Pinnacle Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Detroitpilot22

It seems like everyone always bashes this airline becuase they don't have anything better to do.
For everyone that is interested in working here, here is some fact and fiction about this place that might make you think differently about this place.

1 - People say that We are losing 30 pilots a month becuase everyone is quitting. This is not true at all. We are losing about 10 to 20 a month because they are getting hired at majors, or fractionals like net jets.

2 - Pay - For captains it is descent, could be improved. For F/O's, it is not good, but our union is trying hard to make it better.

3. Quality of life - If you live in base it is excellent. The average days off for august lines is close to 17. If you do not live in base, at times it can be challenging. You have the ability to try and drop and swap trips to get a better commute. Scheduling can be a pain when we are short,, but it is another thing that our union is working hard to fix.

4. Pay for training pilots. I am not one of them, but I can tell you that our check airmen and sim instructors are good at seeing if everyone is ready, not just the low time people. If you aren't good in class and in the sim, you wash out. I think it is important to note that other regionals hire low time pilots too.

5. The northwest RFP and our flying up for bid. Those of you who think that this airline is going to lose 124 jets in one week and everyone get furloughed are crazy. Granted there is a real possibility that we might lose some airplanes, maybe to mesaba who knows but if there is one thing I know about our management, it is that they aren't just going to let this company crumble. In our negotiations with NWA, we are looking for relief to be able to fly with other airlines so there is possiblity to put our eggs in more than one basket. Will we get 70 seat aircraft for NWA? Who knows, its a possiblity, but look for this place to fly for more than just the red tail in the future.

I am not saying this is the greatest place in the world to work, but it is not what some people say it is and it is a place that will get you to a major quicker than some other airlines.
Hopefully this answered some questions for some people.

Hello,
Is it easy to get MSP out of training? And what is the upgrade looking like these days? Also, about how many years have the “Guys that are getting hired by the Majors/etc” been at Pinnacle?

Thanks

one reason i bash this airline is this...today, about 8:00am, on Indy center, i heard a Pinnacle flight requesting FL410. they were given FL410 by center.

forgive me if i'm incorrect, but didn't two of your guys learn a terrible lesson by doing that? especially trying to get CRJ200 to that altitude in the summer. NOT smart!!!

...the more you know!

Did you hear "Pinnacle xxxx" request FL410, or "Flagship xxxx" request FL410?

"Pinnacle" is a charter company flying Lears & other aircraft that can easily do 410 and above, while "Flagship" is Pinnacle Airlines flying CL65s that can't do anywhere near that, especially full and/or ISA+.

I have a suggestion: why don't we all bash Air Tahiti Nui instead? They only have two airplanes, fly to only two cities and speak French.

Yknot said:
one reason i bash this airline is this...today, about 8:00am, on Indy center, i heard a Pinnacle flight requesting FL410. they were given FL410 by center.

forgive me if i'm incorrect, but didn't two of your guys learn a terrible lesson by doing that? especially trying to get CRJ200 to that altitude in the summer. NOT smart!!!

We are restricted to 37000, there is no way that happened and you are making it up.

Last edited:
Detroitpilot22 said:
1 - People say that We are losing 30 pilots a month becuase everyone is quitting. This is not true at all. We are losing about 10 to 20 a month because they are getting hired at majors, or fractionals like net jets.

Your information is incorrect. We lost 25% of our FOs last year. Since last year we have averaged a loss of 9 Captains a month and 20 FOs. ALPA recently did an audit at our request to determine where all these FOs were going. The results showed that a very small number of them went to Fractionals, LCCs, or Majors. Most of them left for other regionals or left aviation all together. We do have Captains leaving for those "good" jobs, but they only account for less than a third of our attrition. Most of our attrition is due to FOs leaving to go to other regionals or other careers.

2 - Pay - For captains it is descent, could be improved. For F/O's, it is not good, but our union is trying hard to make it better.

Your definition of decent is a lot different than mine. As for FO pay, it isn't just "not good," it's downright insulting. You're certainly correct that we are working hard to fix it, but that takes time. Don't count on a quick new contract.

3. Quality of life - If you live in base it is excellent. The average days off for august lines is close to 17. If you do not live in base, at times it can be challenging. You have the ability to try and drop and swap trips to get a better commute. Scheduling can be a pain when we are short,, but it is another thing that our union is working hard to fix.

You are painting a much rosier picture than reality. I will agree that schedules aren't that bad for pilots that live in base, but the overwhelming majority of our pilots commute, especially in DTW. For those pilots, these schedules are horrible. Most trips require a commute up the night before and commute home the morning after. That equals a lot of extra hotel rooms, and a lot of time lost at home. Trip drops and swaps are rarely approved. Staffing is always at rock-bottom levels. Has been for at least the last 3 years that I can remember.

5. The northwest RFP and our flying up for bid. Those of you who think that this airline is going to lose 124 jets in one week and everyone get furloughed are crazy. Granted there is a real possibility that we might lose some airplanes, maybe to mesaba who knows but if there is one thing I know about our management, it is that they aren't just going to let this company crumble. In our negotiations with NWA, we are looking for relief to be able to fly with other airlines so there is possiblity to put our eggs in more than one basket. Will we get 70 seat aircraft for NWA? Who knows, its a possiblity, but look for this place to fly for more than just the red tail in the future.

I agree with most of what you say here. As bad as this place is, it's still a relatively stable job. Attrition guarantees that you'll have lots of people hired below you on the seniority list really quickly. That equals job security. I wouldn't worry about a furlough here. Think about it like this: last October we lost 15 airplanes and were still understaffed and resumes hiring shortly after. As for the 70-seat flying, I think that ship has sailed with NWA, but it's always a possibility with a different airline partner. Unfortunately, our management will have a hard time getting any new business until they settle our contract. That is looking less and less likely to happen anytime soon.

I am not saying this is the greatest place in the world to work, but it is not what some people say it is and it is a place that will get you to a major quicker than some other airlines.
Hopefully this answered some questions for some people.

You're correct that Pinnacle isn't the absolute worst place to work, but it's certainly near the bottom of 121 airlines. The only reason to really come here is if you live in one of our domiciles. You can find an upgrade just as quick at several other airlines, and everywhere except Mesa has a better payscale and work rules. If you live (or want to live) in DTW, MSP, or MEM, then Pinnacle would probably be a good choice for you. If not, then you'll probably be very unhappy here and turn into a grumpy jerk like me. :D

Last edited:
flyboyike said:
I have a suggestion: why don't we all bash Air Tahiti Nui instead? They only have two airplanes, fly to only two cities and speak French.

Having flown on Air Tah-sh*tty recently, I'd be happy to bash that airline. Terrible service, arm rests that don't go up, and no proffessional courtesy, 2 hours to turn a plane...

DenverCrashpad said:
Having flown on Air Tah-sh*tty recently, I'd be happy to bash that airline. Terrible service, arm rests that don't go up, and no proffessional courtesy, 2 hours to turn a plane...

Ah, yes, and what about that idiotic color scheme? Like totally flower children-like.

http://p.airliners.net/photos/middle/0/3/4/1081430.jpg

Latest resources

Back