Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
baggage elevator = belt loader?

nevermind, I see what it is now

For others who might be wondering, no not a belt loader, literally a small elevator they have built into the jetways in Dayton, to raise the carry on luggage up to the folks.

But belt loaders are no safer, there was a ramper killed in DCA last year, trapped between a belt loader and an E170. I walk around those suckers now.

The best advice I ever got about the ramp was to 'never be complacent'. I'm sure many of you 'old-timers' at XJT remember when the GM at LIT walked into the #1 of an ATR42-500. That was a terrible day and a great loss for COEX. You'd think after 20+ years you'd know better...but when you're used to #1 being shut down before entering the ramp EVERY TIME, the tendancy can be to take short-cuts. That short-cut was walking under the wing on the way from the front baggage compartment to the pax door in the rear...he never knew what hit him.
Speaking of short-cuts...I remember when Sports Page rode a belt loader from an ERJ down to the ramp in CLE and has his glutios maximus (A$$ muscle) tore off from the guard malfunctioning. That was a painful sight. Complacency and laziness.
Be safe on the ramp. And whatever you do...don't walk between baggage carts hooked up to a tug. If a ramper jumps on the tug he/she won't know you're there and will take off. A guy in EWR got f'd up pretty bad in 98 or 99 from this. I'm sure meny of you have seen close calls from this.
Cheers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back