Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
baggage elevator = belt loader?

nevermind, I see what it is now

For others who might be wondering, no not a belt loader, literally a small elevator they have built into the jetways in Dayton, to raise the carry on luggage up to the folks.

But belt loaders are no safer, there was a ramper killed in DCA last year, trapped between a belt loader and an E170. I walk around those suckers now.

The best advice I ever got about the ramp was to 'never be complacent'. I'm sure many of you 'old-timers' at XJT remember when the GM at LIT walked into the #1 of an ATR42-500. That was a terrible day and a great loss for COEX. You'd think after 20+ years you'd know better...but when you're used to #1 being shut down before entering the ramp EVERY TIME, the tendancy can be to take short-cuts. That short-cut was walking under the wing on the way from the front baggage compartment to the pax door in the rear...he never knew what hit him.
Speaking of short-cuts...I remember when Sports Page rode a belt loader from an ERJ down to the ramp in CLE and has his glutios maximus (A$$ muscle) tore off from the guard malfunctioning. That was a painful sight. Complacency and laziness.
Be safe on the ramp. And whatever you do...don't walk between baggage carts hooked up to a tug. If a ramper jumps on the tug he/she won't know you're there and will take off. A guy in EWR got f'd up pretty bad in 98 or 99 from this. I'm sure meny of you have seen close calls from this.
Cheers

Latest resources

Back