• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots with Harleys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bought a BMW R1100S 6 months ago after an absense of 20 years of bike riding. I love it. Sometimes when I'm out riding on my own I find myself just weaving fom the outside to the inside of the lane I'm enjoying myself so much :)

I agree with everyone about the protective gear and training. I attended the MSF course before picking up the bike and for $130 (including the bike) its well worthwhile.

As for the gear I have gloves, boots padded jacket and pants. The gear I wear is the gear I want to be wearing if I ever come off the bike.

Dealer called today...

March 2nd and the bike ships from the factory. Im counting the seconds!

Dont plan on doing anything to the bike, other than putting a small US Flag and POW flag on the two antennas. I bought a Patriot Edition, only available this year... special paint job and tank emblem for active duty and veterans.

Thanks for all the advice and info. I guess I need to break down and buy the d*mn boots and gloves. By the time Im finished with this bike, I could have put kid #1 through college... nah... rather have the bike!

A great thread guys and gals... thanks again!

Wolfpack Pilot

Aint it cool.....

There's something about bikes and planes. Folks that like flying usually like riding motorcycles too for some reason. I rode professionally for years and have riden since I was 14 (the same time I started flying) and it's very true what they say, "My bike doesnt get me so much where I want to go, it gets me where I want to be".

Full battle gear is prescribed, but some days you just want to sacrifice the risk of losing flesh for a little feeling of freedom. If you get this need, at least try the DOT 3/4 helmets sold at the HD stores. They let a good breeze in, and always wear gloves as you'll put your hands out to meet whatever it is you're falling towards and there's not a lot of meat on them after they hit that "whatever". There are those that have and those that will when it comes to taking a spill.

Like mentioned earlier, pretend everything is out to knock you off that bike. Start looking at the tires of cars about to enter the roadway rather than the car itself. Tire movement is sometimes an easier way to determine intentions. Taking the foot off the brake rotates the tire slightly and that may be enough time for you to react before they gun it. Motorcycle riding is an active-participation activity.....don't daydream unless you're doing 25 on a straight back country road with no intersections or animals and then still keep one eye on "everything".

The MSF courses are a cheap investment in making it back to the garage if you haven't riden a lot before. And, if God forbid that day comes where you're gonna hit a car suddenly, stand up on the pegs/boards. You're a pilot and you'll do a lot better flying over the car than trying to go through it.
Enjoy riding the HD, its a feeling like no other.

shoulda bought a HONDA!

j/k Harleys are a blast but my 600RR is allot quicker.

Like everyone else said, MSF course, practice by yourself before giving rides, and anytime you think you don't need gear

READ THIS
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

not for weak stomaches

Why do you have to wear special clothes to ride a Harley ? I understand the protective ( helmet, boots, etc. ) gear but all the leather fringe and do rags. And why are 80% of the women you see on Harleys fat and ugly ?

I have always loved bikes since I was a kid, but after one accident too many in NYC I no longer ride. A cab driver turned in front of me and I shattered my elbow, broke my humerus in many places etc. I have a lattice work of titanium in my right arm and a 6 inch screw in my forearm. After two operations and months of rehab, with a Bledsoe brace still on my arm, I got back on the bike. A city truck leaking diesel sent me off again. Enough was enough.
As an ex-biker I watch out for bikers all the time- but most other drivers are out there to kill you. Watch out. I wish you all safe riding; just believe that the most stupid thing a car driver could do, he probably will.

Oh and Hells Angels was formed by pilots after WWII so wear what you like as long as it's protective.

Just bought my 1st H.D. ( '07 Patriot edition Ultra Classic Electra Glide). Told myself I'd never do it... and I did it. Took the wiff riding on one a few weeks back and we loved it. It was a very comfortable ride.
  • Any tips on the bikes?
  • Whats the H.D. protocol while riding? (we're not...huh... bikers)
  • Will I get shot for wearing tennis shoes?
  • Who rides what and where?
Oh yeah.... told the wiff she had to get a bitchin new tattoo! She wont do it, so Im looking for a new Harley Momma (TC, you could wear a wig:eek: )!

Wolfpack Pilot

Congrats on your new ride. I have 06 Streetglige and West coast custom. Try motorcycleevents.com when you get a chance. Good website. Also I would recommend boots-(justin soft sole work boots are excellent) about 100.00, as far as a lid I only wear em when required (other states) but everyone has a thought on it. (I am a riding safety instructor as well, lol) Anyway, PM me I have alot of cool websites I can send you and maybe we can meet up for a ride sometime.

Why do you have to wear special clothes to ride a Harley ? I understand the protective ( helmet, boots, etc. ) gear but all the leather fringe and do rags. And why are 80% of the women you see on Harleys fat and ugly ?

Who knows. Bought my first Harley (250cc Sprint H) in the 60's and have owned several over the years. Always loved ridding, but never considered myself a biker. I don't like fat women! Will probably ride my Ultra to bike week this year. After that I plan to sell and replace it with a Yamaha FJR. Looks like it will be much more fun, and a fat chick would be out of place on an FJR.

HEADWIND

Latest resources

Back