Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"He who hath a trade or a profession, hath an estate."

Should to it your way

How about getting an education for the sake of learning more about your world beyond the fundamentals found in a H.S. graduate.

College isn't always about getting a job in aviation or some other particular field. One should learn about things that don't necessarily have a direct connection to ones vocation. College will help broaden and expand your knowledge and introduce you to cultures and subjects you might not learn elsewhere. It can be the starting point for many great things besides a degree in a chosen field.
If thatis the way you feel then you should encourage everyone to follow your advice, the same as I have done.

Amish,

I see your point. But I have learned way more about the world traveling around as a pilot than I could ever possibly learn in the classroom.

Not completely disagreeing with you, but I find that traveling around the world as a pilot adds a different dimension to anything I could learn in a classroom. That said, without some background to draw from (and I am admittedly weak on history and cultural geography), I don't get as much out of being there as I otherwise could. All to often I go somewhere, then learn more about it after I've been there - it would have been nice to have had a greater appreciation and understanding BEFORE I spent a week there!

That said, that's really icing on the cake. The meat of it still is giving yourself a solid foundation on which to build the rest of your life and giving yourself options - isn't that one of the basic concepts we try to teach students? Would you encourage a student to take off with 30 minutes of fuel reserve on a cross-country in conditions conducive to TRW's with a planned arrival time at dusk and no knowledge of diversionary airports along the way? I would certainly hope not, yet in out obsession with getting hours, turbine time, and a seniority number (not that any of those are unimportant) many pilots are essentially doing the same thing to themselves. I have several friends who stopped a few classes short of a degree and are now stuck (both in aviation, and in their current positions in aviation) where they are because they
don't have a four year degree.

You can argue whether or not it really makes a better pilot or not, but empirical evidence is clear - a four year degree (preferably from a "name brand" school) is a basic entry requirement for most aviation jobs anymore, and it certainly provides a lot of other options if aviation doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Amish,

I see your point. But I have learned way more about the world traveling around as a pilot than I could ever possibly learn in the classroom.

Hey W2B, my post wasn't negatively directed towards you. Just followed in sequence as I was addressing the thread.

It's certainly true one gains some life experience traveling as a pilot. My point was that there is more than the bulls-eye for a job when it comes to attending college. That's what trade schools are for. College exposes you to concepts within the social sciences which leads towards an education devoid of ignorance about how our world works. Some people are blessed with a thicket of education, yet lack real-world experience which is certainly a disadvantage. While real world knowledge is highly prized, its important to have a solid foundation from which to expand on. One cannot break the rules truly, until one has followed them excruciatingly. One needs their head below water in order to understand and relish having it above.

At any rate, education is a primer to embracing lifes experiences. It provides a neutral reference point, the framework, if you will, for the acquisition of further knowlege that which is built on the educational primer.

Basically, one should seek a college education not necessarily for the sole purpose of procuring stable employment, but to broaden ones understanding of the world around us. Taking classes in a variety of subjects is very good for the mind and soul. We should all be introduced to the wonders of this world, even if only a glimmer. Knowing about unrelated subjects and domains makes one a more complete person and actually enhances ANY occupation to an extent.

I'm going to go along with the thread drift: what do you guys think of online college?

I'm going to go along with the thread drift: what do you guys think of online college?

Is it acreddited and does it check the box?

Or what is the difference between what a traditional college degree gets a student.

Universities don't do what they should, which is expand ones understanding of the world. Rather college simply gives a person advance training. Consider a BA/BS an advanced vocational training....

So does it matter if it is online or on campus?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back