Pinnacle fatality at DAY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

Friend of mine from Dayton just called me and said he had heard on their local news that a Pinnacle ground agent had been killed at Dayton.

Anyone confirm?

I hope it isn't true.

But if it is, my thoughts and prayers are with the agent's family and loved ones.

Yikes, we had a ground service employee killed weeks back here at mainline. The ramp is a very dangerous place.

21-year-old woman. Sad. My thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family.

Only 21....very sad. Be safe out there everyone.

DAYTON — The Pinnacle Airlines employee who died Wednesday after being crushed by a luggage elevator was attempting to dislodge an object stuck in the lift, according to an airline spokesman.

Catrina Coffman, 21, of Dayton died at 5:22 p.m. Wednesday at Miami Valley Hospital as a result asphyxiation due to mechanical chest compression and blunt force injury to the torso, according to the Montgomery Coroner's office.

The incident occurred at 7:15 a.m. The coroner has ruled Coffman's death as accidental.

"We have some initial reports that apparently an object became lodged in (the elevator lift) and the employee in question was attempting to dislodge it," said Phil Reed, spokesperson for Pinnacle. "We are so deeply saddened by this event. It's just shocking and upsetting to us, and we want to make sure we fully understand what occurred."

The Cincinnati area office of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident.

Pinnacle, which operates as Northwest Airlink, provides commuter services at Dayton International for Northwest Airlines.

The luggage-sized elevator used by Pinnacle is located in an area Northwest Airlines leases from the city of Dayton, which owns the airport.

It's in the vicinity of the airport gates under the jetway — the long accordion-like passage that passengers walk through to board airplanes.

The area is only for employees, without public access, said Sharon Sears, airport spokeswoman.

"This is a secured operations area. It is something passengers do not see or use," she said.

In recent history, there have been at least two other employee deaths at the Dayton airport, she said.

A male employee of the Menlo Logistics Center died about a year-and-a-half ago after boxes of freight fell on him. More than a decade ago, a Trans World Airline employee, also a male, died from injuries after an airline tire exploded.

Reed said he could recall only one other employee death in Pinnacle's 22-year history.

"I believe it was about seven or eight years ago we did have an employee who was killed in Memphis, Tenn. after they came in contact with a propeller," he said. "It was horrifying."

Based in Memphis, Tenn. Pinnacle Airlines Corp. has two operating subsidiaries — Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. and Colgan Air, Inc.

Yeah, those two PILOTS in Jefferson City, what were they?

F'ing Phil. what a tool.

Reed said he could recall only one other employee death in Pinnacle's 22-year history.

"I believe it was about seven or eight years ago we did have an employee who was killed in Memphis, Tenn. after they came in contact with a propeller," he said. "It was horrifying."

Based in Memphis, Tenn. Pinnacle Airlines Corp. has two operating subsidiaries — Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. and Colgan Air, Inc.

Yeah, those two PILOTS in Jefferson City, what were they?

F'ing Phil. what a tool.

That is a tragic accident but why would Reed make a comment like that? What an ahole. Wow... has he forgotten those two pilots already?

Don't forget about the crew in the Jetstream in HIB also. 17 PAX also didn't survive.

Latest resources

Back