• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The degree"

350DRIVER said:
I think yip is trying to get guys to think outside of the box, I was in disagreement with him on this issue for a long time due to my personal opinions and beliefs, unfortunately they had nothing to do with the reality of getting hired.

Pilots have been hired without the degree and will continue to be hired without one.
No one has said that being hired without the degree is impossible. E.g., once more, the names of pilots I read in Career Pilot magazine's "Congratulations, FAPA Pilots," monthly box who had one or multiple years of college without earning the degree, along with the names of those who had the degree and more. Here again, there are always exceptions.

However, wouldn't it be "prudent," as old George Bush used to say, to try to be the rule instead of the exception? Wouldn't it be prudent to have the odds with you and not against you? Try betting against the odds in Vegas.

One point I've distilled from Yip's degree-alternative campaign is his belief that a person can get a good flying job without a degree or even college. But, why settle only for "good" when with the degree you have a shot at the best jobs and all jobs?? In other words, be on an equal footing with your competition. Get the degree.

Last edited:
BornAgainPagan said:
Sounds like someone feels threatened
YAAAAAWN, oh yes, the same old boring knee-jerk resopnse ... "you must be threatened" Can't think of anything intelligent to say? Play the "threatened" card.

I guess it was predictable that you'd trot out that tired old saw. oh well.

Why not, instead of attacking me personally, address what I said?

Can't do it? Can't defend Woman's studies as a legitimate academic discipline?
Play the "threatened" card" and hope noone notices you haven't made an argument

Can't show that Andrea Dworkin* isn't a raving lunatic?

Play the "threatened" card" and hope noone notices you haven't made an argument.

Can't explain why you ought to get a college degree for spending 4 years reading the misandry spewed by Andrea Dworkin, Katherine Mckinnon, Kate Millett, and thier Ilk?

Well then, by all means, play the "threatened" card and hope than no-one notices you haven't made an argument.

Let me ask you something: Doesn't it embarrass you to have to depend on such transparent, rote responses to anyone who disagrees with you? "you must be threatened" is on the same intellectual plane as "I know you are, what am I" or other such infantile responses. If that was the best I could come up with, I'd just keep my mouth shut.

For now I'll forget the hypocrisy of your attacking the person in an attempt to bolster your hollow words....... words to live by, eh pagan? How quickly you forget your own condemnation of mindless ad-hominen attack.

* For those of you who are unfamilliar with Andrea Dworkin, she is a virulently anti-male author. Her works center around the central theme that intercourse equals rape and rape equals murder, thus marriage is instutionalized murder. No really, I'm not making this up, nor exaggerating it, this is practicaly verbatim what she writes. She is in fact a deranged psychopath. Here's to "women's studies" !!!

Thanks 350

My point exactly, I am not saying the non-degree route it is right for everyone, but it does work. Quality flight will get you a good job. I do not say anyone supporting the college route is wrong, I just exercise my right to disagree. And normally disagree by posting exceptions to the rule, which worked out. But the pro-college crowd likes to ignore those because they do not fit the single path to success route they advocate.

Distortion Bobby

You are distorting my words again, I am not against getting the degree, and I have an admitted that the degree may open doors. But you can get a degree while flying full time and building quality flight time, but you can not build quality flight time while going to school full time. It is a matter of timing, if you want to be a pilot, fly airplanes. TJ PIC gets you the job. The pilots who have quality PIC will get good jobs in the next hiring boom starting in June of 2007.

Last edited:
Beat up enough?

I can not find much glue, but lots of Horse Sh*t, and I have been feeding the horse a regular diet. If it wiggels I will feed it.

PilotYIP, is your life so boring that you have run out of people to argue with in other threads and now have resorted to starting your own threads to argue in???

Sshheesshh Man, get a friggin' hobby already!

pilotyip said:
Quality flight will get you a good job. I do not say anyone supporting the college route is wrong, I just exercise my right to disagree. And normally disagree by posting exceptions to the rule, which worked out. But the pro-college crowd likes to ignore those because they do not fit the single path to success route they advocate.
6500TT, 6000 PIC, 4000+Turbine PIC, 2500+ Jet PIC, 4 types, 4yr degree, working on MBA. Apps in with all Legacy carriers(and SWA) since 2000 or earlier, and JBLU and FL since early 2002. One call from Delta in early 2001, but interview was cancelled(though, I am supposedly on "the list" of the first people to be called when interviewing resumes) due to hiring stoppage.

Why haven't I been called by every airline? Oh, I guess I shouldn't have expected any calls since I had 1000+ TJ PIC. Ok, that was in mid 2001. Before I started building TJ PIC in late 1999, I only had 1500 TP PIC in single pilot ops(in TP's requiring a type).

Anyways, gotta go. Air America is on TBS. <sigh>, I wish it was that easy these days to get an interesting job.

You are not lucky

FracCapt: Like me your luck is not working, ever thought of YIP?

Last edited:
DA-20 Capt

Someone suggested we take this conversation off of Coly's thread. So I started a new one, do I have to keep feeding this horse, I will feed it as long as the horse wiggels. How about BBQ horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back