Pilots with a CDL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HU-16

I'm currently going to flight school in FL, but I'm home for awhile over the holidays. I used to drive a truck for my fathers business that required a Class B CDL, which I no longer hold. (They wouldn't renew it without a DOT medical, so I let it go) My question is, if I'm go drive truck for a few days while I'm home and something happens in which I get some sort of ticket for not having the CDL would it look really bad on my record? Particularily at interviews and such. I may worry too much, but I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot this early in the game! Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!

YES! Any airline interview is going to be more difficult if you have any laws broken in your past. Many airlines ask to see a 10 year driving record, and with all of the recent events, I would expect airline hiring and security to increase exponentially. I would recommend you break no laws for any reason. I would hate to hear that making a few extra bucks over the holidays prevented you from realizing your dream. Just a word of caution.

Many airlines ask to see a 10 year driving record, and with all of the recent events, I would expect airline hiring and security to increase exponentially. I would recommend you break no laws for any reason.

Yes, given all the new and well thought out security directives coming forth from the FAA, when you go to your next airline interview, you will be required to remove your shoes, socks, and belt prior to the personal interview....<grin>

Why not go back to the doctor who gave you a flight physical and ask him to just fill out the form. He may charge you a few extra dollars, but the physical is the same except for the forms used. I too hold a class A cdl which I am forced to use during lean times such as now. When I get my 1st class I just ask the doctor to do both forms and he charges no more. As for taking chances, be careful, they are checking more and more drivers for paperwork and if you screw up, you are on the national drivers registry because it is a cdl. Not just your state. That cdl can be a problem even if you do something in your personal vehicle. It goes national. Best of luck

Bill:)

What they are looking for is are you going with the system or bucking it. Don't take the chance, it shows willingness to bend the rules, bad dodo.

What the airlines think is just a small detail. You might want to check into just the fines alone. It gets extremely expensive for both the driver and company. Last Commercial Vehicle Trooper I talked, up here, it was $5,000 to the driver and $10,000 to the company (or something close to that.)

Soon to be in similar circumstance. I'm planning on attending FSI in Oct. of 2002 or Jan. of 2003. Which school are you attending?

ACA didn't give me an interview because I had a speeding ticket within the past 5 years. How's that for horse**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** !

CDL

I agree wholeheartedly with the others. Don't do things you're not supposed to do. Airlines look for hazardous or dangerous tendencies in applicants. If you're perceived as willful or too independent, you'll be sent home. One of the five hazardous attitudes which are taught in ADM include anti-authority; Don't tell me what to do. The antidote: Follow the rules; they're usually right.

Some food for thought. My cousin was driving a truck in the family business and got into an accident. He was properly certified, and the accident wasn't his fault. Someone hit a vehicle from behind, and pushed that car into my cousins lane. He didn't have time to stop, and ended up squashing the car----and killing a 12 year old girl. It wasn't his fault, but the courts still awarded her parents $500,000. Could you imagine what the award would be if he wasn't even certified to be driving the truck that day?
(The guy who caused the accident in the first car didn't have any insurance, and was borrowing his girlfriends car.)

I agree with all above. Keep your nose clean! A friend did not get a dream job with UAL because of his driving record.

Good Luck!!

Latest resources

Back