-300 said:
"Oh well, I guess the grudge between Atlas and Polar will continue, next year when they start moving airplane to Polar"

Polar will be gone!

The thing is, it will not effect me at all. You see I fly for Atlas! The only bad thing about all this is I will have to fly with tools like yourself. That and I have friends at Polar that were hired with me and we spent lots of time drinking frosty beverages together. Even have a couple of buddies from old airlines over there.

Being associated with folks such as 300 is not one of my proudest moments to be sure. My stance on all this does not come from the fact that I fly for Polar, it comes from the fact that I do not feel right or good in anyway about how this is turning out for the Polar guys. Couple that with the fact that Atlas has to go through this very same thing next year and I have already begun my job hunt for the inevitable firing and or furlough that I will surly see at the hands of this mgmt. next year.

You see 300, the bottom 300 to 400 pilots do not see themselves at Atlas or Polar, we were hired together, trained together, took checkrides at the same time etc. Up until this fiasco, we were one pilot group as far as the newbies were concerened. Too bad mgmt. chose to tear it apart rather than try to foster that feeling. I do not blame Polar pilots, after all if Atlas were the first to come up to this situation the exact same result would have occured, just the names on the picket signs would have changed.

Sad, I was hoping that this would be the last career change I had to endure, I doubt that is the case.

"The PAC MEC has operated in the spirit of Bob Fell, mean and short sighted."

That about sums it up in one short sentence!

Latest resources

Back