• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane crashes into NYC building!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to instruct in that area and routinely took students on hudson river tours.

The east river I did ONCE and never again. It is like flying up a box canyon. The corridor dead ends so you have to turn around and it is tight... bridges and buildings everywhere.

Unfortunately I can easily see how this could happen if the conditions were marginal... and the flight instructor was from California with 900 hours, probably not real familiar. Sad.

The instructor was a guy and his name has been released.
Also I think we can kiss the Hudson River VFR corridor goodbye based on the ****storm the media has brought upon it. But if it is unsafe like ack says above maybe its for the best.

The instructor was a guy and his name has been released.
Also I think we can kiss the Hudson River VFR corridor goodbye based on the ****storm the media has brought upon it. But if it is unsafe like ack says above maybe its for the best.

These guys were not in the Hudson River corridor... they were in the East River corridor. I don't think it's unsafe necessarily just tricky and not for fast planes, better for helicopters. The Hudson River Corridor is great. The East River corridor gets real narrow real fast. Pull up Google Earth and take a look at where 72nd street is. It's directly across from Roosevelt Island. Now pull up a terminal area chart for NY (you can get one online at:
http://maps.myairplane.com/default.asp)

At the point where they were presumably trying to turn around the river is only 825 feet wide! If you are doing 120 knots in a Cirrus good luck!

edit: PS guys in the know would get a helicopter chart, which has named routes crisscrossing all over and get a clearance from the East River to cross over central park instead of trying to turn around.

Last edited:
Just like the Jerk who ripped up Meigs field in Chicago, the mayor of NYC wants to ban GA over Manhattan because we're so worried about what a small plane flying VFR can do to a skyscraper. This is nuts.

Gotta disagree here. Go to the MSNBC story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15239970/ and look at the video link of the Coast Guard footage of the crash. After the CG video, there are comments from Mayor Bloomberg that are really pretty reasonable IMHO. The other pols may be off base, though.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree here. Go to the MSNBC story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15239970/ and look at the video link of the Coast Guard footage of the crash. After the CG video, there are comments from Mayor Bloomberg that are really pretty reasonable IMHO. The other pols may be off base, though.

Yep, I thought Bloomberg's comments have been entirely reasonable. If I'm not mistaken he is a private pilot. But he will be fighting an uphill battle to protect the VFR corridor.

I have flown the Hudson twice going from Fl to MA however I did not see a problem. I did sorta see a problem with the east river, I did'nt even think it was open to fixed aircraft. I thought it was just for helicopters, guess I was wrong.

The altitude and space available (particularly the 'boxed canyon' design of it as ackattacker mentioned) in the East River corridor would imply that it is intended for helos, but as far as I know there is nothing written that prevents a fixed wing from flying there.....I would imagine that is going to change.

Just like the Jerk who ripped up Meigs field in Chicago, the mayor of NYC wants to ban GA over Manhattan because we're so worried about what a small plane flying VFR can do to a skyscraper. This is nuts.

Latest ariticle on CNN:

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a recreational pilot with decades of experience, said he believes the skies are safe under the current rules.
"We have very few accidents for an awful lot of traffic," he said. "Every time you have an automobile accident, you're not going to go and close the streets or prohibit people from driving."

I don't see how you could possibly compare Mayor Bloomberg with that turd from Chicago.

Latest resources

Back