• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan get TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not checking out won't help with that - it just saves time getting to the bus or catching your ride home. In years past when PCL pilots didn't check out Crew Scheduling simply killed your release on your last leg - until you called. You could not even print it. Mesaba isn't JM'ing because they have a lot of staffing. Their contract provisions have little to do with it. They are an Airline that has been furloughing for some time.

Have the gate agent call. Sit on the plane. Mgt will not tolerate these delays for long. They better JM for a productive trip the next day. It's gonna cost them 8 hrs.

Last edited:
The pay rates in this TA are an improvement - and it will no doubt be ratified. However - the current '99 book gives all pilots more control over their life than the JCBA TA. Everyone should understand what they sold and at what price.

You must have your head completely up your a** if you think the '99 PCL book gave pilots more control over their lives. I think its pretty clear that you have no idea what our current book even allows.

You must have your head completely up your a** if you think the '99 PCL book gave pilots more control over their lives. I think its pretty clear that you have no idea what our current book even allows.

Assignments that are now called 'extensions' in the current book can be refused once a month, nine in a year. The JCBA redefines these and lumps them in with 'junior assignments.' The number of refusals is limited to three a year, vs nine currently. This also puts a hard limit on JA refusals - something that is not even in the current book. This will force pilots to husband their refusals until they really need them. Pilots will learn to keep at least one of them unused until December. This will more than likely result in a significant drop in the number of refusals. Perversly, the company will have a greater degree of certianty these assignments will be accepted than they do now.

I know exactly what is in the 'current book'.

If the pilot and company cannot mutually agree upon the date of a comp day, the pilot will submit 3 days and the company must choose one. Comp days can only be sold voluntarily by the pilot. If the company chooses to not follow the TA, we will have as strong and active of a grievance committee as we need. There is good grievance language in the TA, as well.

You appear to be chasing money.

what else should we be chasing?
families aren't for sale, but more pay would make it a bit better. You get better pay, guys won't need to pick up open time to make extra cash to pay the bills.

"QOL" in the contract will always be raped by management, no matter how great it is. This is where ALPA needs to be cut and dry on the wording, otherwise the language allows for different interpretations and loop holes.

what else should we be chasing?
families aren't for sale, but more pay would make it a bit better. You get better pay, guys won't need to pick up open time to make extra cash to pay the bills.

"QOL" in the contract will always be raped by management, no matter how great it is. This is where ALPA needs to be cut and dry on the wording, otherwise the language allows for different interpretations and loop holes.

Therein lies the problem, all this talk about "quality work rules". Work rules are used when convenient and tossed when they aren't. Grievances are basically useless when you need Wednesday off and end up with two comp days 6 weeks from now (actual example).

The problem is people have completely lost the definition of "QOL". "Quality of Life" is directly related to how much you are paid for the lack of it. I don't go to work for days off, I go to work for money.

Assignments that are now called 'extensions' in the current book can be refused once a month, nine in a year. The JCBA redefines these and lumps them in with 'junior assignments.' The number of refusals is limited to three a year, vs nine currently. This also puts a hard limit on JA refusals - something that is not even in the current book. This will force pilots to husband their refusals until they really need them. Pilots will learn to keep at least one of them unused until December. This will more than likely result in a significant drop in the number of refusals. Perversly, the company will have a greater degree of certianty these assignments will be accepted than they do now.

I know exactly what is in the 'current book'.

Which one of these is better?

Current PCL book on junior assignments:
- Unlimited quantity and frequency
- No requirement to use reserves first
- 125% premium pay
- No refusability
- No minimum day off standard other than 1 day off in 7.

New book (per summary):
- Limited to eight duty periods per year and two per month
- Must use all reserves first
- 150% pay (same day)/200% pay (scheduled off day) + Plus min day applies to premium
- Comp day awarded to all off day assignments (except for the first event per year if you are awarded above 11 days off)
- Guaranteed refusability on three per year
- No J/A below 10 days off

The problem is people have completely lost the definition of "QOL". "Quality of Life" is directly related to how much you are paid for the lack of it. I don't go to work for days off, I go to work for money.

ALPA cheerleaders will tell everyone that "Flying the Line" is a MUST read for all airline pilots. I doubt any of them, especially at Nation and locals levels have even read it themselves.
In the book, page 2 he Hopkins writes " ALPA's primary function has always been to make sure pilots got a decent wage. The corollary to this pursuit has been to see if they lived long enough to spend it."

Seems to me that ALPA has moved away from that, and now just worries about QOL....and what a wonderful job they have done.

Don't go spending all that money at once now, ya hear?!

Which one of these is better?

Current PCL book on junior assignments:
- Unlimited quantity and frequency
- No requirement to use reserves first
- 125% premium pay
- No refusability
- No minimum day off standard other than 1 day off in 7.

New book (per summary):
- Limited to eight duty periods per year and two per month
- Must use all reserves first
- 150% pay (same day)/200% pay (scheduled off day) + Plus min day applies to premium
- Comp day awarded to all off day assignments (except for the first event per year if you are awarded above 11 days off)
- Guaranteed refusability on three per year
- No J/A below 10 days off

I'm not disagreeing with you at all on the point you are trying to make, but I think Pinnacle already has refusability of some sort

I'm not disagreeing with you at all on the point you are trying to make, but I think Pinnacle already has refusability of some sort

We don't have contractual refusability on junior assignments. Lots of people refuse to do them and management doesn't seem to care but its not because the contract gives us that ability.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back