• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane crashes into NYC building!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because there's only one expert on Aural Interpretation of Truck Downshifting and Engine Braking ... me. And I wasn't called. :(

Yes, but I don't think they were limiting their pool of experts to the Peoples Republic of Venezuela, so there was at least 1 or 4 more to choose from.

Yes and it still hurts.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JN,

Over the years, it never gets any easier when this happens. I've had to start using my 2nd hand to count the friends and aquaintences that this business has taken, and it really stinks.

Nu

I don't know how long this will work, but you can see the radar track of the accident airplane here:

http://www4.passur.com/lga.html

Set the date and time to 10/11/2006 at 14:30. At about 14:31 N292CD, the accident aircraft appears just east of Teterboro. It enters the Hudson river corridor heading south. The track drops at 14:33, probably when 292CD switched to 1200.

At 14:37 a 'general aviation' target overflies the Statue of Liberty. That's probably 292CD. This target enters the east river heading north at 14:38. It's overflies what I think is the Queensborogh Bridge at 14:41. Switch to five mile view here.

At 14:42 it performs a hard left turn, I think he's just at the end of the VFR corridor. The track disappears over the shoreline.

That is a good point. Most of my experience in that area is flying up and down the Hudson river. The east side of the Hudson has that same blue line out over the river, while much of the traffic below me (I'm almost always in the Bravo) are hugging the coast of Manhattan, well into the blue line....

Splitting hairs, yes. But in this case it could have made a big difference. I guess that one of the things that we can learn from this is to not be afraid to step on the blue line when in the interest of safety.

As an aside, seems like the tallest structure east of their position would be a 415' building in Queens.

Look again. It depends upon whether you count Roosevelt Island, which does have some tall buildings on it. From the TAC it is difficult for me to tell whether the exclusion is supposed to include Roosevelt Island or not. You're getting into questions like how wide is the blue line on the chart.

Anyone know how much time Tyler Stang had in the Cirrus?
How many hours did the Yankee ball player have giving his instructor a ridge hand across the esophagus and flying into buildings? Maybe that .1? Who knows?

Ahh... so much better.
Must be a Yankee's fan.

There's no proof that the Yankee ball player didn't disable his CFI in order to commit suicide. The cops certainly aren't going to let that theory NOT exist in their list of things to investigate.

Here's something else to consider, while the ackataker put me on his "ignore" list, a suicide by the Yankee ball player takes ultimate responsibility out of the CFI's hands. All other answers put the CFI in responsibility for the crash. After all, how could a plane with a CFI on board simply run into a building? Not on my watch...and I'm a CFI.

There's no way a CFI that was familiar with the local area "just" watched a student impale them into the side of that building.

So ignore list me all you want, ostrich.

Must be a Yankee's fan.

After all, how could a plane with a CFI on board simply run into a building? Not on my watch...and I'm a CFI.

So ignore list me all you want, ostrich.

Ah, stall-spin-cfi take controls to recover-impacts building trying to recover.

Latest resources

Back