Pipeline patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just found this on the Trade-A-Plane classifieds if anyone is interested:

Experienced Patrol Pilot: for pipeline patrol in West Texas. Must possess Commercial, 1200 hrs TT. 3 days a week, starting pay $36,000 per year with benefits. Full time position. Fax resume to (970) 382-9743.

I'm not sure what company this is, but they are based in Colorado (970 is Colorado area code). Not a bad paycheck for three days a week of flying.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've talked to a couple of patrollers who do underground stuff ie. cable, oil lines, etc. They're looking for people digging where they shouldn't like construction sites and stuff like that. The PL guys here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup, you're correct. Patrolling underground cable is the same as patrolling underground pipeline routes for the most part. You're looking at the right of way, where the cable or pipeline is burried. Looking for construction adjacent to the ROW that might be interfering, encroachments, leaks (on pipeline), and security at facilities is big now, also. Anytime I'm on my route and see any vehicles that I cant immediately identify as company owned, I call it in. You never know these days.

Would like to know about any in the Pacific NW I see a guy at my local airport fly’s a yellow 180 that says pipeline one it under the wings. Dojnt talk with many locals people they say he is scud running all the time I say sounds like fun!

Sounds like a typical response from people who dont have a clue what is actually going on. They see a low flying aircraft, and immediately think he's doing something unsafe. Truth is, yeah, we scud run quite a bit, BUT, the FAA waivers us to do so, as long as we are on the pipeline right of way. I flew for 2.5 yesterday on a special, and the ceiling was 500 overcast with around a mile and a half visibility, but, I know my patrol route, I know where the obstructions are, and if I get to a point where I feel it's too bad to continue, I climb up, go IFR, and return home. I am lucky enough to fly for a company that does not pressure it's pilots to go. We make our own go/no go decisions pertaining to weather, and the company stands behind us 100%. All of the companys I am familiar with follow the same policy.

NW_Pilot- It's fun flying, but there's alot of work involved in it, also. I would suggest maybe talking with the guy with the yellow 180. If he's flown in that area for a while, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction as far as other companys in the area.

Latest resources

Back