• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have 1100 PIC in the Mighty Beech 1900D, flew in the Pit system and the KC system. Great experience, nothing like 6 to 9 legs, every other leg flying down to mins. I have an ipod, got it for fathers day and I have gray hair. I fly the emb-145 now as a captain and I love it but I do miss the beech, just not the pay.

Any one who has flown a emb 130-145 has basically flown a turbo prop. That jet was designed as a transition jet. In other words, It has the benifits of a jet without the jet problems such as the coffin corner ( that is where the highspeed buffet and low speed buffet are very close)

With all due respect I don't think that comparing an E145 to a Jetstream, Metroliner, Bandit, or Shorts 330/360 is really apples-to-apples.

With all due respect I don't think that comparing an E145 to a Jetstream, Metroliner, Bandit, or Shorts 330/360 is really apples-to-apples.

I somewhat disagree.

The taco rocket and the lawn dart are flying similar routes to the J-ball, sewer tube, Bandit and Flying Box did 10-15 years ago...along with medium-length routes flown by DC-9s, F28s-F100s, 727s and 737s. Many passengers now regard 50 seat RJs with the same disdain as Beech 1900s, Saabs or Dashes (or Jetstreams or Metros) as being small and noisy, with no jetbridges and small or nonexistant overhead bins. Sure RJs have a ton more automation and speed than 220kt turboprops and can get above most weather, but everyone is still regarded as a "commuter pilot" to the uninformed masses.

I never flew a Jetstream but I worked with many people that did and have nothing but the utmost respect for those who choose to.

As I said earlier, the 50 seat RJ is the 19 seat turboprop of this decade.

I iron my shirts...don't like the hat (contributes to male pattern baldness)...have never owned an iPod...no spikes or gel in my military high-and-tight haircut. Funny thing is I fly with a few captains who are younger than me and have spiked hair and ipods...backpacks too.

I'd like to think mainlines will stop giving up scope and RJ's will return their intended purpose...prolly a pipe dream.

Those that say that the RJs are the same as the 1900, couldn't make it through a week out on the line actually flying the aeroplane.

Props are for boats, and boots are for cowboys!

Went from light twin to ERJ FO. Upgraded to Capt. on the J-41. Back on the Lawn Dart as a Capt. Learned a lot as an MEI. Learned a lot as an ERJ FO. Learned a lot as a TP Capt. Still learning a lot as an ERJ Capt.

No iPod, but seriously considering XM Radio!:)

I'm sticking with the 1900 and a stable commuter outfit. I want to rack those hours that count fast. Plus, the regionals make me sick. ...scabs all of them I tell you! ...for the first two years they get 19 seat pay for a 50+ seat jet! <G>

:)

...and on the serious side, its probably the last bit of real flying I'll be doing.

I flew the mighty 1900D for 3500 hours with most of that time in DEN and the mountains. That experience was invaluable, in my opinion.

A few of my friends who moved into RJ's said that their hand-flying skills were the best they ever were when they flew the no-autopliot Beeches. I know that I find it takes more effort to keep up the raw-data skills in a much better-equipped jet.

I think the 1900D was great experience to have and a fun plane to fly. But I prefer the paycheck and the better equipment at my current job.

Shoot, a friend's dad was hired by United with a private certicate. It's not like this is a new thing. I would have gladly taken a prop (in fact was hoping for the Dash-8), but a jet company called first, so there we are. Just hand fly raw data in the jet to keep yourself up to speed, use the the magic "F/D" button. Automation is great for cruise, but I took the job to fly, not to push buttons.

No hat (just one more thing to lose), ironed shirt and pants, regular hair. I love my ipod too, but still don't understand walking around the terminal with it on, even when not in uniform.

Latest resources

Back