• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotyip

To continue the discussion of the merits of the college degree. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. However this is not an engineering forum, this is an aviation forum. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with UPS, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 161 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Hard to believe there is an identifiable piece of that dead horse left to beat...
Ahhhh, as usual Hugh cuts right to the heart ot the matter.

Pilotyip, Keryyyyyyst!!!! get another hobby, would you? You've become both a boor and a bore.

That is a huge paragraph there buddy.:eek: :)

quote:
"Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. "

There is part of the problem....listening to Air Inc.

And the beat goes on . . . .

I will come right to the point . . . .
pilotyip said:
Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 161 places the degree is not necessary.
Assuming that 166 companies is not another Kit Darby sophistry, with a degree one can apply to all 166 places.

Considering the massive number of qualified pilots available for jobs at only 166 companies, your odds of being interviewed and hired are better if you are qualified for jobs at all of these companies.

Last edited:
I find it strange that yip is so passionate about this subject. If he has a degree why is he so concerned with the supporting those of us don't have one? I have found great success in aviation without a degree. However: Not having a degree has made my journey tougher. I agree that a college dosn't have anything to do with your piloting skill. But It says volumes about who you are as a person. Lets face it. How many times have you heard someone say. I went to the interview and they only asked me one tech question. The rest of the time it was strickly get to know who you are. If you have the flight experience to apply for a good job. Hopefully the one you want. The degree will only help because everone else will probably have one. That goes for the guy's who fly because the love to and the ones who fly because they have to. shoot I'm going back to finish my degree in human pair bonding.

leardrivr said:
I find it strange that yip is so passionate about this subject. If he has a degree why is he so concerned with the supporting those of us don't have one?
Someday, I'm going to take a DTW r.o.n. and look YIP up. With that intention, I don't want to piss him off; so.....I'll go easy. You've got to remember, YIP is management. Need I say more? Do a search for the last college degree discussion.

regards,
enigma

enigma said:
You've got to remember, YIP is management. Need I say more? Do a search for the last college degree discussion.

regards,
enigma
enigma, you'll have to pardon this (Kentucky) college educated guy, but I don't know what you mean.

Spirit's fault

If Spirit would have hired me when Zantop went out of bussiness, I would not have had to become managment. I never even got an interview, see what my college degree did for me. I mean a guy's got to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back