• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Continues Hiring and Lowering Standards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is wrong with airline pay, $100K is still a doable salary in mid-career. That is above 95% of the US income.

Rez, how could it be a pay cut if I never made that much?

pilotyip said:
What is wrong with airline pay, $100K is still a doable salary in mid-career. That is above 95% of the US income.

100k in my part of the country is like you making 65k in Motown.

Not quite the same...

.... and I don't make 100k.

A great opportunity for sure. [I said:
But at wages of unskilled labor due to unskilled labor usage.[/I] And it is our fault that it is going on. We love to fly. They know it. You want to fly our shinny machine young man...Yes Sir...well you have to Pay Your Dues....at this rate you'll be paying your dues for the rest of your lives.

Great post!! Very well put...I actually got misty reading this...

Hello, welcome to the 90's. $100k is NOT adequate (in most) parts of the country to compensate me for:

The significant (and expensive) training required for this job.
The long time away from home (missing holidays, bdays, etc)
The lack of stability.
Starting at the bottom of schedules and pay every time you start over.
The risk of loosing your medical.
The constant jeopardy checking events.
And all the other crud that happens on line.

IF I stick with this career for the rest of my working days, I will jump off a bridge if I never top $100k.

Turbo

Again the Dept of Labor puts $100K in the upper 5% of wages earners in the US, what is wrong with that number? If you do not make $100K as a pilot what job will give you that income?. I have never topped $100K, I own a house, an airplane and have decent retirement all set up. I have been living the dream since 1947.

pilotyip said:
Again the Dept of Labor puts $100K in the upper 5% of wages earners in the US, what is wrong with that number? If you do not make $100K as a pilot what job will give you that income?. I have never topped $100K, I own a house, an airplane and have decent retirement all set up. I have been living the dream since 1947.

You do realize that the division of wealth in this country is significantly skewed right? Last year, Fortune magazine listed the top billionaires in the world and this country has 335 of them last year. Do you know how many people are making minimum wage? THOSE are the folks they're comparing you to with that 5%. So yes, compared to the minimum wage earner, $100K is a crap load of money. So unless you take that money and live to the standards and lifestyle of someone that earns minimum wage, you're not really making a lot of money. And as far as your salary history, you made your money in a VERY different time period. Take this exerpt for example:

"Bill Levitt won a reputation as the young man to see for high-end housing along Long Island's North Shore -- the Gold Coast. Indeed, by the fall of 1933, the Levitts were growing rich building the 200-house North Strathmore development in Manhasset -- priced between $9,100 and $18,500. Through 1941, the Levitts built another 1,200 homes in Manhasset, Great Neck and Westchester County." -- Click for Story URL

I just did a quick check and the cheapest listing in Manhasset today is $765,000. Try that with a regional pilot's salaray. Even at $100K a year, you're not touching that town. Suffice to say, something isn't quite right.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back