• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may well be true, but...

JohnDoe said:
quote:
"Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. "

...I'll betcha not having one'll send the interview train down a siding in almost ANY interview.

There are two possible answers to the question, "So, do you have a college degree?" One of them is a simple, elegant, SUCCINCT (I love that word - it's so ... well ... succinct), "Yes."

The other is, "No." This will precipitate, at a bare minimum, a, "Why not?" and it can, and sometimes does, get pretty hellish from there.

If you have a job, GREAT! If you're looking to build a career in ANYTHING, earning a college degree is a really exceptional use of your time and financial resources.

TIS

Foreign carrier ab initio training

Flyingdutchman said:
I don't know of any program in Europe where you don't have to pay for training.. There is NO such thing (anymore)
Asian airlines, e.g. JAL, JAS, ANA and Asiana, still train their pilots at their expense. JAL contracts with IASCO in Napa, California, for ab initio training. JAS may still use IASCO as well. ANA trains its pilots at IFTA in Bakersfield, California. Asiana had a contract with FlightSafety in Vero. For that matter, Tyrolean of Austria has sent trainees to FSI. Middle East companies, such as Saudia and Emirates, have sent trainees to FSI.

As an aside, IASCO and IFTA hire U.S. flight instructors. These are great instructing jobs, perhaps the best available, although IASCO is a tough place to work for.

Last edited:
Advantage(s) of having a degree

TIS said:
...I'll betcha not having one'll send the interview train down a siding in almost ANY interview.

There are two possible answers to the question, "So, do you have a college degree?" One of them is a simple, elegant, SUCCINCT (I love that word - it's so ... well ... succinct), "Yes."

The other is, "No." This will precipitate, at a bare minimum, a, "Why not?" and it can, and sometimes does, get pretty hellish from there.
Talk about coming to the point on the issue.

As always, good comments from TIS.

Originally Posted by JohnDoe
quote:
"Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. "

That was not my statement...........I was quoting that from pilotyip.

For TIS

How are guys getting hired at Spirit, SWA, and JB without degree if the absence stops the interview? True story, USA DA-20 Capt without a degree, goes to an Air Inc show in ATL, has about 4000 hrs, 1500 TJ PIC in the DA-20. Talks to a regional recruiter looking for street RJ Captains, the recruiter on the spot offers him a Captain's position. Our guys says no, the recruiter calls this guy at home trying to get him to come in for an interview. Point is how many degreed guys have recruiters calling them at home, when they said no to the airline?

pilotyip said:
How are guys getting hired at Spirit, SWA, and JB without degree if the absence stops the interview? True story, USA DA-20 Capt without a degree, goes to an Air Inc show in ATL, has about 4000 hrs, 1500 TJ PIC in the DA-20. Talks to a regional recruiter looking for street RJ Captains, the recruiter on the spot offers him a Captain's position. Our guys says no, the recruiter calls this guy at home trying to get him to come in for an interview. Point is how many degreed guys have recruiters calling them at home, when they said no to the airline?

Uhhh, pilotyip, getting called at home by Gulfstream* is nothing to brag about.

*or some other similar dirtbag operator who doesn't have any upgradable f/o's

A Squared said:
Yeah, I've heard of presumptiousness and misplased arrogance. A good example of both would be the idea that Women's Studies is a real degree. Uuuuhhhh huh, 4 years of sitting around reading Andrea Dworkin and pretending she's not a deranged psychopath....yep that's right up there with electrical engineering, or Pre-med, all the heavyweights....uhhhhuh, just keep telling yourself that. Tell you what, to top off your Women's Studies degree, why don't you matriculate over to the CCNY and do some post graduate work in Black Studies with Leonard Jeffries. Maybe you can help him perfect his Ice people/sun people bigotry. Now that would be some *real* education.
Sounds like someone feels threatened
.:D

pilotyip said:
Which "Good" Company hires RJ Captains off the street??? I would say Gilfstream or Pinnacle... Neither is ANYTHING to brag about... Those are certainly not career jobs...

pilotyip said:
Is the degree important? Probably. Is the degree a "must" to get hired? Absolutely not. I have to agree with yip here. This is coming from a guy who has the "power" to hire pilots into his company. I think his philosophy is right on, that piece of paper is not going to make a person fly any aircraft any better.

The flight experience/background that one has will be the make you or break you factor, not a degree. I have met many in recent times that were hired at carriers all across the board without a degree.

I wouldn't blow college off if that is truly a goal of yours but simply put having this degree isn't going to make you any more "marketable" in comparison to the guy with 4000+ hours of 135 PIC time, etc, without the degree.

I think yip is trying to get guys to think outside of the box, I was in disagreement with him on this issue for a long time due to my personal opinions and beliefs, unfortunately they had nothing to do with the reality of getting hired.

Pilots have been hired without the degree and will continue to be hired without one.

3 5 0

leardrivr said:
I find it strange that yip is so passionate about this subject. If he has a degree why is he so concerned with the supporting those of us don't have one?
PilotYIP's son is a DC-9 Capt at USA Jet and doesn't have a degree.

iaflyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back