• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane crashes into NYC building!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All VFR "fixed wing" only now have to be under ATC control, not helos though. We dont want to interupt the really rich people from flying roof top to roof top.

Next time you weekenders with no experience go flying your fast machines, do us a favor and stay in the pattern, or better yet, trade down to a Cub or 172.

With all the media attention GA has been getting since 911, we dont need wannabes with deep pockets giving GA more black eyes.

Totally false. I heard and saw Mayor Bloomberg say just the opposite.

He's a pilot also.

Just like the Jerk who ripped up Meigs field in Chicago, the mayor of NYC wants to ban GA over Manhattan because we're so worried about what a small plane flying VFR can do to a skyscraper. This is nuts.

Surface winds at LGA 100 at 13 knots at the time of the accident...

I used to instruct in that area and routinely took students on hudson river tours.

The east river I did ONCE and never again. It is like flying up a box canyon. The corridor dead ends so you have to turn around and it is tight... bridges and buildings everywhere.

Unfortunately I can easily see how this could happen if the conditions were marginal... and the flight instructor was from California with 900 hours, probably not real familiar. Sad.

Actually it is over 1900 feet wide.

At the point where they were presumably trying to turn around the river is only 825 feet wide! If you are doing 120 knots in a Cirrus good luck!

I don't remember the SR20 being approved for aerobatic flight. I know that the SR22 isn't and that they are both not approved for intentional spins.

Thanks to the witnesses we can call off the NTSB, we already know the reason of the crash.

...cause you know that everyone follows all the limitations in an aircraft...right...ever taken off over gross weight???

All VFR "fixed wing" only now have to be under ATC control, not helos though. We dont want to interupt the really rich people from flying roof top to roof top.

Next time you weekenders with no experience go flying your fast machines, do us a favor and stay in the pattern, or better yet, trade down to a Cub or 172.

With all the media attention GA has been getting since 911, we dont need wannabes with deep pockets giving GA more black eyes.

well said...

How do you know that person wasn't an expert witness in the aural interpretation of truck downshifting/engine braking?

Because there's only one expert on Aural Interpretation of Truck Downshifting and Engine Braking ... me. And I wasn't called. :(

Actually it is over 1900 feet wide.

At the point where they were presumably trying to turn around the river is only 825 feet wide! If you are doing 120 knots in a Cirrus good luck!

Look again. It depends upon whether you count Roosevelt Island, which does have some tall buildings on it. From the TAC it is difficult for me to tell whether the exclusion is supposed to include Roosevelt Island or not. You're getting into questions like how wide is the blue line on the chart.

I'm looking at my "VFR Terminal Area Chart: New York". The East River area is QUITE Distintive with the heavy blue lines deliniating the "BOX CANYON" for the East River approaching from the south. Only One way in and One way out. You NEED the chart to see it though. NO Chart... NO SEE.

My guess is they knew the stakes.. because they DID try the turn.

Latest resources

Back