• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane crash in Kentucky???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to the most latest reports, it was the wrong runway in pre-dawn darkness.

If this, IS the case, then it's time for the charts first, and GPS second crowd to get off their butts, and realize that a moving map GPS showing the aircrafts actual position relative to taxiways and runways can be very beneficial, and life saving!

All of this technology is available now for panel mount and handhelds. The airport diagram can even automatically load on the MFD during taxi operations on arrival or before departure.

When it's in front of your face, with actual position; something that a paper chart won't do, then it's easy to see where technology counts!

Yes, I'm quite pissed at everyone who believes that GPS techology should come in second place to old school. I see it all the time here.

I was in LEX on Monday and there were quite a few NOTAMS about runway lighting and markers INOP due to construction although most of the construction looked like it was related to rwy 4 when I was landing. Feels kinda wierd knowing that I was just there the other day. Condolences to the families of the PAX and Crew.

RIP.... However, I think the newest news confirmed the wrong RNWY t/o by indicating that there are score marks in the grass at the end of RNWY 8/26. Which would indicate that the crew departed from that RNWY. Maybe they rushed, maybe nobody ever questioned why the heading was off... we will probably never no. Be careful out there.

Fly safe. Condolences go out to the families of the PAX and crew.

Sure was. In another (now locked) thread you can see the marks. Go to: http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/featuredgalleries/featuredgalleriesindex.html

I think it's the top gallery, and it's now the sixth picture in the series. You can see dual bogey main marks at the end of a small berm at the end of runway 26, the perimeter fence has been taken out and treetops are gone. Looks like they went off the end of the runway on or within a foot or two of the ground, hit the berm and got pushed up about 20 feet, through the treetops and came back down a few thousand feet later.

mtrv said:
According to the most latest reports, it was the wrong runway in pre-dawn darkness.

If this, IS the case, then it's time for the charts first, and GPS second crowd to get off their butts, and realize that a moving map GPS showing the aircrafts actual position relative to taxiways and runways can be very beneficial, and life saving!

All of this technology is available now for panel mount and handhelds. The airport diagram can even automatically load on the MFD during taxi operations on arrival or before departure.

When it's in front of your face, with actual position; something that a paper chart won't do, then it's easy to see where technology counts!

Yes, I'm quite pissed at everyone who believes that GPS techology should come in second place to old school. I see it all the time here.

Sigh.... You really just don't get it do you? Nobody says that GPS should be discarded as it does not offer any benefits. Obviously, it is a very powerful tool. What people are saying, is that it may not be the smartest thing to train students from the beginning on glass, using all the latest nav technology. The reason being is that if you do, they may not develop fundamental skills which are basic to *all* aviation, skills that they may need in an emergency, or more likely, will probably need at thier first jobs, because thier first jobs likely will not be in glass cockpits.

It's like autopilots. Autopilots are a great invention. Nobody says that Autopilots should be discarded. However, you'd have to be stupid in the extreme to believe that primary iunstruction should be done exclusively with autopilots. The reason being that someone who has relied on an autopilot for everything except takeoff and landing since thier first flight will not have the skills to fly an airplane by heand in VFR conditions, let alone on instruments.

Someone who had learned to fly under all conditions by hand, can learn to use an autopilot very easily, whereas someone who has depended on an autopilot since thier first flight will not be able to fly by hand.

Likewise, someone who had learned to basic navigation will be able to adapt to more advanced nav systems quite easily, whereas someone who has depended on a GPS moving map display from the very begining will never develop the necessary skills to navigate without.

This seems such a simple and obvious concept, why do you find it so elusive?

To bring things back to the topic at hand. Yeah, sure if they'd had some spiffy airport diagram pulled up on thier tv screen, and they had cross checked it as they lined up, they could have noticed thier mistake before it was too late.

By the same token, if they had checked thier compass against the runway heading, they also would have prevented this accident. Now, I'm not placing blame, or speculating on causes, but apparently they did not do this. A compass/heading indicator check against runway heading is one of those basic, day one things you learn, and it appears, from what we know at this point, it would have prevented this accident. Again, I want to emphasize I'm not criticizing or assigning blame, I'm just making the point that yeah, gee-whiz technology could prevent this if you use it but so too could almost century old technolgy and procedures prevent this if you use it

mtrv said:

He will hit a mountain sooner or later using his GPS.

CE

A Squared said:
To bring things back to the topic at hand. Yeah, sure if they'd had some spiffy airport diagram pulled up on thier tv screen, and they had cross checked it as they lined up, they could have noticed thier mistake before it was too late.

Getting back to the point. Should an airport diagram showing extremely obvious differences in runway lengths appeared on 2/3rds of a 15" center MFD, such as it will in the new Cessna Mustang, then the odds are much higher, that the mistake would have been caught; regardless of the basics of not catching the runway heading.

Why call it spiffy, or fancy as some here would,if it could have made the difference? It most likely would have made all the difference, as it would have been so dang hard too miss!

Yes, it's good to see high resolution big picture screens evolve through GA on up to business jets, and finally something such as the Boeing Dreamliner. But why not; I remember when a standard moving map handheld contained more vital navigation information than many commercial and military cockpits. There are a lot of accident cases out there, where even a handheld could have been all the difference. It's been reviewed and documented numerous times.

Besides, I don't know what's worse; glass panel pilots not being proficient at old school navigation; or the old school boys and girls not having a clue how to operate glass, and won't dare admit it. I think we're somewhere in the middle of all this, right now.

edit: just hate it when **** is changed to dang. Takes all the emphasis out of it, and makes me feel religious or something.

Last edited:
CrimsonEclipse said:
He will hit a mountain sooner or later using his GPS.
CE

And, why would you say that? Perhaps if it's one of those old school low resolution, narrow field of view GPS's that draw a line on an empty background, then it's possible.

However, with today's terrain depicting, visual terrain warning, and audio terrain warning GPS's in high resolution color, the chances are most likely a lot less. And with 3D virtual terrain presentations, the chances will drop even farther.

Just think, someday, even the modern airliner cockpit might have uplinked XM Satellite type weather, dipicting weather for hundreds of miles, instead of the limitations imposed by radar.

I know of several airline pilots who are jealous right now; and I know many retired commercial and military pilots who would no longer care to fly long cross country flights without XM weather. We're all in that older age, high performance experimental/homebuilt crowd.

Yep, once they've seen it, and used it, they certainly know the value. This is fact! I'm also surprised by how many high tech glass panels go into these kitbuilt airplanes. But if you have money, and the interest to learn how to use them, then why not?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back