• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Class Envy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think they know if its lowered too far it will be a certain death sentence for the company. They should be reminded vigorously by all of us that Pinnacle could not get people to show up for new hire class before all this started.

Here are some more rumors that may have a significant impact on our immediate future.

*That a chief Pilot (DW) once said that if we lost all the saabs, including the Colgan ones we would not have to furlough as we are that short on pilots. I think this is referencing that we could not fill new hire classes and the typical loss rate of 250-300 pilots a year is to be expected. If we are lucky, the 9E 900's will be renegotiated and we will keep them, leaving only the Q's leaving will result in furloughs. But I think that given the fact that in bankruptcy the attrition goes up-just maybe we will not furlough.

**the above scenario does not take into account the number of 200's Delta might want to park when they renegotiate those contracts. Or maybe even some or all 900 loses would truly blow
all part of the coming 2012 hiring boom, a time where the college degree box will be removed from the application process.

all part of the coming 2012 hiring boom, a time where the college degree box will be removed from the application process.

Now that I have my 1k TPIC, most of the airlines that are hiring don't want it, so it makes sense that when I get done with my 4 year degree, most of the airlines will remove that requirement. In fact, they will probably discourage it because they think you are too smart and will want too much money.

I'll give it you man, you are one persistant person. Where it is needed almost everywhere now, I see it as being a "discriminating factor" for the top tier carriers in a few years. Just my thoughts

I'll give it you man, you are one persistant person. Where it is needed almost everywhere now, I see it as being a "discriminating factor" for the top tier carriers in a few years. Just my thoughts

That's just sad... pilots saying that a college degree is actually a discriminating factor. GMAB. You want to be called a professional, paid like a professional, and treated like a professional, then go make a name for yourself, educate yourself, and get a college degree. Otherwise, be at the same level of respect and treatment (and pay - in my opinion) as high school graduates.

That's just sad... pilots saying that a college degree is actually a discriminating factor. GMAB. You want to be called a professional, paid like a professional, and treated like a professional, then go make a name for yourself, educate yourself, and get a college degree. Otherwise, be at the same level of respect and treatment (and pay - in my opinion) as high school graduates.

If the job market does get really tight, maybe they will drop the college requirement.

Did you get hired at Spirit? Your profile now says A319/A320. No more PNCL days for you?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Otherwise, be at the same level of respect and treatment (and pay - in my opinion) as high school graduates.
yes high grads should be banned from even posting on FI, after all they are so low life. A college degree proves nothing, in fact you can get one without ever going to class, you can get one in useless subject area, and you can graduate with no marketable skills. And no matter how useless you get to check the box in the lower left corner that you have "clolgee dgere". However being accpeted to a major college on campus and taking a hard core subject matter, that is a different story.

I actually agree. I got my degree in graphic design so I would have something to fall back on. Everyone I have spoken to since graduation is either working in a non related field along side HS grads or trying to get free lance work, while they live in their parents basement. (Sort of like most regional fos)

While I loved my college days. I don't feel it means much. Yeah I know people say it proves you were able to accomplish something, but like someone said in an earlier post, the vast majority of "majors" people chose to study are pretty much useless. I think finance, pre-med/law, engineering, and some of the innovative science programs are the exceptions. My cousin was a history major, he sells used cars. I can probably learn just as much as him by watching a week of the Discovery channel.

When my kids get older, I think I would encourage them to pick a technology school or other specialized training that results in an actual skill they can market. That is unless they choose the professions I listed above.

I think the airlines will get to the point where they will drop the college degree. In fact I know of people with out it at most of the majors today, I even know one with only a GED! Of course they all knew someone who was able to help them get hired.

My 2cents fwiw.

Last edited:
I actually agree. I got my degree in graphic design so I would have something to fall back on. Everyone I have spoken to since graduation is either working in a non related field along side HS grads or trying to get free lance work, while they live in their parents basement. (Sort of like most regional fos)

While I loved my college days. I don't feel it means much. Yeah I know people say it proves you were able to accomplish something, but like someone said in an earlier post, the vast majority of "majors" people chose to study are pretty much useless. I think finance, pre-med/law, engineering, and some of the innovative science programs are the exceptions. My cousin was a history major, he sells used cars. I can probably learn just as much as him by watching a week of the Discovery channel.

When my kids get older, I think I would encourage them to pick a technology school or other specialized training that results in an actual skill they can market. That is unless they choose the professions I listed above.

I think the airlines will get to the point where they will drop the college degree. In fact I know of people with out it at most of the majors today, I even know one with only a GED! Of course they all knew someone who was able to help them get hired.

My 2cents fwiw.
Thank you, I think you get it. In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative."

Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

In a hundred different ways, we have slowly marginalized an entire category of critical professions, reshaping our expectations of a "good job" into something that no longer looks like work. A few years from now, an hour with a good plumber if you can find one is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist. At which point we'll all be in need of both.

My brother-in law, owns a Muffler Shop, non-college graduate, two year automotive vo-tech grad, ) lives in a neighborhood with Doctors, Lawyers. In addition, other professionals because he makes over $200K per year. Sends his kids to private schools, lots of vacations, etc. You fly airplanes because you like to fly airplanes, if you want to make money go to a trade school out of high school and run a muffler shop.

While I do have a college degree, I think overall most of them are not really worth the expenditure other than as a "work permit".

The vast majority of people who pound the college drum are really just trying to rationalize to themselves that they made a wise decision going tens of thousands in debt in order to take courses for which they no longer member nor can apply the content.

It is like getting a type rating, never flying the airplane, and then waiting twenty years. Are you really qualified in that airplane? Not really.

Most of the bluster is people who have very little social leverage looking for a reason - any reason - to feel juuuust a little better than someone else.

The other really humorous part is that college is just a consumer product. Colleges have long since stopped being truly intellectually rigorous, having substituted instead mind-softening indoctrination and edutainment with low intellectual nutritional value.

I have lost count of the times that I have seen college graduates slaughter English, punctuation, and math in common use. The typical college grad-braggart is like an intellectual Al Bundy - endlessly trying to trade on high school football glory, even though he is now a balding shoe salesman with a paunchy gut.

If you can no longer throw the football that far, and if you can no longer run that fast, perhaps you should maintain a dignified silence on the topic.

Likewise, if you could not produce a test score in the upper 80th percentile on the subject matter comprising your degree, then you are that same fat, aging athlete in the intellectual sense.

The majority of college programs right now are overpriced social-status products. The fact that nearly anyone can get a four year degree right now should remove all doubt. It's like getting a part 91 type rating in a transport category jet through a university aviation program. It may legally be the same type that a real pic gets, but everyone knows that effectively, it is not.

If we, as a society, insist on making our young people spend four whole years sequestered away from true personal productivity, busying themselves with filling out paperwork masquerading as educational accomplishment, so be it.

But the least we can do is charge them a fair price for such a product, rather than the current cost paradigm that creates years of servitude to the lending industry.

Google the phrase "college debt bubble" to see what is in store for us next.

Last edited:
Flyer 1015:

It is interesting to see you admit that you regard yourself as being only as good as your college degree. Come on man, don't get so down on yourself.

Latest resources

Back