Pilots with a CDL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HU-16 said:
I used to drive a truck for my fathers business that required a Class B CDL, which I no longer hold. (They wouldn't renew it without a DOT medical, so I let it go) My question is, if I'm go drive truck for a few days while I'm home and something happens in which I get some sort of ticket for not having the CDL would it look really bad on my record?

Isnt that sort of like flying checks or freight while possessing only a private pilot's certificate? Assuming you would not do that, why would you then ask the masses if it is okay for to break the rules for another profession?
:rolleyes:

OkOK

I realize that many of you thought my question was a little stupid, but I was just curious if it would be worse than a speeding ticket on my record. Anyhow to make a long story short, I just received my new license. The lady at the DMV told me it wouldn't be a Class B CDL, well it is. Although I don't have a current medical, so it isn't valid. And as far as flying checks with a private pilots license, I understand your point but you missed a few things. I had a license in the past, just not a current one. And since the boss helps pay for my flying, I'm more than willing to help him out in a pinch. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little.

Well actually I understand giving/getting very well but I am trying to make a point but my analogy was not very good. So, here is a better attempt. To put this in perspective then what you are asking us is do we think it is okay for you to drive a truck in commercial operations. You have a commercial license but in the state in which you will operate this vehicle a medical exam is required to exercise the priviliges of your license. Unfortunately your commercial drivers license medical exam is expired and needs to be renewed for you to be legal on the road right?

Now dont misunderstand, I am not looking for a flame war or an argument but from a liability standpoint, what would be the difference between this and flying an aircaft in commercial operations without a valid medical certificate. You cant act as pilot in command in that example so my question for you is why should it be any different on the highways and byways? I realize that you are not likely to have an inccident or accident but the rules and regualtions are there for a reason. Think of the consequences should one occur. You would be liable (possibly criminally liable) should something happen. Do you really want to risk a career on that?

Latest resources

Back