• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Capt. has Awesome overnight!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the public knew that a 19-year-old was an FO, many would probably object. Not that they're not able to fly safe - but it's like walking into the surgery room and seeing a 19-year-old doctor. I'm sure they'd be able, but there is a confidence factor that goes beyond accident statistics.

Oh pleaaaaaassseee! Don't even try to comapre pilots' qualifications and skills to a surgeon's. You can't even get in to a Medical School without a 4-year degree and nothing but A+s in 'solid' (unlike backpaking, golf, etc., courses that you can for Aviation degrees). After the 4-year degree, then you compete with an amazing number of people to get in to a Medical School. Afte four years of studying (nothing like few months of aviation training), you get a degree. A further one year of residency and now you're qualified to work as a doctor. To become a surgeon, you need another four to seven years of additional training/schooling.

To become an airline pilot; you can go to ATP, get everything in six months, and within a year, you can become an airline pilot. I know lot of us think of 'ourselves' as highly qualified, but compared to surgeons...well, there's no comparison. No college degree needed to get your Commercial/Instrument/ATP licenses.

Tell me the last time you heard a pilot became a surgeon while working for an airline pilot. I can give you many examples where surgeons/doctors became successful pilots, own and fly their own jets, and even flew for airlines while working as surgeons.

Fire away.

But, please, please, please, do not comapare yourselves to surgeons.

Bunny

Or you can spend $5500 on a 737 type and get hired by SWA. Give the PFT stuff a rest.....GEEESH

Very well said!

Oh no, but we can't really 'touch' when it comes to major airlines, can we? Otherwise, almost everyone at SWA is PTF, aren't they?

Splitbar, you used to write decent posts, what happend?

Oh pleaaaaaassseee! Don't even try to comapre pilots' qualifications and skills to a surgeon's. You can't even get in to a Medical School without a 4-year degree and nothing but A+s in 'solid' (unlike backpaking, golf, etc., courses that you can for Aviation degrees). After the 4-year degree, then you compete with an amazing number of people to get in to a Medical School. Afte four years of studying (nothing like few months of aviation training), you get a degree. A further one year of residency and now you're qualified to work as a doctor. To become a surgeon, you need another four to seven years of additional training/schooling.

To become an airline pilot; you can go to ATP, get everything in six months, and within a year, you can become an airline pilot. I know lot of us think of 'ourselves' as highly qualified, but compared to surgeons...well, there's no comparison. No college degree needed to get your Commercial/Instrument/ATP licenses.

Tell me the last time you heard a pilot became a surgeon while working for an airline pilot. I can give you many examples where surgeons/doctors became successful pilots, own and fly their own jets, and even flew for airlines while working as surgeons.

Fire away.

But, please, please, please, do not comapare yourselves to surgeons.

Bunny

Maybe because I said it was the "public" that would have a problem with it. I even said that most of them fly fine - the problem is that the public always freaks out when they see the pimple faced 20-year-old getting into the cockpit of a controlled rocket when they have no control over it.

The fact that the media runs with it every chance they can means they love to push that idea also

Perhaps.....

However, how you act and respond can make us look bad too..... no?

Sorry I actually got mad that somebody's dumb actions make you and me both look bad as a profession.

"So did you hear about that pilot who . . . . what do you think of him? Are you like that? Do you know him . . . "

So it goes. I guess I shouldn't get mad about petty stuff like that, right?

This is all my fault! Well according to some people on here. I also take blame for the PNCL flight and lexington flight as well. Let me explain!

Bradford was a student of mine at GIA

Jesse from PNCL flight that crashed was my captain at one time!
Peter, the FO was also my student at GIA

Jim, FO on the Lexington crash was my instructor at
GIA.

There you have it! Wow there is going to be alot more bad things happening because i instructed over 1,500 pilots that came though GIA and over 400 of them were hiered at PNCL.

Shut up with all the crap about how its GIA fault because years after they left something happend. Funny thing is never had an accident at GIA so it must be the training or lack of training at the other airlines!

Didn't the flight school at Gulfstream get shut down by the FAA due to a midair collision and a couple other reasons?

Didn't the flight school at Gulfstream get shut down by the FAA due to a midair collision and a couple other reasons?

No, the owner shut it down because it wasn't producing a profit in the first place, and the resultant liability concerns after the collision were the last straw. He had been talking about closing it down for years before that because it never made any money for him. There were never problems with the FAA.

Sorry I actually got mad that somebody's dumb actions make you and me both look bad as a profession.

Of course you'd never do anything stupid... and if you did.... you'd expect the rest of us to step far far away from you....

And who decides what is stupid.... we? You? Them?

"So did you hear about that pilot who . . . . what do you think of him? Are you like that? Do you know him . . . "

There are over 75,000 pilots in the US. Do you think we are all perfect? Some cheat on their spouses. Some beat their kids. Some do coke. Some contemplate suicide. Some do commit suicide. Some drink too much.

Do you have the ability talk maturely and professionally to someone who asks? I think you do. Learn about HIMS programs and how they work to protect the profession, the company, the passengers and the public... These programs work.

No you shouldn't. Be the professional you expect him to have been... that is all you can do...

This is all my fault! Well according to some people on here. I also take blame for the PNCL flight and lexington flight as well. Let me explain!

Bradford was a student of mine at GIA

Jesse from PNCL flight that crashed was my captain at one time!
And didn't know jack squat about high altitude aerodynamics, had ZERO business being in the left seat of that aircraft, and took the F/O (who shouldn't have been in the right seat, either) with him.

Peter, the FO was also my student at GIA
Who was a good kid, was trying very hard, but lacked any real situational awareness or understanding of high altitude aerodynamics either.

I know, he was my F/O on a 3-day about 3 weeks before the accident happened. VERY nice kid, didn't deserve to get killed out of his ignorance, which is why the CAPTAIN is SUPPOSED to know WTF he's doing.

Jim, FO on the Lexington crash was my instructor at
GIA.
Another lack of S.A. accident. I'm sensing a pattern here... (no, I don't really think so, you're just picking some easy targets)

There you have it! Wow there is going to be alot more bad things happening because i instructed over 1,500 pilots that came though GIA and over 400 of them were hiered at PNCL.
Of all the GIA people I flew with, about half a dozen were absolutely STELLAR, knew their systems, knew the procedures, flew by the book, and had decent situational awareness.

The majority of them were "OK", but lacked any real understanding of what the "big picture" was until they had about 500 hours or so in the airplane (about 6 months after O.E.).

A few of them had no business being on the forward side of the flight deck door. ZERO. ZILCH. That's what happens when you put a 300-400 hour wunderkid with SJS in an airliner doing 400 kts coming into the New York airspace. Better if they just shut up and hold the chart most of the time until they catch up with the airplane.

The problem with 19 year old F/O's and 24 year old CA's is that most of them lack the maturity to be left alone unsupervised with a $24 Million aircraft and 50-90 people's lives in their hands. Some are OK, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Then people wonder why they do so much stupid crap on the overnights... I can think of easily half a dozen young PCL pilots who have been canned for stupid hotel or overnight-related antics, some even without a F/A involved. Craziness... :rolleyes:

Shut up with all the crap about how its GIA fault because years after they left something happend. Funny thing is never had an accident at GIA so it must be the training or lack of training at the other airlines!
No, it's not GIA's fault. It's their own fault for not knowing what they don't know and the company's fault for not teaching them better and no one's fault at all that a 24 year old in this country is about as mature as a college junior in Europe who just became old enough to drink.

Last edited:

Dork. Let me know if this Pinnacle pilots drunken blair witch project really makes you loose sleep at night a week from now, or if you were just being a drama queen.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back