• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Sampler Platter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am glad some people are happy at 9E. But your low expectations don't change the fact that Pinnacle is a substandard pilot job. For some people it might be a reasonable choice (although, I really can't imagine why anyone would come here right now instead of XJ). But it is still one of the worst jobs in the airline buisness.

Turbo

You will not find too many regional airline pilots who do not complain about their companies.

You'll look long and hard to find a pilot at ExpressJet that is unhappy with their company. This idea that all regionals are created equal is nothing but BS. Pinnacle is bottom of the barrel.

Quick upgrade, a lot of days off when you are still junior. Pay sucks and reserve sucks.

What good will those "lots of days off" do for you your first two years as an FO when you're living on poverty wages and struggling to get by while still living in your parents' basement? But yeah, you're definitely right that reserve sucks. In fact, that's a major understatement. Human rights groups should spend some time studying the Pinnacle reserve system. Amnesty International would probably list Pinnacle in their annual report of human rights violators right alongside China.

It's about your attitude towards life. The unhappy people are always unhappy no matter where they are.

Is that so? I was miserable at Pinnacle, but pretty dang happy at my new employer. In fact, pretty much everyone I know that's left Pinnacle for the majors is very happy with their new homes. Maybe you should actually get out of the hellhole and maybe you'll see just how much greener the grass really is on the other side of the fence.

When I started at 9E there was no pay during training, and they did not put us up during that time. No per diem once we DID pass training due to the fact that we were all considered MEM based. When I asked KM when that would change, she smugged and said, "when pilots stop applying". I flew my contract, I supported my union. I guess I used the company as much as they used me. I got lucky and moved on....

I'm just trying to decide between pinnacle and shuttle America. Pinnacle-quick upgrade potential but commuting. Shuttle-live in base and fly the 170? I think I'd be happier living on base, but the quick upgrade time is a carrot that is hard not to chase.
I just can't tell if things are really miserable at pinnacle or if you guys are just worn out and mad.

I'm just trying to decide between pinnacle and shuttle America. Pinnacle-quick upgrade potential but commuting. Shuttle-live in base and fly the 170? I think I'd be happier living on base, but the quick upgrade time is a carrot that is hard not to chase.
I just can't tell if things are really miserable at pinnacle or if you guys are just worn out and mad.

I know several guys that have left Pinnacle and came to RAH and are now much much happier. That should tell you something right there.

You gotta live in base or this place would be a nightmare...

Good god, you live in a Shuttle base and are considering Pinnacle? Are you nuts? I mean, who gives a rats butt about the 170, but this is a no-brainer. The upgrade time at Shuttle should be plenty fast.

Now commuting FROM a Pinnacle base to work at a better regional like say ExpressJet, THAT might be worth it....

Turbo

Let me add a bit to this..

re-read your statement, are they miserable or worn out and mad? what is the difference? If you have a pilot group that is worn out and mad, it is basically miserable conditions.

okay enough of a rant.

Pinnacle is losing FO's at an alarming rate. Many new FO's don't make it out a year, they are long gone within 6 months to the regional of choice, corporate or fractionals.

the company is trying to put in a FO retention program. Now CA's they understand, the exodus of FO's they cannot understand. That in itself should tell you something. It is understandable why a CA is moving on, but FO's? it has little to do with the contract, it is more culture, pay, and overall treatment.

Pinnacle is not that bad, if you live in domicile, have an easy commute and/or have limited other opportunities. So... if you are a 300 hour program pilot, Pinnacle works until you become more competitive. If you are competitive, why not find the best job out there instead of settling for what is basically one of the bottom of the barrel regionals.

regardless, best of luck on your decision... at least you have choices, that makes it all the more easier!

Pinnacle walks all over their employee's. Cheats them out of pay. Fires them for calling in sick. Cares nothing for their families. Con's pilots into flying in violation to the FAR's. And manages though intimidation.

If you go to work for them stand with your back to a wall at all times and guard your gonads (if so equipped) with both hands.

Cares nothing for their families.

I had this case about 2 maybe 3 years ago...

FO gets extended, he refuses... SOC makes a big deal out of it. During the investigation (on the spot no less) the FO states he can't because he is going to his mothers 91st Birthday party. He bid for it off and he was going hell or high water as his family were all attending.

SOC... no.. we NEED him he CANNOT refuse the extension.

PILOT.. I am.. sorry...

SOC... to base management, WTF?! are we now giving guys off for birthdays????

union... uh.. how many 91st birthdays a person has?

SOC... silence... we disagree, the cancellation will go on the base if they can't convince the pilot

Base management.. we will call you back.

Pilot goes home to birthday party, base takes a hit and lectures the pilot to be more "available".

Union reminds base that we have lives and we can easily remind ALL pilots of that fact if this attitude prevails. This was back when every extension refusal had to be explained.. yes, we had to explain why we did not want to work more than our schedule....

Latest resources

Back