Please provide advice to father...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FCO

My son's goal is to be a pilot -- ideally, regional and eventually with a larger commercial airline. I am a college professor and welcome his desire to pursue his dreams. That said, I don't know much about that career path since I took the traditional academic route and I do not have the funds for him to earn his licenses from while in high school. Much of this seems like piece meal where one earns licenses at one place and a degree (if wanted/needed) from another place... and then still the student comes up short with necessary hours and needs flight time for even a starter position that requires a minimum of 500 flying hours. He's a very good kid with a B+ average and a good head on his shoulders. Aviation is the passion that never went away... he dreams this stuff. What path/program do you suggest when he graduates from high school?

Thanks,

TJ

Have him attain a college degree in something other than aviation. An aviation degree does not really matter in terms of getting hired. A college degree does. It adds one more check to the application. The reason for a degree outside of aviation is that the industry is highly cyclical and most career pilots are out of work several times during their career. A degree in something which would provide more resilient income is essential if he plans to ride out the waves throughout his flying career.

Outside of a university or the military, he can attend either a part 141 or part 61 flight school. The part 141 program is theoretically more structured (this can vary from pilot mill to pilot mill), but lacks in many other aspects. Part 141 training requires less overall training time compared to what is required of a part 61 program. They also tend to be "all-inclusive" deals, where they take you from student to multiengine commerical pilot flight instructor. The differences are minimal. From what I recall, a private pilot certificate requires 40 hrs part 61 and 35 for part 141. Most pilots need much more than these minimums to successfully pass a checkride. The minimums are set forth by the FAA. Depending on where you fly will have a great impact on how expensive things can get. Most 141 programs have flat rate pricing, but many times students who are barely capable or prepared are sent on "canned" checkrides with their own in-house examiner who passes them.

Part 61 can involve what might be called an FBO operator which provides flight instruction. You'll find many small flight schools or "mom and pop" type operations at your local field, althoguh they are disappearing fast due to the dire state of the industry. Another benefit to go part 61 is that you're exposed to a broader training landscape. Typical pat 61 training will involve having to fly with different instructors for each rating. this has the advantage of learning different techniques from differnt pilots of varying experience. You'll also fly many different types of planes as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that in order to get hired at an entry level job requires a minimum amount of multiengine time. In general, most pilots (regardless of training route) end up with their CFI, CFII and MEI without much multiengine time. ALLATPS is a 141 program where the students fly the majority of the program in multiengine airplanes which is their biggest selling point.

Anyway, there's so much to cover in terms of the how and what. Hopefully others will chime in and fill in any gaps I've missed, which is plenty. Ask some follow up questions, if you will, and you'll get more targeted answers.

Best.

Flight schools do not offer financial aid or low interest loans, which is why I felt a college or university would be best. Another thought: get the licenses and hours and work for a regional first... then earn a BS/BS to apply for the larger airlines. I wonder if an Embry-Riddle or Delta Academy might be a good idea.

TJ

Flight schools do not offer financial aid or low interest loans, which is why I felt a college or university would be best. Another thought: get the licenses and hours and work for a regional first... then earn a BS/BS to apply for the larger airlines. I wonder if an Embry-Riddle or Delta Academy might be a good idea.

TJ

Beware the university route for flight training. It takes a lot longer to acquire the individual ratings and will cost you more in the end. ERU is overrated and Delta Academy is not a university. They are just like ALLATPS and other pilot mills. Aviation is full of glossy feel-good ads with "guranteed" FO jobs. Don't fall for the hype.

Trying to get a degree while line flying can be tough. He's better off going to school concurrently with flight training on the side.

One more thing, he should purchase one of the flight simulator programs like MSFS, along with a yoke. Being able to practice at home on a PC will cut his flight training bill in half, especially when it comes to earning the instrument rating. PC sims work best when used for learning the various instrument procedures.

BTW, in terms of funding, Sallie Mae which was a highly visable and big player in the loan market for pilots is shoring up their funding for flight training. I belive they will continue to accept applications for loans up until May 8th.

http://www.aopa.org/training/articles/2009/090331sallie.html

Sallie Mae slashes flight training loan business

By Ian J. Twombly

Responding to what it calls “difficult market conditions,” Sallie Mae announced via letter to select flight schools recently that it is significantly reducing the amount of flight training loans it generates.

Although the reduction is thought to be significant and widespread, the company wouldn’t comment on how many schools will be cut from the loan program.

“Due to difficult market conditions, we have found it necessary to focus our resources only on those schools that generate sufficient volume of approved loans to justify the expense of maintaining this manually intensive program,” said a spokeswoman.

The effective date of the termination is May 8. Applications submitted up to that point are being processed, according to the letter. Students are encouraged to speak with their flight school manager for additional details on whether or not financing will be available through Sallie Mae.

AOPA reminds members that if offers an alternative financing route through its Flight Training Funds Program.

The Program doesn’t require students to use a particular school; even private instructors are eligible.
March 31, 2009

TJ

Annual tuition including room and board:

Embry-Riddle Total, flight students $48,693

Harvard, Total $49,361

http://www.erau.edu/admissions/estimated-costs.html

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=1251&profileId=2

There are multiple factors that come into play when determining how to get to point B from point A, in an aviation career (market timing is everything and is uncontrollable, just be ready).
I strongly recommend going to college while attaining primary flight instruction and flight instructing after primary complete and still in college. It's not easy but he will learn that sacrifices must be made to be successful in aviation, lots of them. It's not the route I chose but everyone I know who did it that way seem to learn the industry before diving in head first.
The best advice is, just take it one step at a time. Primary, PIC flight time, Multi PIC, stuff on your resume to side you apart from the rest.
Sometimes your ahead of your pilot buddies, sometimes your behind, the race is long and in the end, it was only with yourself

Praise the Lord! For all the times I have scorned my son for "playing" on that computer, maybe there is some good to it all. He IS the master of MSFS with a yoke. Thank you, once again!

Praise the Lord! For all the times I have scorned my son for "playing" on that computer, maybe there is some good to it all. He IS the master of MSFS with a yoke. Thank you, once again!

While he waits on the sidelines, have him pick up a copy of the FAA Private Pilot PTS to use on his PC. The Practical Test Standards (PTS) booklet is issued by the FAA for each certificate and rating that which requires a checkride. He should begin to go through the Private PTS and learn what manuevers are required and the tolerances needed. For example, he should be able to hold heading within +/- 10 degrees, altitude +/-100' and airspeed within +/- 10 knots.

If you go to www.faa.gov you'll find the PDF versions of all the FAA handbooks from private pilot on up as well as copies of the various PTS guides.

Here's a link to the various Aviation handbooks:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/

Here's the link to the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/

Check your PM. Rakefight is right, pick up the beginning of your sons aviation library with a Private PTS

My hat is off to you for caring enough about your son to inquire here. You will get excellent advice here and one thing is for sure, there isn't a bunch of better people in my opinion than pilots. You must be a great Dad.

Latest resources

Back