Piper Comanche - Good Buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyin Tony said:
I have done 7 hours non stop. I get 155-160 ture on 12 GPH.

WOW! That thing can glide for 2 hours? (unless you have something more than the standard 2x30 gal tanks).

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. It never donned on me to ask about a trial membership. I also realized I was being a bit silly in the first place about the $64 membership fee. If I do buy an aircraft, that $64 will be relatively a drop in the bucket compared to whats coming.

And if I was going to drop 200 grand on an aircraft, it sure wouldn't be a 400hp single! I'd be getting me a pimpin' multi for that!

Flying Tony... tell me a bit more about your $8,000 annual. I made mention of this to another pilot at the airport, and he was taken back a bit by it. I know annuals aren't cheap, but is that something I can expect every year, or did your guy do a lot of fixing and replacing?

And in answer to another posters, it's got the original, cluster-f#*k of a layout panel. Nothing exciting on the radios either. Anyone have any idea what I could epxect to pay to put a new panel in that would allow me to "six pack" the instruments, and give everything a more newer look to it? I've seen some other panels of similiar years on AeroTrader and Trade A Plane that have have been re-laid out great, and look like a more modern day Piper. Curious how much that might set me back, and if it's easy to do.

Simply updating the radios is relatively simple for a good shop, depends on what you're wanting and willing to spend. A new 430 and a couple other new radios will cost around $20k installed. We paid around $7000 for a used KY97 and KNS80 plus new CDI plus used KR86 and plus dual avionics masters and some other minor work, installed. Understand those were all used, refurbed radios, not new.

Remanufacturing the panel to move the gauges around can be more complicated and would require a field approval I believe. You've got to change the plumbing and wiring, look at lighting etc. I know some guys have spent $40-$50K on their Cessna panels. Most all will tell you it's far cheaper to buy an airplane with radios and panel you can live with. I've been dreaming of a new, powder-coated and silk-screened metal panel for the Cessna, along with a refurb of the electrical bus, breakers and panel lighting, and that's around $7K installed as well, with a pre-engineered kit that's already been field approved numerous times. You might double that figure and add 1-2 months for a one-off Commanche panel.

All the above might well be worth the money and effort if you plan on keeping the airplane for 10 or more years, otherwise, it's money you'll never get back. Consider a newer Arrow with modern panel.

Latest resources

Back