• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Confirms move to MSP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On reflection, and having had a pretty civil discussion with XJHawk on the side, I will admit that my frustrations are misdirected. I have known this all along, but sometimes it's easier to take shots at the closest targets, and it takes being called out to refocus. I cannot blame the Pinnacle pilots for how they voted. You had two pretty ********************tey choices, and little support or room to work. Bills to pay, kids to feed, time and breathing room to look for a new job etc etc. I understand. The big picture and long term consequences are not ones primary focus when faced with those pressures.

The blame lies squarely with a sham bankruptcy code, thieves for management, an ineffective and unrepresentative union, a business model that is unsustainable, no solidarity in the pilot ranks and an economic environment that doesn't leave too many other options. F them all I say.

I will continue doing what I do, and building on my other business on the side. I strongly encourage every one of you to be doing the same. Power comes from not being beholden to anybody for your livelihood, and having the option of telling them where they can stick it when it is no longer worth doing for what they are offering.

Not on Facebook nor am a I a fan but...

+1

On reflection, and having had a pretty civil discussion with XJHawk on the side, I will admit that my frustrations are misdirected. I have known this all along, but sometimes it's easier to take shots at the closest targets, and it takes being called out to refocus. I cannot blame the Pinnacle pilots for how they voted. You had two pretty ********************tey choices, and little support or room to work. Bills to pay, kids to feed, time and breathing room to look for a new job etc etc. I understand. The big picture and long term consequences are not ones primary focus when faced with those pressures.

The blame lies squarely with a sham bankruptcy code, thieves for management, an ineffective and unrepresentative union, a business model that is unsustainable, no solidarity in the pilot ranks and an economic environment that doesn't leave too many other options. F them all I say.

I will continue doing what I do, and building on my other business on the side. I strongly encourage every one of you to be doing the same. Power comes from not being beholden to anybody for your livelihood, and having the option of telling them where they can stick it when it is no longer worth doing for what they are offering.

How true it is

Monster,
You being former XJ, and still closely connected to our family, I'm surprised by your statement. You were here during our last bk and so we're others very close to you. XJ/9E is now flying DC9 replacement jets for Regional Saab wages (both Capt and FO). You know we had no choice in either BK, NWA/DAL (aka NWA is sheepskin clothing) decided to put us here so they will make more money. It's silly to think Deltas profits were not helped by our cheap lift. It is very sad to think of people stuck down here at the regionals with a hired date of 2001 going to make 35k a year. We are all frustrated with Management (both our company and above) decision to kick around regionals over and over while they are making money hand over fist. I think that is what Hawk is saying. Congrats on getting out.

Yes you are right i was there during the first bk and back during the NWA strike in 98. Mesaba was flying replacement DC9 flying with the Avros over 15 years ago with new hires in the right seat making 16K! This is nothing new. I remember very well how it was and more importantly how it currently is. If you check my past posts you can see that I fully understand you guys had no choice and were handed a shat sandwich. I have never disputed that. You can also look back and see I was one of the first to call a duck a duck and point out this was all at the hands of DAL. I wish it was different. DAL made this business decision to handle their finances this way. The same thing that was done to both NWA and DAL pilots just a few years ago. BK's that striped contracts and much more. I don't like it any more than you but thats business and the best we can do is fight back with anything we can. However, that all being said, the words that I highlighted of Hawks are crap and childishly written.

Having been on both sides of the fence, helping guys with letters of recommendations, I hope as many great pilots from Mesaba come over as possible. Also by being on both sides I see that Mesaba/Pinnacle business is a drop in the DAL worldwide bucket. DAL is doing exactly what other majors like United have done to regionals for years, again nothing new. I don't like it or condone but..........I was going to let it lie but Hawk just did to DAL pilots that which he has chastised several other regional pilots for doing to him during your TA.....point the fingers of blame at fellow pilots.

As a DAL pilot I know that we are going to try hard to reduce regional outsource, get as much pay as possible and tighten the scope as much as we can. It isn't always perfect and everyone has thier opinion how we did but that is the goal and that was what was done. I expect it is as a DAL pilot and I expected it as a Mesaba pilot just the same. As a Mesaba pilot I knew that my flying existed because NWA existed, nothing less, I took what I could and ran with it and I would have never pointed a finger at the NWA pilots for our woes.

I hope everyone gets out to greener pastures.

Delta's scope rules that severly limit how a 50 seat AC can be used make them unprofitable for Delta - not the price of fuel. Under NW scope rules the 50 seat AC were very profitable for NW - and so was PCL. If you limited the 757 fleet to legs of one hour and nothing but hub turns it would not be profitable either. No swept wing jet would be.

Dalpa's intent in negotiating these scope rules was to make all 50 seat AC and operations unprofitable. Yes, Dalpa was a direct contributor to PCL's bankruptcy. Under these rediculous scope rules Delta had to find a way to shed its 50 seat fleet. If they still had NW's scope rules Delta would not have a reason to do that and PCL would not have entered BK.

Delta's competitors are slowly but steadily adding service to all the small markets Delta is retreating from due to these scope rules. In the end these scope rules are going to force Delta to shrink more as they continue to lose market share. Small market business travelers are leaving them for United and AMR and taking their international business with them.

Ummmmmm No. $91 a barrel oil and 50 seaters don't mix, especially when you throw them on cities that underperform. That's where Gulfsteam can come in and try it next. Can you please give some examples of where United will come in and take business away? The current plan is to add 70 and 76 seaters to some current 50 seat routes that are close to being profitable, and then 717s will cover many of the current 76 seat routes. Adding the "first class" option to some of those current 50 seat markets may just do the trick. That right there will rebuff United and their large fleet of CR2s and E145s. The old way of thinking was businessmen wanted "frequency." Instead, most want more room and if possible a lot more room on a mainline aircraft, like the incoming 717s. Ahhhhhh, it will be nice for the business people who pay most of the bills. United doesn't have a 100 seater for that particular market, and is still behind on the number of 70 and 76 seaters (the have some 66 seaters). Their massive amount of CR2s and E145s won't help them during this high oil.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Delta's scope rules that severly limit how a 50 seat AC can be used make them unprofitable for Delta - not the price of fuel. Under NW scope rules the 50 seat AC were very profitable for NW - and so was PCL.

Have you ever heard of the "CASM" acronym? Blaming the demise of the 50-seater on DALPA? You give us far too much credit. As a former-FlyI driver -- I can assure you the 50-seat RJ was doomed without mainline subsidy.

RT8VA and Twott Driver have hit it right on. Twott Driver and I hashed it out and made our peace. I understand the frustration and where it comes from. Great posts guys.

Have you ever heard of the "CASM" acronym? Blaming the demise of the 50-seater on DALPA? You give us far too much credit. As a former-FlyI driver -- I can assure you the 50-seat RJ was doomed without mainline subsidy.

Ever heard af RASM? What happens to CASM for an AC when you double the leg length? On the same 800 mile segment a CRJ's CASM was a few cents more than a DC-9's.

According to RA PCL had 60 segments over 600 miles at the time of the merger. They were the bulk of PCL's operation and were all profitable. They all over flew a hub. They made small high dollar business markets a two leg one connection trip. Now all those city pairs are a three leg,two connection trip on DAL. They are still only two legs on AMR or UAL. Which carrier will the business traveller take?

Some examples for Mr. Lee are jax-pwm, far-mht, gso-bis, chs-lnk, cae-Bgm. Just about anything from the northeast or southeast to the midwest is now three legs on DAL because of DALPA's scope rules for 50 AC. These are segments that will never be able to support anything bigger than a 50 seat AC.

That is revenue that has left DAL and gone to AMR and UAL. It was DALPA that insisted on these rules that prohibit long range 50 seat AC use. Not management. Management knew exactly the revenue they were giving up so they must have gotten something else they valued more. Management also knew that those rules would turn the PCL operation unprofitable. The CASM flown by 50 seat AC increased over 50% and they were moved to routes that made no sense. They were moved from routes like MSP-PWM,BGR,MHT to essential airservice markets out of MSP.

I see your point. Do you think the other legacies are operating 50-seaters at a profit?

Independence Air, with 87 50-seaters and 12 A319's, and with no scope clause to restrict stage-length, fell flat on it's face. Why was this?

Last edited:
Ever heard af RASM? What happens to CASM for an AC when you double the leg length? On the same 800 mile segment a CRJ's CASM was a few cents more than a DC-9's.

According to RA PCL had 60 segments over 600 miles at the time of the merger. They were the bulk of PCL's operation and were all profitable. They all over flew a hub. They made small high dollar business markets a two leg one connection trip. Now all those city pairs are a three leg,two connection trip on DAL. They are still only two legs on AMR or UAL. Which carrier will the business traveller take?

Some examples for Mr. Lee are jax-pwm, far-mht, gso-bis, chs-lnk, cae-Bgm. Just about anything from the northeast or southeast to the midwest is now three legs on DAL because of DALPA's scope rules for 50 AC. These are segments that will never be able to support anything bigger than a 50 seat AC.

That is revenue that has left DAL and gone to AMR and UAL. It was DALPA that insisted on these rules that prohibit long range 50 seat AC use. Not management. Management knew exactly the revenue they were giving up so they must have gotten something else they valued more. Management also knew that those rules would turn the PCL operation unprofitable. The CASM flown by 50 seat AC increased over 50% and they were moved to routes that made no sense. They were moved from routes like MSP-PWM,BGR,MHT to essential airservice markets out of MSP.

If the routes are that profitable, they might put a CR7 or a CR9 on it coming up here. The 50 seaters probably couldn't make a profit on those with high gas. Was gas that high before the merger?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I see your point. Do you think the other legacies are operating 50-seaters at a profit?

Independence Air, with 87 50-seaters and 12 A319's, and with no scope clause to restrict stage-length, fell flat on it's face. Why was this?

They went head to head against United and when they wrote up their business plan oil was about $30bbl, it promptly went to near $100. They started with $200 million of which they spent about $100 million on a marketing campaign which had no appreciable effect. And they were paying leases on a bunch of idle dojets.

Expressjet was doing just fine with their branded operation until SKYW cut the legs out from under them, r.e. their CAL contract.

Legacies no longer have the aircraft to replace (or compete with) the RJ. Especially an operation starting with near a billion and a few hundred 90 seat aircraft.

What Delta did with Pinnacle has everything to do with Skyw Inc. carrying 20 -25% of their passengers every day. Delta can't afford that many eggs in one basket, lest the feed start dictating the terms of the contract.

Latest resources

Back