• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle at it again???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, why would they head to MEM when Huntsville is right off the nose? Any knowledge on this topic? Anybody want to fill the rest of us in on what happened? Hurry before the finger pointing begins.

I haven't seen or heard of anyone who knows what was wrong with this airplane but if it was not a time critical issue to get the airplane on the ground why wouldn't you spend an extra 10 minutes airborne to get the airplane to an airport where your passengers had travel options and the plane could get fixed?

I haven't seen or heard of anyone who knows what was wrong with this airplane but if it was not a time critical issue to get the airplane on the ground why wouldn't you spend an extra 10 minutes airborne to get the airplane to an airport where your passengers had travel options and the plane could get fixed?

Uh, the passengers were going to Huntsville, which was practically under them when they diverted. Maintenance is another story, but I'd be real happy with an airline that inconvenienced the hell out of me so they could get their airplane worked on quicker....:angryfire Can't bag the crew if that was the decision made by dispatch. Unless it was something flight critical, in which case what happened to decision making. The world may never know on any account.

At least we know if Mesa had been operating the flight they still would have sucked.:D

Uh, the passengers were going to Huntsville, which was practically under them when they diverted. Maintenance is another story, but I'd be real happy with an airline that inconvenienced the hell out of me so they could get their airplane worked on quicker....:angryfire Can't bag the crew if that was the decision made by dispatch. Unless it was something flight critical, in which case what happened to decision making. The world may never know on any account.

At least we know if Mesa had been operating the flight they still would have sucked.:D

Thanks OPECJet, I thought that was a given but sometimes the one can not see the obvious when it's written right in front of their eyes.

Still no solid answer as to way or what happen. Wait, let me look under the rug.......

From the web site THE AVIATION HERALD:
Incident: Pinnacle CRJ2 near Memphis on Jun 11th 2009, severe turbulence and mechanical problems
By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Jun 11th 2009 17:35Z, last updated Thursday, Jun 11th 2009 17:35Z
A Pinnacle Airlines Canadair CRJ-200 on behalf of Northwest Airlines, flight 9E-2919/NW-2919 from Detroit,MI to Huntsville,AL (USA) with 36 passengers and 3 crew, was enroute at FL320 about one hour into the flight, when the airplane hit severe turbulence and subsequently experienced some unspecified mechanical problems. The crew declared emergency and diverted to Memphis,TN, where the airplane landed safely about 50 minutes after the turbulence encounter. No injuries were reported.

So, I ask, how far away was Huntsville if they flew for 50 minutes after the rough ride was encountered? I am sure it was a lot closer.

Last edited:
I dunno, but a severe turbulence write-up grounds the bird. if your gonna ground it might as well do it at a MX base versus getting the 'ol "it will be fixed in an hour just wait at the gate" for 5 straight hours. Knowing the company, sometimes it is best to do things in YOUR best interest and not the pax. The pax can still get from MEM to HSV, sitting with a broke bird you go nowhere.

Once the pilot declares an emergency, the dispatcher becomes a resource, not a decision maker! It's all PIC, until the Emergency is over.

There is not enough information available to make independent, arm-chair quarterback criticisms. Stay tuned, the truth will be out shortly, and maybe we can all learn something from it.

The above poster is correct. Once there is a severe turbulence report and write-up, once landed, the airplane is grounded until there is an inspection. I've seem them take as little as 5 minutes, but sometimes longer, looking for wrinkling or buckling at critical areas. Also, they may be a download of the Flight Data Recorder that is required. That airplane is certified to Transport Category Standards and it is a tank.

Depending on the situation, Memphis may have been a better option from an operational perspective, but rest assured, the FAA will be the final judge of that, after all things are considered! It will depend on the emergency. A fire or something immediately threatening to life or damage, yes, nearest airport in point and time. Something less threatening, well you can get some leadway on those but you may have to justify the decision.

Last edited:

Ummm...lets see. Divert to MEM, grab the spare plan, continue flight to HSV with the DTW-HSV passengers, get to HSV, pick up HSV-DTW passengers and continue flight to DTW albeit an hour or two late. Plane gets fixed in MEM, all pax get where they wanted to go. Looked like a good plan to me.

Ummm...lets see. Divert to MEM, grab the spare plan, continue flight to HSV with the DTW-HSV passengers, get to HSV, pick up HSV-DTW passengers and continue flight to DTW albeit an hour or two late. Plane gets fixed in MEM, all pax get where they wanted to go. Looked like a good plan to me.

Its a great plan: conservative....safe.....

It will also enhance the DTW Base Manager's career. When he tries to terminate the pilot for poor judgement or some other trumped up charge...

Nope, copied the article and posted it to find out more. That's not finger pointing. I could, but won't and didn't. So if you don't have any answers then put a cork in it. If ya do then do tell. This company certainly doesn't have the best track record lately when it comes to safety.
Must not have been an emergency if they can divert to MEM instead of heading to Huntsville.
Still not a soul has had any info worth discussing.

If you weren't there, STFU.

I agree. I am guessing they were instructed to divert to MEM by dispatch. Dispatch does have Operational Control as does the Captain. If Dispatch instructed the PIC to go to MEM, they would of had to have a real good reason to disreagard that. Good job by the crew.

Its a great plan: conservative....safe.....

It will also enhance the DTW Base Manager's career. When he tries to terminate the pilot for poor judgement or some other trumped up charge...

I think you mean the jack as* in msp that is the base manager...........

Latest resources

Back