• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle in trouble!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I understand the NWA contract, which I interpret differently than other people(management background), is NWA can operate the jets at mainline using mainline pilots with mainline seniority that are contractually separated from pilots whom are scope protected.

I think you are incorrect to put it mildly, but I'll give you the chance to quote chapter and verse to support that statement.

NWA BOUGHT Express (aka PCL) to improve the product, and that didn't really help either other than being able to fire the people running the place.

Didn't really help? Do you have any idea what this place was like in 1997?

The thing is....

I think we're on a road leading to the point you made, but there's a long stretch of road ahead

There should have never been anything but. To me, the concept of an airline within an airline and airline pilots been branded as separate classes always made as much sense as Braille on a drive through teller machine. There shouldn't have been ANY outsourcing of any kind, NEVER. If there is a kite in the sky with NWA colors on it (Or any brand for that matter) there should be a NWA seniority pilot at the end of the string, simple as that.

The problems with the regional not finding adequate personnel is not only a matter of money, because lets be frank here. Starting at any mainline carrier in this country the pay sucks! and I put it mildly. The way I see it is that people would endure the hardship of low pay and bad schedules if they saw a career progression in their future. If lets say, a young person that would be hired within the NWA system as an F/O on the Saab, can see that as time progresses he can become Captain on the Saab and from there Captain on the CRJ-200 and CRJ-900 and from there F/O on the DC-9 and end his career after 30 years of service within THE SAME CORPORATE STRUCTURE, as a Captain on the 74 or the 87. This same corporate structure would be swampt with resumes to fly for the same $20 bucks an hour. Why? It would be a CAREER at that point not just another job or a means to an end. I'm sure that they would be able to keep a lower cost structure flying the smaller A/C's as well as the flexibility of not dealing with SCOPE while placing the right size A/C without limitations on the right size market.
But since I'm a Dumb Pilot, I definitely don't understand the big picture and ALPA's and management's Kool aid taste exactly the same. They both taste like $hit

Done ranting

Time to call HR and tell them you'll work for no less than $100K, see how desperate they really are.

I've read this story before...isn't this were ALPA steps in to save the day?

ALPA: Don't worry management, we'll take the paycuts to keep the company going!
Management: Uhhh...we didn't ask for paycuts yet
ALPA: Sorry, kneejerk reaction
Management: But now that we're talking about paycuts...
ALPA: I'll go grab the KY!

Aaaahahahahaha, ALPA sucks

I've read this story before...isn't this were ALPA steps in to save the day?

ALPA: Don't worry management, we'll take the paycuts to keep the company going!
Management: Uhhh...we didn't ask for paycuts yet
ALPA: Sorry, kneejerk reaction
Management: But now that we're talking about paycuts...
ALPA: I'll go grab the KY!

Aaaahahahahaha, ALPA sucks

Unions are artificial buffers for the market... sometimes the market is more convincing.....

Wonder if the loss of the bid for DL CRJ-900's to Mesa was, in part, because of the poor completion performance in the last month or two?

I'm sitting in DAY and noticed the PCL sign-in sheet had CXLD by both overnight flights (they had just gotten the call on the late one when we were signing in).

Not good.

Sent a letter last week just for giggles to senior management suggesting a part-time recall of CA's who have left in the last 2 years (and qualify for the short recurrent course) on a short-term basis (6 months or less) with the ability to pick up whatever open time they want at their previous longevity with Junior Assignment rates (would be cheaper than canceling a flight).

I'm not expecting (nor have I received) a response, and of course, a LOA would be required due to the contract limits on non-seniority list pilots or on filling of vacancies), but it would be a short-term stop gap measure while they get their staffing together and would save the cancellations that have been ongoing and will continue for several more months until they catch up.

Thought it would be amusing just to see if anyone responded to my email.

Won't be holding my breath... ;)

:D

Ah yes, the everlasting pilot dream. To work for an airline on Your Own Terms. I guess that's another sign of how truly bad so many regional contracts are. (Yup, XJ's contract included, too, especially if you're an FO!)

Latest resources

Back