Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
I've currently got my eyes on a 1959 Piper Comanche 250, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on it. Also, if any owners out there can give me your thoughts, as well as what I can expect to spend on upkeep and maintenance would be great.

The airplane has 5100 total time, 100 hours on a new engine (250 hp), 200 hours on a new 3-bladed prop, good paint, good interior, manual gear, IFR certified, and owner says burns about 12 gph (is this realistic?).

Thanks in advance...

User997 said:
I've currently got my eyes on a 1959 Piper Comanche 250, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on it. Also, if any owners out there can give me your thoughts, as well as what I can expect to spend on upkeep and maintenance would be great.

The airplane has 5100 total time, 100 hours on a new engine (250 hp), 200 hours on a new 3-bladed prop, good paint, good interior, manual gear, IFR certified, and owner says burns about 12 gph (is this realistic?).

Thanks in advance...

I don't have a lot of time in a Comanche, but what little I do I was pretty happy. I ferried one from the Los Angeles area to Seattle for a guy. I was able to get about 155 kts true on about 11 GPH. Not bad. It has a nice, solid feel to the controls and super easy to land.

When I picked it up, I did not have any Comanche time and the seller of the aircraft goes "hmm...would you like to go up for about an hour and get checked out?" I looked in a mirror, checked myself out and I looked damn good and said "All checked out, ready to go!". Hopped in and went. :)

Didn't fly it IFR, but I imagine it would be good for that.

I too have a little time in a Comanche...just about 4 hours, and the one I used to get my HP signoff in was the same year and model, 1959 PA24-250.

I love to fly that airplane. Very solid feel to it, I think 11-12 gph in cruise and trues at about 150 kt. Piece of cake to land, even my first time flying it. Pretty docile, no real disappointments that I could discern. Hope this helps some.

MFR

The owner at the FBO I teach at has a 63 model with tip tanks and the 250 engine. I will PM you with his e-mail and he can tell you all the info you would ever want to know, he's 8up with his and I have several hours in it and I can say it flies VERY nice and has a 5.5 hour endurance. Very easy to land and a decent TAS. Only drawback is the seating (4 pax) but his weight and balance works out to 2 guys and 2 girls (no heffers) with full fuel.
Donnie

My understanding is the Loch Haven plant put a VERY good coat of rust proofing--very corosion resistant airframe.

I was looking for a 260 C in my price range (needed 5 seats) but wasn't having much luck. Found my Rangemaster instead--but still think Comanches are a good plane.

Go to Comanche Society on web--they've got a very active owners group that can answer your questions.

Thanks for all the information so far (and the referral dragland). I came across the Comanche Society tonight, but haven't had a chance to spend anytime on the site yet.

Is it a reasonable belief that these airplanes should hold their value well over the next few years?

EDIT: I've since had a chance to look at the Comanche Society website, and any links of any usefulness are "Members Only" and they want $64 to signup - NO THANKS!!

Last edited:
Yep- it's a rare day when all of the replies are in agreement, but this is one. The Commanche was/is a great airplane. It was built very solid and as Albie said, the interior corrosion proofing was good.

As far as the time on your particular airplane, that's about in the middle of the pack for PA-24s anymore. The engine time is good too. Of course, we don't know what the asking price is. Also, is the panel the old style or has it been updated?

As far as the fuel consumption, your figure is a little low. I think a number around 16 is a little more realistic. While I have a lot of time in 180s and 260s, I don't in the 250. I do know that I used to get the 235 engine in the PA-28 down to about 13-14 gph if you really worked at it.

The manual gear you're reporting has me a little stumped. It was always a worm-drive jackscrew type affair on all of the ones I flew (and watch your feet under the assist handle when it comes down- ouch!).

Of all the single engine production airplanes out there, if I couldn't have a straight-tail Bonanza, a really nice C model 260 Commanche would be my choice. You buy it right and you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

User997 said:
EDIT: I've since had a chance to look at the Comanche Society website, and any links of any usefulness are "Members Only" and they want $64 to signup - NO THANKS!!
You can complain about that or you can ask.

Send a message to the admin. Tell him that you are looking into purchasing a Comanche and ask for "trial" access to he member forums.

That's what I did before I bought into the 1958 250 that I fly now.

BTW, I love the airplane. Flies great, super stability, and it's performance out here in Colorado is great. But I'm in my first year in it and I still don't know enough about the maintenance issues to be able to answer your questions intelligently.

Latest resources

Back