Pipeline patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Troy,
Patrol ops are strictly flown under part 91, no 135 stuff involved at all. Actually, Sky Patrol has some of the lowest minimums for time I have seen. Most require around 1000 hrs. before they'll even look at you.

Trimotor,
Nice to see another PL driver here. You hit the weather situation right on the head. my company is the same way, though... no pressure to go. Who are you flying for, if you dont mind me asking?

Oops, I am mistaken. Sorry for posting wrong info. I am "ass"uming again.!

I've heard of them at one time or another, but I dont think they're around anymore. I'm not even sure who's flying AT&T's fiber optic stuff now.

Anyone know of any PL outfits in WI or MN? Thanks.

I Dont personally have any contacts up that way, but you might try hitting the FBO's and asking them. If they are anything like the FBO's around here, they usually know who and what comes and goes on a regular basis, and they might be able to steer you towards an operator or two in that area.

What kind of money does a pipeline patrol pilot make? Just curious.

Depends on the company, the contract, and the hours, really. Some contracts pay by the air mile, some by the amount of time it takes to fly the route. First seat I had I was making $18.00/ flight hour, and flying an average of 7 hours a day, 4 days a week. There's several companies that start out in the high 30's plus benefits. I'm in the mid 40's range, and am supposed to get a raise in the next few months. I've got a friend down in Texas that's an independant contractor, and he pulled down a little over 90 grand last year doing both pipeline and powerline work. There's some good paying seats out there.

What are the schedules like? Are you home alot?

Again, it depends on the company and the route. If you're flying cross country lines, you might be gone two, three, four days at a time. If you're flying gathering systems, you might be home every night if your area is close to home. It really just depends on the route.

Latest resources

Back