Pinnacle Pilots - FLY SAFE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 Hey what's up buddy?
Can you explain to me why the Co. is pushing me to file FMLA? Whats in it for them? How is it screwing me?

PCL_128 Hey what's up buddy?
Can you explain to me why the Co. is pushing me to file FMLA? Whats in it for them? How is it screwing me?
It's an intimidation tactic. They know that lots of people don't want to go through all of the trouble in getting the FMLA paperwork handled, and lots of pilots are scared of discipline from the sick leave policy without using FMLA, so lots of pilots will simply come to work even though they're really sick. The truth is, no one has ever been really disciplined for calling in sick, even though they've far exceeded the number of sick calls that the policy allows. It's all just intimidation tactics that are designed to force people to come to work sick so they don't have to staff the airline properly and pay out sick time.

Even if you do FLEX. Put NO in the ACARS. The company has a deal with GE regarding flexing and cost savings on maintenance.

Even if you do FLEX. Put NO in the ACARS. The company has a deal with GE regarding flexing and cost savings on maintenance.
I believe the information that GE uses to determine Pinnacle's power-by-hour cost is based off of data downloaded from the airplane. I think they use the actual N1 and ITT numbers. You can view all of that data that is downloaded by using the MFD Menu functions. I wouldn't stop FLEXing, though, even if it does increase their costs. Chances of an engine failure almost double by using full rated thrust rather than reduced thrust on takeoff. "Work to rule" efforts should focus on increased safety, not decreased safety.

The other day/night, we started our day at 8:25 am cst. In MEM (Finally) at 10:35. So 14:10 minutes on duty. Still had a Knoxville turn that wasn't supposed to get in now until after 1:30 am est. Scheduling had the nerve to tell us to go to 16 hours and take the flt. We told them to fax the paperwork to the hotel.

The wheels are coming off the train. And it's entertaining to watch.

Thought this would be a good time to bring back page one.

Quote.
Fellow Pinnacle pilots,

At this time of great frustration, let us focus our energy on something positive. I suggest that we all recommit ourselves to being the safest pilots we can be. I believe that if we can demonstrate to our management that we can be the safest airline in the country, that they will reward us with the contract we deserve. Below are some examples that I believe will serve our passengers and company with maximum safety.

Do not fly sick. Our FOM says that you can not accept a flight assignment if you would be a detriment to the safety of flight. The company DOES NOT want you to fly sick. That is why they give you sick time. If you are sick, they want you use your sick time and get well. That is also why pinnacle does not pay out your sick bank when you leave the company. They expect you to use it up when you are sick and avoid taking any chances of getting your fellow crew members sick. It is right there in the FOM. That is why they have reserve pilots.

Taxi at a very safe speed. Remember, the speed of a brisk walk. This is especially important right now because of the ice and snow that can be on taxiways. Also, with the start up of Delta operations, the company would not want any embarrassing taxi mishaps that put our new contract in jeopardy. So taxi at a very safe speed. Don't allow yourself to become distracted in the busy terminal environment. If you have to do something that will distract you from your primary taxi duties, such as a complicated checklist, maintenance issue or numbers problem, SET THE BRAKE. You owe it to your paying passengers that expect your full attention when moving the aircraft.

Dropping the parking brake before the cargo door is closed or a push crew is in place is a safety hazard. That is why the FOM says not to. If the cargo door is open and they are still loading bags, someone could get injured if the chocks were not perfectly installed. The airplane could roll. Also, if you don't have a push crew in place, don't drop the brake. They need to be their to supervise the aircraft if the brake is released, just in case a chock popped out. Personal injury or aircraft damage could result. Follow the FOM. The company places more value on being SAFE, then being on time. They would rather you send a delay report than an injury/damage report. Remember our guiding principle, "Never compromise Safety".

Right up any maintenance issues regardless of where and when they are discovered. You are not doing your fellow pilot or your paying passengers any favors by putting up with a broken airplane. Plus, the FOM says you MUST document all maintenance problems. The company wants you to do this. It is in the book. That is why they have Maintenance technicians. Also, avoid the temptation to just reset a circuit breaker. This is not what pinnacle wants you to do. It is in the CFM/FOM. Stop, put the brake on, and call maintenance. Just like the companies has trained us. They want to document these problems so they fix reoccurring issues. But they won't know if you just reset the circuit breaker. Follow the CFM/FOM.

Do not allow yourself to be distracted from your primary duties of passenger safety and comfort. Your responsibility is to move the aircraft per the CFM/FOM, ensure that it is always in the proper configuration, that all the appropriate check lists have been completed correctly and that no limitations are exceeded. This takes all your concentration and professionalism. Your job is hard enough. Don't be distracted and allow your focus to be derailed be doing someone Else's job. Calling for numbers, calling for a push crew or a park crew distracts you from YOUR job. Operations, dispatch and load control have not forgotten about you. They have a job to do, and calling them just distracts them from their job. They are working on it. Do not bother them. Your focus should remain on your tasks and duties. Your passengers do not want you to be distracted.

I believe that if can demonstrate that we can be the safest airline in the country, that our management will see how valuable we are and reward us with a fair contract.

I hope you will all join me in my re-commitment to safety. Quote.

Latest resources

Back