Pinnacle family members sue NWA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
loverobot said:
Having been through my share of regional ground schools, I can say one thing is for sure: the most knowledgeble pilots don't teach ground schools. Ground school is a sanctuary for expecting mothers, recovering drunks, and most other forms of medical issues. I cringe at the idea of going back to several more weeks of ground school, and I nearly faint at the idea of having to teach one. One place I worked had INTERNS who didn't have enough flight time to fly the line teaching ground schools. The blind leading the nearly blind.

Face it. These guys were screwing around at 410 because they didn't even know enough that they didnt know. Whos fault is that? Pinnacles, and every other cost cutting regional airline out there.

Sue their asses off.

p.s. they lost thier sons, now you wish them to be broke as well. geeezzz.

Ground School is to teach book stuff. Indoc, Systems, Limitations. You don't need to be Chuck Yeager to be an effective ground school instructor. Ground school isn't intended to teach airmanship and common sense. Those atributes are a prerequisite to the professional pilot position. Plain and simple, these guys were just clueless. geeezzz!

Noone should be found at fault except the pilots in this case. I doubt GE ever tested the engines at 410, 30 degrees nose up and 75 KIAS. Of course they're gonna flame out and lock with no airflow through them and ITT's of 1250 degrees. The whole reason for the checklist having you maintain a min airspeed of 240 KIAS is to keep the engines rotating not for best glide. They didn't do that and the engines stopped rotating. Fastest they got was 235 KIAS for the windmill start, but mostly it was 170-200 KIAS. Never even got close to 300-330 KIAS for windmill start.

PILOT ERROR is all this was. Maybe Pinnacle training dept. has a little fault but not GE or Bombardier. They are going for the deepest pockets and what their lawyers are telling them. $$$$$$$$$$'s

loverobot said:
Face it. These guys were screwing around at 410 because they didn't even know enough that they didnt know. Whos fault is that?

You're trying to tell us that they didn't know the Captain sits in the left seat and the FO sits in the right seat????? It's pilot error. Period. There are only two people to blame for this crash.

The NTSB has determined that the turbofan jet engines (General Electric CF34-3B1) were operating at 600F above maximum redline temperature (1600F) at 41,000ft, and that the high speed compressor blades melted, which then dripped onto the low speed compressor. After the flameout, the low speed compressor became welded to the rest of the engine. Intially, it was thought that a core lock had occurred in the engines, however this more serious condition in fact occurred.

For all you that think it was core lock. Melted motors don't turn. No N2 is right.

GO AROUND said:
The NTSB has determined that the turbofan jet engines (General Electric CF34-3B1) were operating at 600F above maximum redline temperature (1600F) at 41,000ft, and that the high speed compressor blades melted, which then dripped onto the low speed compressor. After the flameout, the low speed compressor became welded to the rest of the engine. Intially, it was thought that a core lock had occurred in the engines, however this more serious condition in fact occurred.

For all you that think it was core lock. Melted motors don't turn. No N2 is right.
While I know what you are trying to say, there is no high speed/low speed compressor on a CF-34. Perhaps you meant high pressure/low pressure turbine?

I agree, that is the only place in the engine where you have the high pressure BEFORE the low pressure.

Does anyone think that they knew they had welded the engines?

That dastardly Brayton cycle again!

urflyingme?! said:
I agree, that is the only place in the engine where you have the high pressure BEFORE the low pressure.
Um, isn't the pressure at the outlet of the combustor higher than at the high pressure turbine? Work is extracted by expanding the combustion gases and working mass through the turbines.

urflyingme?! said:
Does anyone think that they knew they had welded the engines?
Hard to know what they knew, but the engine instrumentation showing a serious overtemp ITT might have given them a clue had they bothered to look at it between swapping seats, trips to the galley, overriding the stickshaker and chanting "4-1-0 it dude!".

Sorry, I meant to say high pressure turbine or compressor. Meaning on the crj it goes as follows:
N1 1 Stage Compressor
N2 14 stage compressor
Combustion Chamber
N2 High Pressure Turnine
N1 Low Pressure Turbine

So reading what the FAA said I'm thinking they meant the High Pressure Turbine melted onto the low pressure turbine?

urflyingme?! said:
Sorry, I meant to say high pressure turbine or compressor. Meaning on the crj it goes as follows:
N1 1 Stage Compressor
N2 14 stage compressor
Combustion Chamber
N2 High Pressure Turnine
N1 Low Pressure Turbine
Agreed, N1 is fan speed, but the inner part of the fan also functions as a single stage compressor feeding the engine core.

urflyingme?! said:
So reading what the FAA said I'm thinking they meant the High Pressure Turbine melted onto the low pressure turbine?
This sounds right. The temperature at the inlet to the high pressure turbine (combustor outlet, where heat is added to the working mass at constant pressure) is the highest encountered in the engine and is normally several hundred degrees higher than the melting point of the alloys used in the turbine blades, though the normal gas flow is arranged to provide cooling in the boundary layer of the turbine blades to prevent thermal failure. Our heroes neatly starved the engines of normal gas flow, and the cooling gas flow over the turbine blades was lost, resulting in melting and physical failure of the high pressure turbine blades. The low pressure turbine is downstream of that, so presumably the melted blade material ended up there.

That was a quote from an article. High speed = hi pressure, low speed = low pressure.

They melted the engine!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back