• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle at it again???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dunno, but a severe turbulence write-up grounds the bird. if your gonna ground it might as well do it at a MX base versus getting the 'ol "it will be fixed in an hour just wait at the gate" for 5 straight hours. Knowing the company, sometimes it is best to do things in YOUR best interest and not the pax. The pax can still get from MEM to HSV, sitting with a broke bird you go nowhere.

I'll buy that thought process......

If you weren't there, STFU.
Were you?
No I wasn't, but I do wear the "been there, done that" badge and I am sure you haven't based on your profile. Uh, lack of........so you can sit the F*&K down.

That's gotta be the first nice thing I've ever seen SEVEN say about a 9E crew. Just wait until it comes out that they didn't follow the FOM on thunderstorm avoidance and the crew came from Gulfstream. Then he'll be singing a different tune.

It will also enhance the DTW Base Manager's career. When he tries to terminate the pilot for poor judgement or some other trumped up charge...

That's the Pinnacle way!

FWIW you don't actually have to penetrate the thunderstorm to have your arse handed to you. Often times the "soft" spots on the radar either side of it or in between cells aren't so much.

I agree. I am guessing they were instructed to divert to MEM by dispatch. Dispatch does have Operational Control as does the Captain. If Dispatch instructed the PIC to go to MEM, they would of had to have a real good reason to disreagard that. Good job by the crew.

You could be right. The FAA will weigh in on whether the action taken was prudent and reasonable under the circumstances in regards to what happened after the Emergency was declared.

Did you know? On a given flight, depending on circumstances, an Emergency can be declared by the PIC, ATC, or even a dispatcher!

FWIW you don't actually have to penetrate the thunderstorm to have your arse handed to you. Often times the "soft" spots on the radar either side of it or in between cells aren't so much.

Yes, you are correct. Some of the worst turbulence I have been in is clear air but in the proximity of a building Thunderstorm. If there is lifting action during a storm build up, it can turn into the day all Hell broke loose. Denver area is notorious for this. Watch out for those Udder shaped clouds!

Latest resources

Back