• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pipeline patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, not yet. I fly pipeline patrol and I am not familiar with a company that big (29 aircraft) in AR. We usually hear about other companies that are looking for pilots, but not on this one. Beginning to think it might be one of Planejob's BS posts. It wouldnt be the first time they've done that from what I've read about them.

Anyone know who does pipeline patrol in the Rocky Mountain area? (Wy, Co, ect)

I think I answered this for you in the other thread about this Arkansas job, but I'll give it to you again. Check with Brentco, they are based in Durango, CO. I know one of their pilots and he seems to like working for them. They've got contracts on lines that run in CO, ND, SD, WY, NM, etc. Dont have their number, but they should be listed. Also check with Sky Patrol. http://www.skypatrol.com . They do alot of stuff out that way, and they've got a training program for low timers also that gets you up to speed on aerial patrol operations. Dont know anything about them other than what their website say, though. There is another one called Eagle Sky Patrol, and I think they are based in SD, but I'll have to check on that for sure. I'm sure there are others, but those three come to mind right now. Are you looking for a patrol position? If so, I hope you are not just looking at it as a time building job. There's alot more to it than just sitting in the left seat all day racking up hours. Most pipeline companys now require their contractor's pilots to hold pipeline operator qualification cards (I have to hold 4 different qual cards for the different companies we contract to). You need to be VERY comfortable operating at low altitudes (300 to 500 AGL or lower), constantly maneuvering at those altitudes, and paying attention to whats going on with the pipeline right of way and facilities while flying the aircraft and dodging obstructions (damn cell phone towers grow faster than weeds around here). Sometimes a pipeline leak may be just a dark spot on the ground, or covered by brush, trees, etc. If you miss a leak, it may cost the pipeline company thousands, even millions of dollars in repair, clean up, and remediation costs. Trust me, they can get pretty bent out of shape when a patrol pilot misses something. Sometimes it cant be helped, due to overgrowth, etc., but usually it is the result of not paying attention. You also need to be very familiar with your emergency proceedures and be able to execute them without thinking about it. At the altitudes we fly at, there's not much time to decide where your gonna put it down if the need arises. Like ag flying and other low level ops, it isnt for everybody. It's just not a time building job like towing banners, traffic watch, sightseeing, etc.

Last edited:
i checked out the mins for sky patrol, any idea if they would take anyone with lower time? i already live in the san diego area and i'm going to school so i'd be there for a while till i'm done with my BS. Thanks!

Sky Patrol sounds kind of interesting. Any idea what they operate (I did see a Skymaster on their website) and the pay?

Sorry, I have no idea what they pay. Dont know what Sky Patrol is flying either, but I would assume 172's or 182's, as that's pretty much the standard aerial patrol platform. The company I fly for is also using a couple of 206's as camera ships for the imaging equipment we use on powerline patrols. I've seen everything from 152's up through 185's, 206's, 210's, Cardinals, up to twins including Skymaster's, Seminoles, and Twin Comanche's used in patrol ops, it just depends on the company and the mission.

agpilot34 said:
I think I answered this for you in the other thread about this Arkansas job, but I'll give it to you again. Check with Brentco, they are based in Durango, CO. I know one of their pilots and he seems to like working for them. They've got contracts on lines that run in CO, ND, SD, WY, NM, etc. Dont have their number, but they should be listed. Also check with Sky Patrol. http://www.skypatrol.com . They do alot of stuff out that way, and they've got a training program for low timers also that gets you up to speed on aerial patrol operations. Dont know anything about them other than what their website say, though. There is another one called Eagle Sky Patrol, and I think they are based in SD, but I'll have to check on that for sure. I'm sure there are others, but those three come to mind right now. Are you looking for a patrol position? If so, I hope you are not just looking at it as a time building job. There's alot more to it than just sitting in the left seat all day racking up hours. Most pipeline companys now require their contractor's pilots to hold pipeline operator qualification cards (I have to hold 4 different qual cards for the different companies we contract to). You need to be VERY comfortable operating at low altitudes (300 to 500 AGL or lower), constantly maneuvering at those altitudes, and paying attention to whats going on with the pipeline right of way and facilities while flying the aircraft and dodging obstructions (dang cell phone towers grow faster than weeds around here). Sometimes a pipeline leak may be just a dark spot on the ground, or covered by brush, trees, etc. If you miss a leak, it may cost the pipeline company thousands, even millions of dollars in repair, clean up, and remediation costs. Trust me, they can get pretty bent out of shape when a patrol pilot misses something. Sometimes it cant be helped, due to overgrowth, etc., but usually it is the result of not paying attention. You also need to be very familiar with your emergency proceedures and be able to execute them without thinking about it. At the altitudes we fly at, there's not much time to decide where your gonna put it down if the need arises. Like ag flying and other low level ops, it isnt for everybody. It's just not a time building job like towing banners, traffic watch, sightseeing, etc.

I'm sorry, must have missed it. Thanks, though.

socal_pilot said:
i checked out the mins for sky patrol, any idea if they would take anyone with lower time? i already live in the san diego area and i'm going to school so i'd be there for a while till i'm done with my BS. Thanks!

edited for wrong info!! (Sorry)

Last edited:
135?

I've been doing Pipeline for 4 years in a 206 and in 5 states. I have run into many other PL drivers from different contractors and PL Companies. All were flying part 91. Like stated before, it is a different form of flying and at times a good way to get killed if not on top of things. I fly topnotch equipment and don't have anxiety about engine failures low level like I used to have. However, I always plan for it. Weather is the largest problem and most PL drivers are flying under a FAA waiver to fly in cruddy weather as long as they are over the pipeline. You have to be IFR ready in case ya have to get up vs turn around. No pressure from the CO I fly for, but you find yourself in weather low level that can get your heart pumping at times.

Latest resources

Back