• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piper Comanche - Good Buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did my Comm/Inst ride in a 180 hp Commanche. From what I recall, some of the airframe parts can be difficult to get. One of the renters dropped the 180 in from about 20' and cracked a main gear casting. Those were tough to find even in 1975. But it was a sweet airplane anyway.

If you're serious about a Commanche, the $64 is probably the best money you may spend on the bird. I pay a bit less for the Cessna Pilot's Association, but the info there probably saves me at least a couple hundred a year on maint. Having all those service bulletins and knowledgeable A&Ps and owners to answer questions for free is definately worth the dues money.

Comanche

I never flew one but did some research and decided not to buy when i was looking for a complex for my school. AOPA or Flying Magazine did a an article on one. Over said it wasn't a bad airplane but expensive to maintain compared to similiar types and had a lot of AD's. Do a search for the article, hope this helps

Have lots of Comanche Time

I owned a beautiful 260 C until 7 months ago when i upgraded to a 310.

They are awesome planes, All of them. The 250 is probably the best bang for the buck.. The earlier models had a basic ventilation system and the panels had avionics on the far left and rt side.. Many have upgraded to an STC's single piece with centerstack.

Sounds like you have a good motor and prop.. Airframe of 5100 is nothing for the comance. I have flown one with 15,000 hrs on it!!

Major possible Expenses:

The landing gear. The electro mechanical gear in my opinion was the best piper had to offer. BUT there is a 1000 hr gear ad and many mechanics dont fully understand the airplane to begin with. I suggest spending the $3000 from webco and rebushing the gear completely. Go out and buy the pre made wiring harness for the gear and upgrade to the teflon push pull conduits. That way your gear will be PERFECT and provide you years of service.

TAIL: Torque Tube and bolts.. Make sure you have the right tail bolts in. I would highly suggest pulling the stab off and inspecting the torque tube for corrosion. It is overlooked and vulnerable.. Spend the 10 hrs of labor and inspect the tube. I have seen one that had stripper get caught in there and the tube was completely corroded to the point that it was falling apart. ( yes this is basically the spar for the stab). While you are back there change out the bearings and bolts.

PARTS: Absolutely no problem.. www.webco.com makes nearly every wear part you could need for the plane.. Anything else is available from the junk yards. Plus numerous other vendors

Never once in 1500 hrs hours of ownership did i have a problem getting a part

Make sure you inspect the nose gear real close. They are easy to land flat or on the nose..

I am assuming you meant manual flaps?

PERFORMANCE: Every day of the week 150kts, 6000-7000 ft 13.5 gph.

The plane will land and fly better at gross then it does light.

Regardless of what anyone else says with proper technique you can fly this bird out of 1500 ft grass runway no problem.

Use top of the white arc 120mph for gear not 150 as per the book and you will save your gear doors ( warping, cracking) and motor.

By the way each piece of the plane was alodined and zinc chromated BEFORE assembly!

Most importantly check the insurance.. Many carriers wont write a plane that old.. Plus there have been numerous accidents and the insurers are gun shy.

FYI: I was paying $3150 for $130,000 hull with a smooth million in liability 1969 C Model

My 310 is $3200 $170,000 hull smooth mil
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
clickclickboom said:
Regardless of what anyone else says with proper technique you can fly this bird out of 1500 ft grass runway no problem.
It wasn't 1500 or grass, but it was a semi-soft gravel field 2600' long at 4000 msl (density altitude higher). no problem at all.

Aw now you have done it

You let the secret out of the bag. I have owned a few PA-24's, belief it or not my favorite is the 180, excellent gas/mile. Be carefull to inspect the landing gear bushings and corrosion on the gear. No big deal if you find some but re-bush the gear pretty early in the game, this will save you heartache in the long run, also will make the old girl track nicely down the runway. If you are going to keep it outside make sure the rubber seals are snug on both doors and the window.

A case of oil in the baggage compartment makes a PA-24 handle like a dream.

CORRECTION: http://www.webcoaircraft.com/

clickclickboom said:

They are awesome planes, All of them. The 250 is probably the best bang for the buck.. The earlier models had a basic ventilation system and the panels had avionics on the far left and rt side.. Many have upgraded to an STC's single piece with centerstack.

Sounds like you have a good motor and prop.. Airframe of 5100 is nothing for the comance. I have flown one with 15,000 hrs on it!!

Major possible Expenses:

The landing gear. The electro mechanical gear in my opinion was the best piper had to offer. BUT there is a 1000 hr gear ad and many mechanics dont fully understand the airplane to begin with. I suggest spending the $3000 from webco and rebushing the gear completely. Go out and buy the pre made wiring harness for the gear and upgrade to the teflon push pull conduits. That way your gear will be PERFECT and provide you years of service.

TAIL: Torque Tube and bolts.. Make sure you have the right tail bolts in. I would highly suggest pulling the stab off and inspecting the torque tube for corrosion. It is overlooked and vulnerable.. Spend the 10 hrs of labor and inspect the tube. I have seen one that had stripper get caught in there and the tube was completely corroded to the point that it was falling apart. ( yes this is basically the spar for the stab). While you are back there change out the bearings and bolts.

PARTS: Absolutely no problem.. www.webco.com makes nearly every wear part you could need for the plane.. Anything else is available from the junk yards. Plus numerous other vendors

Make sure you inspect the nose gear real close. They are easy to land flat or on the nose..

Use top of the white arc 120mph for gear not 150 as per the book and you will save your gear doors ( warping, cracking) and motor.

By the way each piece of the plane was alodined and zinc chromated BEFORE assembly!

Most importantly check the insurance.. Many carriers wont write a plane that old.. Plus there have been numerous accidents and the insurers are gun shy.

FYI: I was paying $3150 for $130,000 hull with a smooth million in liability 1969 C Model

Hope this helps...

http://www.webcoaircraft.com/

CORRECTION: http://www.webcoaircraft.com/

clickclickboom said:

Major possible Expenses:

Hope this helps...

http://www.webcoaircraft.com/

Comanche 400

Forget all you've heard about the Comanche 180-260 series, those are girly-man planes, if you want to join the big boys you need one of these:

http://www.comanche400.com

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Very durable plane--I know used to know a guy who geared on up--TWICE!! He then went on to fly an airliner in the UAE. Look at the history for the plane you are buying. If it is or ever was owned by Mike Wilson, let it gooooooooooo!

We have a 64 250 we are putting up for sale right now. 4300TT 900SMOH and 5STOH. I have done 7 hours non stop. I get 155-160 ture on 12 GPH. I would look for a 62-64 250 if your going to buy one. They do get costly had a 8,000 annual last month.

Latest resources

Back