Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wolfpackpilot

Diehard Republican
Just bought my 1st H.D. ( '07 Patriot edition Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Told myself I'd never do it... and I did it. Took the wiff riding on one a few weeks back and we loved it. It was a very comfortable ride.

• Any tips on the bikes?
  • Whats the H.D. protocol while riding? (we're not...huh... bikers)
  • Will I get shot for wearing tennis shoes?
  • Who rides what and where?
Oh yeah.... told the wiff she had to get a bitchin new tattoo! She wont do it, so Im looking for a new Harley Momma (TC, you could wear a wig:eek: )!

Wolfpack Pilot

Wear whatever shoes you want! Screw the fake yuppy biker culture that requires a beard, lineman boots, jeans and a black tee-shirt. Nothing wrong with that, however, it sounds pretty much like a "uniform" to me.

I have a 1964 FLH Pan, and a 79 Shovel. I went out last summer clean shaven, wearing a green surgical shirt AND a helmet.:eek: Oh, the horror.

The only "true" bikers belong to "clubs" with hardcore reputations. The rest of us are hang arounds, or just want to have fun with a piece of americana.

Live to ride, ride to live......Or, so they say.

Seriously, wear a lid and leathers for the eventual laydown. Heavy boots are not a bad idea either. I wear the brown construction type just to be different. Think about it, those pipes get hot and HD's are heavy. The extra ankle support will help someday.

Enjoy.

Wonderful bike, Wolfpack. Sounds gorgeous. Husband and I have had lots of different types of bikes over, ahem...some years. Right now I ride a Gixxer 750, an old Guzzi, sometimes a VTX 1800. Husband has Beemers, Guzzi, and also an 1800. Colorado is where we ride--gorgeous and varied scenery. We're in the red rocks area.
Haven't had Harleys in a while. Hear the Glide is a great bike. Mind your mx, like any machine. Get a trickle charger for the winter.
Tennis shoes? Do you leave your O2 at home? Your Jepps.? Leave off your harness? Wear good boots. Foot bones shatter so nicely. Without gloves your hands can lose a huge amount of blood. You fly some heavy iron--prepare for the ride as you would the flight. The bike can kill you just as dead--far faster than the aircraft, statistically. Car drivers are killers. So are deer. Ditto gravel. If you're a new or returning rider, take an MSF rider course. You go to FSI or SimuFlite, don't you? Same.
Forget the silly protocol. Respect every man's and woman's ride, even if (gasp!) it's not a Harley. Try not to be sucked in by the "I'm a Hell's Angel wannabe" attitude. We woman laugh at those guys (they look so silly pretending) and the real patch holders will beat the crap out of you should you ever meet. Get a good helmet--not a beanie. I never gave a rat's ass whether anybody thought I wasn't cool for wearing a full face helmet on my cruisers--I've had rocks, not pebbles, bounce off my face shield. (Fancy your medical?) Wear leather or good cordura on your back--consider a back pad, at least heavy jeans.
Tell your "old lady" to be a woman and find a well-recommended artist for her ink. It doesn't hurt much on the ankle, say. It's a fashion statement anyway now--even for mainstream gals. Yes, female corporate pilots can have tatoos--they don't show under my Ann Taylor suit, eh.
We love all bikes in this house. Yours is a beaut! Enjoy. Ride as safe as you fly. Get good gear and get trained.
Charlene

Congrats on your purchase of an HD, you wont regret it. I'm with AASlag on the construction boots. I'd recommend ones that go above your ankles and have a steel toe. As for the rest of my outfit its usually just jeans and a t-shirt. Leathers aren't a bad idea either. Also like AASlag said leave all the bad biker look to the guys in clubs. Theres nothing worse than going to a bike rally and seeing a poser thats really just a weekend warrior. Enjoy your bike and just be yourself. Have fun out there.

I've pretty much decided to get a Vrod this spring. Now I hope I can get enough time off to enjoy it.

Question for you Harley guys. I ask with complete candor and not wanting to be flame bait.
Why do they have to be so loud? The windows of my house rattle as they drive up and down the street.
I have heard the noise is a means of safety.
And yes the jet I fly is louder than the Harleys.

Congrats on the new ride. My first HD was a 1979 FXEF. I loved it. Nothing sounds like a shovel.

Good comments so far. TAKE THE MSF CLASS! What I learned (and I've been riding since I was 5) has saved my life several times. Deer. Deer. Cars. And did I mention Deer? If you haven't figured it out yet, you are invisible to cars (especially women drivers, no offense westshan). I can't count the number of times I have looked drivers in the eye and they still pulled right out in front of me.

Two wheels are different. You need to learn how to handle counter-steer and how to avoid high siding a bike. MSF ASAP.

Jeans are worthless, even though I still wear them on hot days. Gravel and asphalt will go through it in no time. Good riding boots are a safety item. So are leathers. Check out S&S out of Amarillo. Great stuff at a good price. The cheap stuff sucks but you don't need to pay the Hein Gerke/Harley prices. Gloves and a lid. I rode for years without a lid in my younger days and managed to live. I've seen brains spilled on the road from Sturgis to Aspen. I do however support the right to choose! (Are you paying attention Nebraska?)

Watch your back tire! Don't let that tread get low.

Wait thirty minutes after a fresh rain.

Sorry for the elementary lesson. I couldn't tell if you were a rookie biker or just rookie HD. Either way have fun and ride free!

You'll have two accidents on a bike. The first is because you don't know better. The second one is because you think you know better. If you are lucky you live to talk about them.

Westshan that was one of the best responses to a question I’ve seen on the subject of motorcycles. Wolfpackpilot heed her words. I flew helicopter medical evacuations all over this country and believe me there is someone in a car that is out to get you. Be prepare and dress appropriately which means dress for safety. All you have to do is look in the news and see some bonehead forgetting some basic safety and you’re front page (Steeler’s Quarterback). I myself have a old BMW K100LT build like a Panzer but I’m not, so I ware all the appropriate safety item the Westshan eluded too. So enjoy the ride and watch your 6 your 3 your 5 etc....

Hey GV, screw 'em. I wave at every guy or guy riding two. I'd rather drink a beer with a rice rider than a Harley trailering wannbe.

Loud pipes save lives! I don't know. I toned them down the older I got. I think some like it and for some it's just a dick measuring contest.

Latest resources

Back